Solved Mozilla firefox hangs itself and it also freezes whole pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

maanastr

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Mar 1, 2013
I have the problem that Firefox keeps freezing my computer, making it totally unresponsive, I have to wait for a minute to make pc normal. The freeze often occurs when i opened multiple tab or when I dont use mozilla more than 5 minute.. Sometimes it has seemed about to freeze, lagging the cursor, but then catching up and making. I tired mozilla in safe mode and addon disabled mode.But problem not solved.it remians in both mode. Sometimes I need to restart pc. The task manager shows 84% memory usage. The freezing affect every task of pc.And its very irritating. plz help me friends? ( sorry for the poor english as it is not my native language)

2Gb ram
160GB HD,

Last edited:

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
This happens to me too.:confused: I used to place blame on the many versions of Firefox,:mad: yet even though this slow behavior has been more prevalent while using gecko based Firefox and Pale Moon x64 browsers, the slow response/freezing behavior led up to Windows 8.1 system crashing last night due to a "kernel page error". Although, the subsequent blue screen was not the dreaded Blue Screen of Death I've experienced before, it was disheartening non the less. While displaying a sad face:( I read it's accompanying banner informing me report information was being gathered while the percentage progress until completion was displayed. After this, I let the system rest the night. Today it's working normally again, but I am using a Chromium based browser today!;)

maanastr, your English communicated the symptoms very well!:) Now, we only need our Windows 8.1 & Firefox browsers to do likewise!:D

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Detection

Level 1
Feb 25, 2011
Are you both using Ghostery?

And does it hang on flash content?

Had the same issue, took a while of trial and error of enabling different trackers that Ghostery had blocked until it stopped doing it

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2
Upvote 0

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
change fire fox with chrom or another browser in my pc fire fox get block and hang and freeze
but my system config is:
8Gb ram
1TR hard :confused:

Upvote 0

maanastr

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Mar 1, 2013
I did reset mozilla so many times,but I never found much improvement. And yes it often hang on flash content.

Actully I am using firefox from last five years so felt very ockword with other browsers but now I must have to switch for another brwsers.:(:oops:.
I am installing opera next..I hope it will work better..

Upvote 0

Moose

Level 22
Jun 14, 2011
With Opera Next, try the following add ons;)
> Disconnect
> History Eraser
> Apguard

Let me know what think about Opera Next after
a couple days?:)

Upvote 0

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
I had the same problem with the latest Firefox, nothing that I tried worked.
So I copied my Firefox profile then moved to Pale Moon and problem is solved.

Also Cyberfox doesn't have this problem either copied my profile over to it as a backup.

I got to keep all of my settings and extensions.

Enjoy!! :D

Upvote 0

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Are you both using Ghostery?

And does it hang on flash content?

Had the same issue, took a while of trial and error of enabling different trackers that Ghostery had blocked until it stopped doing it

I wonder if it is ghostery. I'd replaced Disconnect with ghostery, but shall now take a closer look in comparison with your experience, Detection.
Thank you!:D

Last edited:
Reactions: Cowpipe
Upvote 0

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Flash Issue! Correct me if, I am wrong? Flash has become corrupt more that likely. Un-install and re-install.
And let us know what happen?:eek:

I Shall report back, Moose.:) On the one hand, I always keep Firefox's flash player plugin up to date, yet on the other hand, Firefox (all versions) for some reason(s) have consistently stalled on our Windows 8.1 which leads me to believe 'un-installing' the extensions 1 by 1;) or even Firefox browser itself might be another remedy. I usually don't have this problem with portable browser versions, so perhaps it's an opportune time to test drive the portable FireFox!:cool: ...or I could do just as Littlebits, since I already have Cyberfox, and copy my profile over!:):D

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
You can use Comodo Icedragon (Firefox based)........................................................

Thanks for the recommendation, Kent.;) In fact, we do have Ice Dragon installed on Windows 7, and although I've been using it a bit less, mainly since it's patches for security holes lag behind Firefox, I've recently awakened :eek:the sleeping Dragon, placed it under the vale of Shadow Defender,:cool: and have allowed it:rolleyes: to fly encompassed within Sandboxie's sandbox!!:):D

Last edited:
Reactions: Littlebits and Kent
Upvote 0

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
I can confirm Ghostery causes some flash content not to load. Typically a black screen or endless "buffering", I've also had problems with Ghostery and Hotmail, it's related to the "Microsoft Atlas" tracker in the latter case I believe.

I would also recommend disabling hardware acceleration in the flash player settings as this can sometimes cause flash player to crash invisibly just displaying a black screen. Also look out for the shield icon in the corner of the address bar (mixed content when using https), this can cause problems with flash content not loading, just click it to enable and the page should load correctly ;)

Wish you all well in resolving your flash based issues :)

Upvote 0

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
You can use Comodo Icedragon (Firefox based)........................................................
It has been updated since Firefox 26, that is 4 versions behind and full of vulnerabilities patched in the latest Firefox 30.
I don't even know if it is still in development or abandoned like many other Comodo projects.
I don't recommend it, only PaleMoon and Cyberfox are kept updated out of all of the Mozilla-based browsers.

Thanks. :D

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.