Moonhorse

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
This is my config on my oneplus 5t. The glass is bit broken ( thanks to my dog ) , but you dont see any difference in picture even the glass is bit broken. I might use this year or two from now.

Basically setup is :
Google chrome
Adguard lifetime
Avast free antivirus

Reason i use google chrome, its preinstalled and avast free web filtering works with it.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I dont use VPN as i dont visit shady wifis and only use the mobile internet i have
+ F-secure as VPN
Do you now visit shady Wi-Fi?

On a serious note, VPNs have been proven useful for Airbnb/Hotel WiFi and when a mobile data connection is not in range (ie. foreign country or deadzone)

Subscribers to Google One, should have access to VPN by Google One in supported regions.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Do you now visit shady Wi-Fi?

On a serious note, VPNs have been proven useful for Airbnb/Hotel WiFi and when a mobile data connection is not in range (ie. foreign country or deadzone)

Subscribers to Google One, should have access to VPN by Google One in supported regions.
I dont use shady/free wi-fi, only thing where i could think using it is in long train trips in finland, wifi on train usually works bit better than cellular data.

I dont visit other countries and i live on countryside where you dont need wifi that much on public places , i only use it at home or on my sisters house because it usually works better than mobile data ( in countryside 4g doesnt work, they drive 3g down so 2g is all that works, thats why we have fiber in our houses and wifi on it

F

ForgottenSeer 103564

Updated my config 14.11.2023

+ added f-secure as antivirus
+ F-secure as VPN
+ Firefox as browser with the adguard extension
+ Dns0 zero as DNS

Also upgraded android from 13 to 14
As pointed out by @Ink you have option to use google VPN because of your Google One account.
I want to ask, why you use Firefox on a Pixel, is it only for use of extensions, or are there beliefs it somehow gives you privacy. Most do not even bother to look in the about:config of firefox and realize it has google embedded in it in a few places, like Googles safe browsing:, let alone doing this on an all Google Phone. The antivirus is really unnecessary on an android phone that sandbox's all its apps. Its not like if it detects an infected app it will remove it for you. DNS's are subjective and mostly useless in blocking from what i have seen. Why this is considered advanced plus is beyond me, it looks like a lot of unnecessary changes to a out of the box secure phone.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
The antivirus is really unnecessary on an android phone that sandbox's all its apps. Its not like if it detects an infected app it will remove it for you.
FluBot infection:

2023-11-21_15-42-09.png
2023-11-21_15-42-50.png
2023-11-21_15-43-38.png

F

ForgottenSeer 103564

While i stand corrected to the first product i have seen that actually offers to remove the app, the point above was over looked and missed. By default out of the box the phone is secure, adding tons of goofy apps and changes, makes it not secure any more. Play protect is built in and scans the apps, its part of the ecosystem. Its up to the user to vet apps and potential issues.

Screenshot 2023-11-21 9.18.24 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-11-21 9.18.24 AM.png

Changes like the browser, adding a extension to it. Most user if we are truthful, rarely use the browser on their phone unless they have no other computer or devices to use. They make look up a thing or two while out, but rarely sit on the device for hours on end researching. Using apps in place of online webservices is getting ridiculous anymore, These apps are nothing short of data collection software that are vulnerable . Personally i use my phone for a phone. Why, because it is the hub of all a person does and uses, and if its nailed, everything you interact with is compromised. Treat it as such. Use your computers and online services, quit with all the goofy apps and stating , why did i get nailed. First thing one should consider as in your screen shot, sure the product detected an issue, but let me play captain obvious here, the issue is already on the phone, damage done, nice of the app to offer to remove it afterwards. How about being proactive, teaching others to do the same. Instead of here, just spend money, place more apps on your system.

Im not trying to offend anyone, im trying to show users that altering and placing tons of apps on devices actually can open you up to more vulnerabilities. Im trying to show that privacy is a myth, a ridiculous one. Just as using firefox, or other chromium browsers does not afford you privacy from google or other companies that make a living from data. Most of this is all a farce. Using common sense will carry you much further. Contingencies , intelligence, and backups will as well. Dont want your data stolen, then do not divulge it openly online. Don't want ransomware to ruin your photos and videos of loved ones, keep them stored on external devices not on your system, you can always access them when needed. Its about not having to pay extra money for a device already secure out of the box, its about using your head when dealing with services, apps.

Last edited by a moderator:

Moonhorse

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
As pointed out by @Ink you have option to use google VPN because of your Google One account.
I want to ask, why you use Firefox on a Pixel, is it only for use of extensions, or are there beliefs it somehow gives you privacy. Most do not even bother to look in the about:config of firefox and realize it has google embedded in it in a few places, like Googles safe browsing:, let alone doing this on an all Google Phone. The antivirus is really unnecessary on an android phone that sandbox's all its apps. Its not like if it detects an infected app it will remove it for you. DNS's are subjective and mostly useless in blocking from what i have seen. Why this is considered advanced plus is beyond me, it looks like a lot of unnecessary changes to a out of the box secure phone.
1. If you wouldve read the config, you would notice i use adguard extension on firefox, most chromium browsers dont have extension support.
2. I use firefox beta because of about:config tweaks, im not into privacy but i have some settings i prefer over default firefox
3. i use F-secure on desktop and on all family devices, its optimized properly so no battery drain because of antivirus and i want to see how it performs as im using it on kids devices i prefer same config on every device.
4. I use VPN of F-secure as it comes with the total security, internet security is going to be discontinued this year

