More K-12 schools in the US are choosing affordable Windows devices, according to Futuresource

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Thread author
Verified
Apr 21, 2016

We believe that every student deserves an education that unlocks their limitless potential. This is why Microsoft is committed to helping schools make the most of their budgets with affordable, easy to manage devices that are safe and secure, and equipped with Microsoft365 Education software that helps deliver better learning outcomes and saves teachers time. These Windows 10 devices are available at competitive prices and don’t force schools to compromise on features that will help students learn. With devices optimized for education, students can get access to cutting-edge tools like touch, inking, and 3D as well as free accessibility technology like Learning Tools, which in a recent study has shown to improve reading comprehension.

Futuresource report reveals growth for Windows share in K-12 education

Today, Futuresource released their quarterly market report for Q4, revealing Windows share grew an additional 6.5 points year-over-year in US K-12 education for devices under $300, marking the highest share in four years in this price category.

Recent announcements illustrate our continued commitment to deliver devices and experiences that are affordable to schools. For example, in January at Bett in London we expanded our device and learning experience offerings with the introduction of new Windows 10 devices starting at just $189, building on our education device portfolio with new 2-in-1s under $300 and notebooks under $200. To make it easier for schools of all sizes to access Microsoft Education, earlier this year we also announced lifetime device licenses at just $30 per Windows laptop or 2-in-1, with qualified purchases eligible to receive free Professional Development led by certified Microsoft training partners.

The power of teachers with the right technology

I continue to be inspired by the educators using technology to empower their students in the classroom. We know the impact that personalized tools can have in helping students of all abilities improve critical skills like reading and language while ensuring that every student can contribute their voice in a truly inclusive classroom. Learning Tools improves reading, writing, and comprehension for all students and levels the playing field for the one in five students who have a learning difference.

Most recently, we captured this story from a teacher at the City of Westminster College in London, who is using technology to better communicate with students who have hearing impairments.

For educator Esam Baboukhanas, the question he needed to answer was: how do you make sure everyone can use their voice, especially when they don’t speak aloud? His student, Kabir, has a hearing impairment and is accompanied by a sign language interpreter in classes. Yet neither Baboukhan nor most of his students are versed in British Sign Language (BSL), so communicating with Kabir had always meant relying on his interpreter.

“The way I teach needs to take into consideration everyone’s needs in my class, including Kabir’s,” says Baboukhan. Baboukhan looked for a technology tool that could help bridge this communication gap. As soon as he introduced Windows and Microsoft Teams into the classroom, Baboukhan knew he’d found the right tool to help all students collaborate more effectively.

This is just one example of the positive impact technology can have on learning for both teachers and students.

More schools choosing Microsoft as their technology partner

The leaders, creators, and innovators of the future are sitting in today’s classrooms, and technology is changing the way these students work, communicate, create, and learn. At Microsoft, we are working hard every day to give educators the tools they need to unlock limitless learning for all students so they can achieve their wildest ambitions in life. With the extensive growth of our product portfolio in the past year, we’re proud and humbled to see more and more schools choosing Microsoft as their technology partner. Here are a few recent milestones:

• Every month, more than one million new Windows 10 devices are being used by students in K-12 and higher education.
  • OneNote has grown more than 75 percent in the last year, and more than 18 million new student notebooks have been created in OneNote since the start of the school year.
  • Microsoft Learning Tools usage is growing at an incredible rate with more than 10 million monthly active users across Word, OneNote, Outlook, Microsoft Edge, and Office Lens2 and is supported in more than 30 languages. Learning Tools has been shown to increase reading speed and comprehension for students of all abilities, leading to test scores that are 10 percent higher than students who did not use Learning Tools.

Our greatest goal is to empower students to reach their full potential and we will continue to work hard to deliver innovative technology for students and educators around the world to unlock limitless learning with Microsoft Education.

More K-12 schools in the US are choosing affordable Windows devices, according to Futuresource

Tweet This

Source

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Micro$oft FUD.

70% of the school market is now ChromeOS. It's predicted by 2020, ChromeOS will hold close to 90%. Microsoft has plunged to around 18-19% share in K-12. Windows would be a horrible environment to deploy in schools, and virtually impossible to secure. IT Budgets would skyrocket. In the city where I live, they replaced everything with ChromeBooks and never looked back.

Microsoft already lost this war.

Reactions: upnorth

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
70% of the school market is now ChromeOS. It's predicted by 2020, ChromeOS will hold close to 90%. Microsoft has plunged to around 18-19% share in K-12.
That sounds interesting. Source?

I'm curious to read about it because we had a similar case in my town a few years ago where ChromeOS was on the rise and alot of kids was very happy as it was smooth as silk.

Last edited:
Reactions: ZeroDay
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Multiple dozens of articles and studies I've read in the last year.

Interestingly, I have kids myself, I see how the entire 'ecosystem' of schools is now wrapped around Google Apps, Google Collaboration and Secure ChromeOS. Literally everything both of my school age kids do is involved with Chrome now. Assignment postings all the way to doing the assignments and grading by the teachers. The ecosystem has expanded so fast schools don't even budget for anything but Chromebooks anymore, at least in my state.

How Google is Taking Over the Classroom

Marketshare in 2016 was already approaching 60%, and has surpassed that.
Sales of Mobile PCs into the US K-12 Education Market Continue to Grow - Press Article

Just in 2017 they averaged a 2% K-12 increase every quarter, a trend that according to what I have read is escalating as adoption rises, upgrades and new yearly budgets come up factoring Chromebook instead of Apple and Microsoft.

Chrome OS Continues to Dominate the K-12 US Market – ClintonFitch.com

Numbers from sources vary from 60-70% current market, 1-4% increase per quarter. The most conservative estimates put them at a near 90% marketshare in K-12 by 2020.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.