Mozilla’s First Internet Health Report Tackles Security, Privacy

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
In its first-ever Internet Health Report, the non-profit Mozilla Foundation warned of the dangers of concentrated power among too few internet companies, cyber snooping by nosey governments and new threats posed by connected devices that can further erode privacy.

Mozilla released the report this week as part of a broader goal to track the health of the internet in categories such as Open Innovation, Digital Inclusion, Decentralization, Privacy and Security and Web literacy. The 40-page report, according to editor Solana Larsen, was to benchmark the health of the internet in order to gain a global perspective on it.

“We want to work with people and organizations that care about a healthy internet to engage the general public in caring more deeply about ‘internet health,’ in the way that the environmental movement was able to grow mainstream using terms like ‘global warming’ that no one previously had heard of,” Larson said.
The report, billed as a first “prototype” health report by Mozilla, celebrated as many internet wins as it did challenges. From the privacy and security perspective it was encouraged by trends in encryption promoted by organizations such as Let’s Encrypt and companies like WhatsApp that have made internet communications more secure.

Still, when it comes to privacy and security there is work to be done. “There is more public scrutiny of surveillance laws than before, but it hasn’t stopped greater snooping powers from being proposed in Britain, Pakistan, France and several other countries,” according to the report’s authors.

The report also warns that as the internet’s footprint rapidly expands into IoT consumer and business devices we have failed to protect people from the risks of surveillance and malicious hacks. “In November 2016, a malware program called Mirai mobilized 100,000 connected devices, including webcams and baby monitors, in a distributed denial-of-service attack (DDOS) that briefly took down parts of the internet,” authors wrote.

“The owners of those compromised devices may never know (or care) what happened, and cheap and insecure devices will continue to be manufactured, unless safety standards, rules and accountability measures take hold,” they said.

Mozilla Foundation’s call to action is to motivate consumers and organizations to hold companies accountable to ensure safety and privacy isn’t an afterthought when developing software, networks and devices.

“Above all, we should be more critical about what information we share voluntarily. Will the online dating profile you posted 6 years ago ever get deleted? How long do the online ads you view track you? Even if you’d like to know the privacy conditions of online platforms, they are usually not written in English,” the report stated.

Larson called this first report an “open source” initiative. She said the goal is to work with a multitude of global collaborators and to “draw on existing research about the internet combined with a clear and opinionated narrative that highlights important findings and trends about the internet ecosystem today.”

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Kudos to Mozilla,
I have been impressed by Mozilla's stance on my Privacy, it's part of why I can't seem to leave
Firefox, admittedly their browser needs some improvement but you wont find another that
has the long track record they have, it makes me proud to use their browser even though it's
not perfect. ;)

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
I can't wait for Mozilla's new Servo/Quantum engine. Firefox isn't as fast as Chrome and I experience glitches when scrolling. Chrome performs great but it isn't privacy friendly.

Reactions: spaceoctopus

spaceoctopus

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 13, 2014
Using Firefox too as main browser for years now.Mainly because of the focus on privacy. Opera was a second choice, but not any more.Using Chrome and Internet explorer as secondary now. Thnx for sharing this article. ;)

Reactions: KGBagent47

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
I've used Firefox since the early days. It's wise that they are taking security and privacy seriously.

I hope they can catch up to Chrome in the security space.

I do wish they would change the release schedule. They have had 12 beta and 2 RC releases before launching Firefox 51.0. Too many.

Reactions: spaceoctopus

JohnBRogers

Level 1
Verified
Dec 6, 2016
Great article. I hope common people read this kind of reports more often. Everyone is using Chrome for the brand, Edge because they're lazy to install anything new on their PC. I agree with guys saying it's not the fastest browser, but when it comes to privacy and client-orientation, Mozilla comes in first!
That's why it's been my primary browser for a while now, with some use of Edge.

Keep up with good work Mozilla!!!

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.