Lastly i could use google chrome + google vpn, but what adblocker? I would have to download adguard on my phone

There is nothing overkill using firefox + adguard extension + f-secure anitvirus + f-secure vpn

Why make such big deal about someones config? I appreciate your post but this is normal setup

F

ForgottenSeer 103564

1. If you wouldve read the config, you would notice i use adguard extension on firefox, most chromium browsers dont have extension support.
2. I use firefox beta because of about:config tweaks, im not into privacy but i have some settings i prefer over default firefox
3. i use F-secure on desktop and on all family devices, its optimized properly so no battery drain because of antivirus and i want to see how it performs as im using it on kids devices i prefer same config on every device.
4. I use VPN of F-secure as it comes with the total security, internet security is going to be discontinued this year

Lastly i could use google chrome + google vpn, but what adblocker? I would have to download adguard on my phone

There is nothing overkill using firefox + adguard extension + f-secure anitvirus + f-secure vpn

Why make such big deal about someones config? I appreciate your post but this is normal setup
I did read your config, its why i stated what i did. Looking for feedback, its what is at the bottom correct, i gave it, how you use it, is up to you at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:

Moonhorse

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Sharing knowledge, helping others learn, or see what they may be over looking. The point of the config sharing is not to show off, but to have others share insights correct?
You can share your thoughts here if you want to, but personally i dont think my mobile security is overkill and paying 20eur for f-secure a year isnt bad deal, its my monies after all, and as i stated im not privacy hyped i just use firefox beta for better experience due about:config and extended extension support. i love vivaldi browser aswell, but i would only use it with adguard

If i wanted to use google chrome on my android, i would use trend micro and adguard setup ( adguard on vpn slot)

its not like i need the vpn or antivirus or adblocker on my OWN device, i just feel comfortable with the current setup and im not going to look elsewhere currently

And yes i use google mail, calendar, drive etc. i have never stated im anti-google person or im looking for privacy oriented setup

maybe im dumm but im happy dumm

edit: im on MalwareTips mostly to learn new things, i never expected someone to comment my config that way , i dont mean to offend anyone i just feel bit confused

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 103564

edit: im on MalwareTips mostly to learn new things, i never expected someone to comment my config that way , i dont mean to offend anyone i just feel bit confused
Without going to far into this, as im not trying to hijack your thread, but i must respond if you question. My point of my comment was to teach, that sometimes in life, less is more. That by default things are secure, until you overload them with unnecessary making them insecure. The more you add software, the more vulnerabilities you introduce. ect,ect. In a forum full of security enthusiast, my comments will not be met with enthusiasm, but it does not mean they are irrelative.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
maybe I'm dumm but im happy dumm

You are far from dumb for many reasons.

Not only did you create this thread and asked for help with recommendations, and got those from the one and only @harlan4096 that decide on all configurations threads and their security tags on this forum.

You also done collaboration that is unknown to most, that got millions of users protected against a malicious threat. So please don't beat yourself down and I do understand why you feel confused, but try to concentrate on the main tag. No problem at all. (y)

I'm a bit curious. What do you personal think and feel is pros and cons if you compared the 3 phones you owned so far?

Moonhorse

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Without going to far into this, as im not trying to hijack your thread, but i must respond if you question. My point of my comment was to teach, that sometimes in life, less is more. That by default things are secure, until you overload them with unnecessary making them insecure. The more you add software, the more vulnerabilities you introduce. ect,ect. In a forum full of security enthusiast, my comments will not be met with enthusiasm, but it does not mean they are irrelative.
When i bought pixel i was thinkin im going all in with google services but im kind of been always a firefox user, even google chrome in benchmarks is doing much better on android, but you got me thinking maybe i give a try with google VPN, even the f-secure is giving me identical speeds as my ISP does

In Finland the Internet security providers are all selling f-secure as bundle offer, like everyone i know is using f-secure here
:unsure:

on desktop i was very long using cruels cf + antivirus combo and different hardening tools, but nowadays i only run f-secure so im less paranoid than before, i get what less is more is

and after all youre not hijacking my thread youre just telling me that less is more and i should use google services instead of using 3rd party tools , wich is okayish

I'm a bit curious. What do you personal think and feel is pros and cons if you compared the 3 phones you owned so far
Actually nokia lumia 830 was best phone i had used ever, but after it was discontinued update wise i swapped to oneplus 5t wich i was using for like 4 years i think, if it never broke i would use it still this day. After 5t broke up i was using my moms old sony xperia wich was ok being 2018 released phone, working well this day even it was 200 usd phone back then....

And now im pixel user, im far from google user, i dont have chromebook or pixel watch, i even use microsoft launcher because i dont like pixel launcher at all

Pixel just is clean android, efficient cpu and good camera, otherwise its same phone as non pixel phones are. it just reminds me of good times of oneplus where you could get flagship phone for mid price, pixel feels like flagship phone but it only costs like 300 usd, so im feeling im living the oneplus 5t time once again

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.