Mozilla Firefox Version 57 Released with Security Updates (and support end for legacy add-ons)

Discussion in 'Browsers and Extensions' started by LASER_oneXM, Nov 14, 2017 at 9:03 AM.

1. LASER_oneXM

LASER_oneXM Level 14
    Content Creator

Feb 4, 2016
    university/IT
    Germany / Poland
    Windows 8.1
    Kaspersky
    #1 LASER_oneXM, Nov 14, 2017 at 9:03 AM
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2017 at 9:23 AM
    source: Security Advisories for Firefox

NOTE:
    With this release, legacy add-ons (XUL-based) will no longer function. This update changes the add-ons system to the WebExtensions API. The Mozilla Add-ons portal will list only WebExtensions-compatible add-ons by default.

_______EDIT___EDIT___EDIT___EDIT________
    release notes (mozilla.org): Firefox — Notes (57.0)

2. In2an3_PpG

In2an3_PpG Level 10

Nov 15, 2016
    IT Jr. Network Admin
    United States
    Windows 10
    Default-Deny
    I'm really liking Firefox 57. Very, very nice improvement. I congratulate Mozilla.

My default browser once again. :)

3. GonzitoVir

GonzitoVir Level 3

May 16, 2017
    Earth
    Windows 10
    I updated an hour ago and so far, so good. Firefox is my main browser and I'm finding it really faster than before.
    One thing I've noticed is that now I have to click on each one of the menu options of the forum bar to have the sub-options available, whereas before I just had to move the mouse over, and options of the menu appeared automatically.

4. TheJokerz

TheJokerz Level 4

Jan 7, 2016
    Information Technology
    Ohio
    Windows 10
    Webroot
    Ive been using the beta version for the past month or so, glad to see this has finally released a stable version! Liking the new firefox!

5. LASER_oneXM

LASER_oneXM Level 14
    Content Creator

Feb 4, 2016
    university/IT
    Germany / Poland
    Windows 8.1
    Kaspersky
    i'm not really happy with this release: most of my add-ons will stop working. I've been using a lot of different
    add-ons in the past but unfortunately many developers dont 'like' the new WebExtensions API and there are no
    new releases for Firefox 57.....

6. Local Host

Local Host Level 2

Sep 26, 2017
    Network Engineer
    Windows 10
    Kaspersky
    Google Chrome been using the Web Extensions API for a while now, and no one has complained to date. Most developers are just being lazy or simply don't have the time to support their extensions.

Either way you should look for alternatives, if the extension is no longer being supported as it should, means any exploits found meanwhile will not be patched.

7. LASER_oneXM

LASER_oneXM Level 14
    Content Creator

Feb 4, 2016
    university/IT
    Germany / Poland
    Windows 8.1
    Kaspersky
    ^^^ thats right: unfortunately i have no choice but to update to FFX 57 and stop using the old and outdated/voulnerable add-ons.... :) ;)

8. blueblackwow65

blueblackwow65 Level 11

Dec 19, 2012
    Anyone else having a jolly time with this release? My speed dial stopped working lost abou20 tabs that i can remember .Sticky password was fun to update .. I tried to install themes and that does not work .Seems to be much much slower ,checked at one point and firefox was at 21% cpu and 3125 megs ram.A real mess ,why do this to their users??

9. Vasudev

Vasudev Level 20

Nov 8, 2014
    Student
    India
    Windows 10
    Microsoft
    I am yet to find an alternative for DownThemAll BTW, the developer has decided to make DTA Lite with limitation caused due to Web Ext APIs.

Its normal on Windows. Even FF56 with custom tweaks to enable servo css and multi-process windows consumed 3.1-4GB with 20 Tabs open and simultaneously gaming and screen recording using MSI Afterburner. CPU usage is <10%. I'll update you if I find anything.
    On Linux FF hardly consumes more 2GB RAM for 20 Tabs.

10. Slyguy

Slyguy Level 15

Jan 27, 2017
    IT Security Engineer
    USA
    Linux
    It seems fine. Still not convinced.. For one, Firefox is still using it's horrid oversized fonts for some web pages. Another issue is the poor speed scrolling that Firefox has never handled correctly. Firefox still has the worst speed dial in existence, next to Chrome of course. It seems faster, but by no means lighter.

