Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Mozilla seems to be ready to kick off the rollout of WebRender, a new system whose purpose is to make rendering much smoother by pushing it even beyond 60 frames per second.
As per this reddit thread, Mozilla will enable WebRender for 5% of the users beginning with the release of Firefox 67, with the rollout to advance gradually in the next updates.
While specifics haven’t been provided, it’s believed WebRender could only become available for Windows 10 users at first, and Mozilla might only enable it on devices where an NVIDIA GPU is detected. This is the reason the company goes for a gradual rollout, as Mozilla first wants to gain more data on how rendering is improved before more devices are getting the new feature.

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
It's brought over from Servo (their new rendering engine written in Rust(y)). Rust is a object oriented language simular to C++ but it does not have the memory security issues of C++. So for Windows 7 users Firefox is now probably the safest browser you can get with the internal security mechanisms of your OS.

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Only enable on devices with NVIDIA GPU at beginning? Feels bad
I have enabled it on Firefox 66 & Intel HD 620 graphics.

Just set these two as "true"
gfx.webrender.all
gfx.webrender.enabled

Last edited:

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Does it applies to FF for android? I can see

gfx.webrender.all
gfx.webrender.enabled

I'm using FF v67. 0 for android..... well, I just enabled them
I don't think it will work on Android. You are welcome to try though. After changing those two settings in about:config to 'True', check what does about:support says in front of 'composting'.

Reactions: stefanos

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I don't think it will work on Android. You are welcome to try though. After changing those two settings in about:config to 'True', check what does about:support says in front of 'composting'.
What should it read in front of 'compositing'?

Reactions: oldschool

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.