Advice Request Most convenient VPN during Windows startup on non-admin account

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Locust

Thread author
Apr 1, 2016
I've recently converted to using a standard user account, and it seems that it's basically impossible to get Private Internet Access configured to startup automatically, and even manually starting it myself I need to go through the UAC prompt and enter the admin PIN. Or if it is possible, their own support staff don't know how to get it going automatically on a non-admin account.

So, PIA has been great, but with the ever increasing sophistication of malware, we're locking down our laptops further, and are looking for a new VPN (or way to configure PIA, if you know something their help desk doesn't, I don't know how well trained they are). Criteria that are sought:
-Ability to get it going automatically with startup on non-admin account, without UAC prompt
-Either through VPN client's native functionality, or firewall rules or something, disallow system from connecting to internet except through VPN.
-Encrypt all traffic to VPN servers.

What options are there?

Kate_L

in memoriam
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2014
You can do it with "Windows Scheduled Task" to make the VPN start with non-admin account.

Locust

Thread author
Apr 1, 2016
Have been trying to use task scheduler for this purpose, but haven't been able to get it to work. In the last run result column of the task list, it claims it executed the task successfully, but it's not working. To create it, I'm running task scheduler as an admin, and the task is to run pia_manager at log on of any user with a one minute delay.

Locust

Thread author
Apr 1, 2016
Anybody? Surely I'm not the first person here with the idea to use a standard user account and automated VPN at startup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.