Mozilla Firefox Version 57 Released with Security Updates (and support end for legacy add-ons)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
source: Security Advisories for Firefox
  • Critical Vulnerability can be used to run attacker code and install software, requiring no user interaction beyond normal browsing.
  • High Vulnerability can be used to gather sensitive data from sites in other windows or inject data or code into those sites, requiring no more than normal browsing actions.

NOTE:
With this release, legacy add-ons (XUL-based) will no longer function. This update changes the add-ons system to the WebExtensions API. The Mozilla Add-ons portal will list only WebExtensions-compatible add-ons by default.

_______EDIT___EDIT___EDIT___EDIT________
release notes (mozilla.org): Firefox — Notes (57.0)

Last edited:

GonzitoVir

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
May 16, 2017
I updated an hour ago and so far, so good. Firefox is my main browser and I'm finding it really faster than before.
One thing I've noticed is that now I have to click on each one of the menu options of the forum bar to have the sub-options available, whereas before I just had to move the mouse over, and options of the menu appeared automatically.

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
i'm not really happy with this release: most of my add-ons will stop working. I've been using a lot of different
add-ons in the past but unfortunately many developers dont 'like' the new WebExtensions API and there are no
new releases for Firefox 57.....

L

Local Host

i'm not really happy with this release: most of my add-ons will stop working. I've been using a lot of different
add-ons in the past but unfortunately many developers dont 'like' the new WebExtensions API and there are no
Google Chrome been using the Web Extensions API for a while now, and no one has complained to date. Most developers are just being lazy or simply don't have the time to support their extensions.

Either way you should look for alternatives, if the extension is no longer being supported as it should, means any exploits found meanwhile will not be patched.

blueblackwow65

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Dec 19, 2012
Anyone else having a jolly time with this release? My speed dial stopped working lost abou20 tabs that i can remember .Sticky password was fun to update .. I tried to install themes and that does not work .Seems to be much much slower ,checked at one point and firefox was at 21% cpu and 3125 megs ram.A real mess ,why do this to their users??

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
I am yet to find an alternative for DownThemAll BTW, the developer has decided to make DTA Lite with limitation caused due to Web Ext APIs.

Anyone else having a jolly time with this release? My speed dial stopped working lost abou20 tabs that i can remember .Sticky password was fun to update .. I tried to install themes and that does not work .Seems to be much much slower ,checked at one point and firefox was at 21% cpu and 3125 megs ram.A real mess ,why do this to their users??
Its normal on Windows. Even FF56 with custom tweaks to enable servo css and multi-process windows consumed 3.1-4GB with 20 Tabs open and simultaneously gaming and screen recording using MSI Afterburner. CPU usage is <10%. I'll update you if I find anything.
On Linux FF hardly consumes more 2GB RAM for 20 Tabs.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

It seems fine. Still not convinced.. For one, Firefox is still using it's horrid oversized fonts for some web pages. Another issue is the poor speed scrolling that Firefox has never handled correctly. Firefox still has the worst speed dial in existence, next to Chrome of course. It seems faster, but by no means lighter.

It seems like every browser but Yandex sucks in the modern age. WAY back when Google removed the ability to PIN speed dial locations (ver26?) started the overall decline IMO and since then they've all sucked as a general rule. Yandex Beta 17.10.01 is by far the most superior browser I have seen. It's fast, light, secure and has a speed dial that destroys any other browser. It's almost like the guys making Yandex Browser actually USE the browser..

Firefox and Chrome developers seem like they don't even use their own products, why else would they leave so many annoyances intact?

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
...few moments ago i found two interessting postings (on bleepingcomputer.com) about updating to latest release:
Firefox 57 Will Be Offered Tomorrow In Windows... - Linux & Unix

POST #01
I intend to not install Firefox 57 when it is offered. I am going to wait at least a week or more. I expect a ton of complaints about it breaking so many add-ons. Though it is certainly no secret as it has been heavily advertised to alert users and add-on/ extensions developers to this happening....we all know many will not of gotten the message.

POST #02

But I'm like you buddy215, and when something as fundamentally new as this comes along, I prefer to wait for some of the bugs to be ironed out before I install it.

...i also think that its a good idea to wait few days before installing FFX 57....

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
^^^ wooow... ...1.8 gigs ? :confused: ...my average usage of RAM with (the outdated) FFX 56.01 is 700-900 MB....

...replacing old add-ons seems to be a quite big problem:

source (bleepingcomputer.com): Upgrading to Firefox Quantum? Expect Some Add-ons to No Longer Work
Any unsupported add-ons will now be categorized as legacy extensions. To view these legacy add-ons, click on the Show legacy extensions link as indicated by the arrow in the image above. This will open a new screen that lists all add-ons/extensions that were deactivated because they are not supported in Firefox 57.

legacy-addons.jpg

Legacy Extensions
As you can see from the screen above, there are quite a few popular extensions that are no longer supported.

So what should you do? Unfortunately, you have two options, with both of them probably not being what you want to hear. You can either wait till the developer updates their extension to make it comptabile with the WebExtensions API and thus Firefox 57 or you can switch to another add-on.

If your willing to switch, then Mozilla included a new button called Find a Replacement that will display add-ons that can be used to replace the legacy one that is disabled. For example, if we use the button to find a replacement for the Tab Groups extension, a page will open up that displays a list of other add-ons that may be a good replacement.

tag-group-replacements.jpg

Suggested Replacements for Tab Groups
For those who absolutely need their installed extensions to continue working, you may want to hold off switching to Firefox 57 Quantum until your extensions have been updated. Most popular ones will be updated and just need a bit more time to finish and publish them.

zzz00m

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jun 10, 2017
Running Firefox Quantum 57 today with no issues so far! (y)

I had been planning for this in advance, so had been removing all of my legacy extensions over the past few months. So with everything in Firefox 56 using WebExtensions API, the upgrade went without a hitch.

It's worth re-visiting all of your settings, but it seemed that everything carried over. The biggest change was in the new tab page. Had to trim that down a bit, and sad to see that it will only list two rows of top sites now, even with everything else disabled.

Overall, the rendering performance is very good. It seems slightly more responsive when rendering a page. The memory footprint also seems slightly smaller.

The most complaints I have seen online were in regards to legacy plugins. So that would be the main consideration for upgrading now.

There were also some security fixes in this new version 57 that you may want to consider. Security vulnerabilities fixed in Firefox 57

ng4ever

Level 16
Verified
Feb 11, 2016
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.