More RAM in Android Phones – and why that’s stupid!

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

@Local Host with all respect, you know it is bullshit argument from phone manufacturers, right? You go swim with your phone? You never buy phone covers or protections?

Not saying, I have a Microsoft Lumia 950XL, not a cheap phone when it was released, where the battery was removable, i live in a tropical area where you can have high humidity and sudden heavy rain out of the blue, one day I was caught under a sudden heavy rain, I was soaked like crazy in 3mn, my Lumia as well, it never had problem functioning... And I can say the same for my older phones with removable batteries.

L

Local Host

@Local Host with all respect, you know it is bullshit argument from phone manufacturers, right? You go swim with your phone? You never buy phone covers or protections?

Not saying, I have a Microsoft Lumia 950XL, not a cheap phone when it was released, where the battery was removable, i live in a tropical area where you can have high humidity and sudden heavy rain out of the blue, one day I was caught under a sudden heavy rain, I was soaked like crazy in 3mn, my Lumia as well, it never had problem functioning... And I can say the same for my older phones with removable batteries.
Phone covers and protections can only do so much, you can drown a phone in water and still have it working properly (the deeper and more water enters the phone, the lower the chances of it surviving).

If water reaches the circuit board whasoever though (while it's turned on), you can go and buy a new one, having removable batteries increases the risk of corrosion by tenfold (OEMs protect both the circuit board and battery from corrosion by isolating them).

This is basic knowledge to anyone with a degree in electronics.

The same way I can wash my computer parts in a dish washer (as long as I don't use soap), dry it properly before reassembling and turning it back on (is how I clean my desktop actually).

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
The bateries aren't removable due to water protection, there's no scam behind it.
iPhones never had removable batteries, to stop users from replacing batteries themselves. It originally had nothing at to do with water resistance and everything to do with increasing profits. You can have a water resistant phone, with a removable battery. The Galaxy S5 and the Motorola Defy, are two examples of this. They just had covers over the charging port.

As well, there are many phones, such as my Redmi Note 4X that don't have removable batteries and are not water resistant. I know I'd much rather have a removable battery than not have one.

Having said that, you can be lucky and have a really long lasting battery. A friend has a Note 2 and after about 7 years of use, the battery life has not deteriorated much.

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

This is basic knowledge to anyone with a degree in electronics.
I have one, not engineer but enough to know have the basics.
It is why i say it is bullshit marketing argument, only idiots wouldn't protect their phones (especially expensive ones) under heavy rain or put in under deep water for long period, even rain will never go heavily inside a phone if in your bag or pocket, at worst you will have some humidity on the screen, which will be solved by letting the phone dry.
As i said above, i am used to adverse weather conditions, never saw any of my phones fell dead even when wet.

Anyway a phone isn't made to be put under water, so the irreplaceable battery is just here to make people buy a new model instead; this is just marketing, nothing to do with protection.

Reactions: roger_m
L

Local Host

I have one, not engineer but enough to know have the basics.
It is why i say it is bullshit marketing argument, only idiots wouldn't protect their phones (especially expensive ones) under heavy rain or put in under deep water for long period, even rain will never go heavily inside a phone if in your bag or pocket, at worst you will have some humidity on the screen, which will be solved by letting the phone dry.
As i said above, i am used to adverse weather conditions, never saw any of my phones fell dead even when wet.

Anyway a phone isn't made to be put under water, so the irreplaceable battery is just here to make people buy a new model instead; this is just marketing, nothing to do with protection.
Water protection is a selling point not much different from the overprovision of RAM.

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Somehow I did managed to get my SD616 3GB RAM Redmi Note 3 phone spoiled recently just last week. End up I have to make use of my Spare phone temporarily, SD 615 2GB Mi4i. Both from Xiaomi. But performance wise was very far off.
Mi4i was very unresponsive and lag. Opening up an app is ok. but scrolling them..... takes ages (at least 5 mins and above).

XLR8R

Level 4
Jan 20, 2020
Well. Android OS is not well optimize than ISO. Instead adding more RAM, why don't they, and by they I meant Google and smartphone manufacturers optimizing Android OS. More RAM lead to more power consumption.

Well the thing is nowadays the vendors are using AI algorithms to keep apps loaded in memory. The direct result is much smoother user experience. That is why there is a RAM spike lately. The average non gamer won't need more than 3GB, average gamer needs only 6GB. 8GB+ is overkill, but is probably being given because of memory performance concerns. 4GB + 2GB will not give the same dual channel performance as 4GB+4GB configuration. We are also forgetting available memory bandwidth and latencies as a performance factor here.

Somehow I did managed to get my SD616 3GB RAM Redmi Note 3 phone spoiled recently just last week. End up I have to make use of my Spare phone temporarily, SD 615 2GB Mi4i. Both from Xiaomi. But performance wise was very far off.
Mi4i was very unresponsive and lag. Opening up an app is ok. but scrolling them..... takes ages (at least 5 mins and above).

Old kernel, more heavily modified OS in older Chinese phones. Newer ones much better.

[B said:
ForgottenSeer 85911[/B]
battery wear begins immediately
within 1 year one begins to see its effect

It shouldn't be the case on Samsung, LG and Sony phones. They are doing very advanced battery management that manages to hold capacity well after 2 years.

Well, Chinese brands might not be good in this regard as they do not have the same experience or skill or patents for battery management that the above 3 companies do.

Local Host said:
(people pay premium for that nonsense, as well as the extra RAM and many other features).

Just buy an oppo phone, 90% of those are water resistant without even advertising it.

Local Host said:
(is how I clean my desktop actually).

desktop parts can contain thermal paste. Does water not affect that?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.