Most PC Gamers Run Windows 10 Because There’s No Compelling Alternative Anyway

CyberTech

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
New data provided by Valve for its Steam gaming platform shows that Windows 10 is leading the way in terms of PC operating systems for playing games.

And while it’s not surprising that Windows 10 is number one, the highlight is that its market share is continuously increasing.

Living proof is the March 2019 set of data which shows that Windows 10 64-bit reached 66.92 percent Steam share, up 2.01 percent from the previous month. For comparison, Windows 7 64-bit dropped 2.13 percent, so it’s now powering only 23.79 percent of the systems used for playing games on Steam.

Windows 7 actually recorded the biggest drop of all operating systems last month on Valve’s gaming platform, but this isn’t necessarily surprising given that it’s projected to reach the end of support in January 2020.

Overall, Windows fell 0.21 percent in March, which gets it to 95.91 percent share on Steam.

No alternative to Windows
The reason most people choose Windows 10 is that there’s no compelling alternative available right now, as neither Linux nor macOS can be considered fully-featured gaming platforms.

Apple’s macOS, for example, is currently running on just 3.27 percent of the PCs used for playing games on Steam, a small 0.16 percent increase from the previous month, while Linux is even more behind with just 0.82 percent share.

Windows 10, on the other hand, is continuously improving its gaming side, and Microsoft itself has made it a priority to refine the gaming experience on the operating system.

More recently, it was discovered that Microsoft might be planning to bring Xbox games to Windows 10 with the help of a new update that would allow the same code to be used on both consoles and PCs. Details haven’t been shared on this, but expect further info to be provided as the project advances.

CandyZ

Apr 3, 2019
Some actualization are good, however I playe Xbox game in Windows 10 without problems

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

I have to agree.

MS knows this and because they have such a large market share, game developers don't want to put any resources to developing games for MacOS and Linux. I know that this has been a huge topic for PC gamers in general for a very, very long time. The general consensus is that if all game developers would take the time to develop games for Linux, there would be a huge and I mean a huge amount of PC gamers that would instantly switch over to Linux.

Paul Lee

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Oct 14, 2014
normal gaming on linux would be awesome. would never look back at ms again.
I strongly agree with this. I'm on windows for no reason other than gaming. The moment a Linux distro supports every game Windows does, it's bye bye Windows indefinitely

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.