More Users Confirm Windows 10 Cumulative Update KB3163018 Installation Issues

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Cumulative updates are very helpful for Windows 10 users because they bring their computers fully up to date, but every once in a while, there are some causing more harm than good. And KB3163018, the most recent cumulative update for Windows 10, seems to be doing just that.

As we reported yesterday, there were already isolated reports about KB3163018 failing to install and causing various problems on a number of Windows 10 PCs, and now more users seem to confirm that this update is indeed leading to different issues.

Most often, the update fails to install, and the computer starts “undoing changes,” and this is the most frequent error message that users are getting not only when trying to deploy this update but any of the previous cumulative update that caused similar problems.
“Undoing changes”
“Windows latest cumulative update KB3163018 keeps failing to install. The other 2 updates for June installed fine. However, the last cumulative updates for Windows that successfully installed was in March; so, now it makes April, May and June failing to install,” one user explains on Microsoft’s Community forums.

“Then I get the restart message (which I then restart) and the install always says 7% and then it says something to the effect of ‘Windows could not complete the update and undoing the changes.’”

There are users, however, complaining about bigger issues experienced after installing this update. It appears that KB3163018 breaks down Cisco CCX/finesse web pages in Internet Explorer and Edge, while everything works correctly in Google Chrome. Uninstalling the update seems to restore full functionality in the two browsers.

For the moment, Microsoft is yet to acknowledge these issues, and the chances are that the update will continue to be available for download via Windows Update, as it’s not very clear how widespread all these problems actually are. On the other hand, Microsoft’s engineers are out there providing workarounds, so it remains to be seen if all issues can be successfully repaired.

L

Lucent Warrior

I have AMD graphics and it tries to download them every time. I blocked it with a tool from Microsoft but every time I clean up the SoftwareDistribution folder, windows update starts downloading them all over again.
Download the latest AMD drivers package, and save it to the system. Disconnect from the internet, and the go into the control panel and select AMD install manager, and click uninstall, leave the option to uninstall ALL previous drivers alone as you want them all uninstalled, you want a clean install, let it do its thing and restart, make sure the internet connect stays undone through this whole process. While still not connected, install the newest version again, and when done restart the system for full change effect, then connect to the internet.

AlphaBeta

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Oct 24, 2015
Download the latest AMD drivers package, and save it to the system. Disconnect from the internet, and the go into the control panel and select AMD install manager, and click uninstall, leave the option to uninstall ALL previous drivers alone as you want them all uninstalled, you want a clean install, let it do its thing and restart, make sure the internet connect stays undone through this whole process. While still not connected, install the newest version again, and when done restart the system for full change effect, then connect to the internet.
Yeah, I did all that a long time ago. Uninstalled AMD, used the AMD Cleanup Utility, did a restart, reinstalled AMD and restarted, with and without the internet. This happened with my realtek drivers too. I would really appreciate Microsoft detecting my drivers and not trying to download its own.

L

Lucent Warrior

Yeah, I did all that a long time ago. Uninstalled AMD, used the AMD Cleanup Utility, did a restart, reinstalled AMD and restarted, with and without the internet. This happened with my realtek drivers too. I would really appreciate Microsoft detecting my drivers and not trying to download its own.
Have you run the trouble shooting utility to reset windows updates with admin privileges after doing the process i listed above?

AlphaBeta

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Oct 24, 2015
Have you run the trouble shooting utility to reset windows updates with admin privileges after doing the process i listed above?
If I try that, it just resets the windows update components. That means it downloads every single driver for my PC again and fails to install them.
Here's the method I use to block them until I have a need to clean up the SoftwareDistribution.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.