It seems like every browser but Yandex sucks in the modern age. WAY back when Google removed the ability to PIN speed dial locations (ver26?) started the overall decline IMO and since then they've all sucked as a general rule. Yandex Beta 17.10.01 is by far the most superior browser I have seen. It's fast, light, secure and has a speed dial that destroys any other browser. It's almost like the guys making Yandex Browser actually USE the browser..

Firefox and Chrome developers seem like they don't even use their own products, why else would they leave so many annoyances intact?

11. LASER_oneXM

LASER_oneXM Level 14
    Content Creator

Feb 4, 2016
    university/IT
    Germany / Poland
    Windows 8.1
    Kaspersky
    ...few moments ago i found two interessting postings (on bleepingcomputer.com) about updating to latest release:
    Firefox 57 Will Be Offered Tomorrow In Windows... - Linux & Unix

POST #01

POST #02

...i also think that its a good idea to wait few days before installing FFX 57....

Garzaman, Deletedmessiah and AtlBo like this.
  12. AtlBo

AtlBo Level 20

Dec 29, 2014
    Qihoo 360
    Just installed. Hoping for good results :). Seems responsive so far but it also appears to be using alot of RAM for only 5 tabs >1.8 gigs...:rolleyes:

13. GonzitoVir

GonzitoVir Level 3

May 16, 2017
    Earth
    Windows 10
    Five tabs too here (Whatsapp, Lynda, 2 tabs of MalwareTips, Reddit) but only 1,013MB.
    Maybe the kind of content influences the size.. or maybe I'm just lucky :giggle:

14. LASER_oneXM

LASER_oneXM Level 14
    Content Creator

Feb 4, 2016
    university/IT
    Germany / Poland
    Windows 8.1
    Kaspersky
    ^^^ wooow... ...1.8 gigs ? :confused: ...my average usage of RAM with (the outdated) FFX 56.01 is 700-900 MB....

...replacing old add-ons seems to be a quite big problem:

source (bleepingcomputer.com): Upgrading to Firefox Quantum? Expect Some Add-ons to No Longer Work

15. Paul.R

Paul.R Level 6

May 16, 2013
    I try this new version of Firefox, all I can say it's: "nice to see you again my friend"!

16. TerrakionSmash

TerrakionSmash Level 14

Nov 17, 2016
    Earth
    Windows 10
    Sophos
    Isn't that because of smooth scrolling?
    I thought you use Chrome?

Garzaman, LASER_oneXM, AtlBo and 3 others like this.
  17. zzz00m

zzz00m Level 3

Jun 10, 2017
    USA
    Windows 10
    Avira
    Running Firefox Quantum 57 today with no issues so far! (y)

I had been planning for this in advance, so had been removing all of my legacy extensions over the past few months. So with everything in Firefox 56 using WebExtensions API, the upgrade went without a hitch.

It's worth re-visiting all of your settings, but it seemed that everything carried over. The biggest change was in the new tab page. Had to trim that down a bit, and sad to see that it will only list two rows of top sites now, even with everything else disabled.

Overall, the rendering performance is very good. It seems slightly more responsive when rendering a page. The memory footprint also seems slightly smaller.

The most complaints I have seen online were in regards to legacy plugins. So that would be the main consideration for upgrading now.

There were also some security fixes in this new version 57 that you may want to consider. Security vulnerabilities fixed in Firefox 57

Garzaman, LASER_oneXM, AtlBo and 5 others like this.
  18. ng4ever

ng4ever Level 8

Feb 11, 2016
    US
    I say let browsers use as much ram as they want. That is why I have 32 GB and if it can use it to good use I am happy.

19. amico81

amico81 Level 4

Jan 10, 2017
    Germany
    Windows 10
    G-Data
    any news about the update for the addon "noscript"? I'm trying now "no script suite lite" and first impression is good (y)

Garzaman, ng4ever, AtlBo and 2 others like this.
  20. Mehdi Mohammadi

Mehdi Mohammadi Level 1

Sep 14, 2017
    Network Administrator
    Iran
    Windows 10
    Norton
    I have some addons on my Firefox. I installed Firefox 56 again. Firefox Quantum has lots of problems.