Level 11
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
Source : More than 1 billion people now use Google's Chrome app every month

The app for Google's Chrome web browser now has more than 1 billion monthly active users, and smartphone usage is set to overtake its desktop usage, director of product management Rahul Roy-Chowdhury tells Business Insider.

That trend has shaped some of the team's biggest ambitions for the coming year: finding ways to make the Chrome experience use less data — like through improving image compression — and encouraging developers to create "progressive web apps" which work in browsers like Chrome, but feel like apps.

A lot of Chrome's new users are coming from emerging markets where smartphones are the entry point to the web and people have slower connections, so finding ways to make Chrome suck up less data is crucial if it wants those users.

"Mobile-first markets are very important go us," Roy-Chowdhury says.

Google first launched Chrome nearly eight years ago — it was actually one of the most important initiatives spearheaded by Sundar Pichai, who eventually became the company's CEO.

The browser is currently celebrating its 50th update, so Google shared these other stats on just how big Chrome has gotten:

20160420153731.jpg

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Since Google Chrome came as a player in browser competition, its not only the performance and reliability but the name of 'Google' highly influence the user to choose the browser instead.

Reactions: Jrs30 and dJim

dJim

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Mar 12, 2016
yeah.. the name its what make most of ppl " going for it " .
P.S : 1 billion = 1.000.000.000.000.? maybe u want say one thousand of million 1.000.000.000. ?

Reactions: Jrs30 and frogboy

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
yeah.. the name its what make most of ppl " going for it " .
P.S : 1 billion = 1.000.000.000.000.? maybe u want say one thousand of million 1.000.000.000. ?

If I recall correctly, the names we use for numbers in the US are different from other countries. 1,000,000,000,000 is 1 trillion.

As for Chrome, I do use it on my phone/tablet. 99.99% of my browsing on the computer. Use phone to look things up quickly if I need to.

Reactions: Jrs30 and frogboy

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Not a conscious choice to install it by many people I'd say, as it is/was bundled with many popular applications.
On modern Android devices, Chrome is the default browser with Beta and Dev available in the Play Store.

I agree that for desktop users it's bundled with many installers, but that's not to say it's a bad browser. It's actually one of the more favourable browsers amongst privacy-conscious web users.

Reactions: Jrs30

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Yes, Chrome is highly influence in terms of reliability and speed which why many installer bundled it rather other alternatives.

Reactions: Jrs30 and Ink
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.