Mozilla Firefox Version 57 Released with Security Updates (and support end for legacy add-ons)

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

I say let browsers use as much ram as they want. That is why I have 32 GB and if it can use it to good use I am happy.

32GB of ram is totally pointless unless you run multiple HyperV instances or something (and you don't). 32GB would be if you run a lot of HV's, professional rendering, CAD/CDL, GIS, multiple enterprise apps with large data sets, etc. I try to tell this to people all of the time who never seem to understand utilization principles. Also since NVME 3,000/4,000MB/s drives are common in current new builds, extra ram becomes even more meaningless because the swap speed is so ludicrously high.

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
I say let browsers use as much ram as they want. That is why I have 32 GB and if it can use it to good use I am happy.

I understand but 8 GB is a good amount to have. For me, the problem is over long boots of say a week where the PC goes into standby rather than being shut down. This is where RAM creep takes over on PCs I have here. Chrome with the same tabs and same config will slowly use more and more RAM and virtual memory too until after about 8 days the PC will crash with an out of virtual memory error if the PC isn't rebooted. I raised the virtual memory allotment to 12 GB and that helped some but not fully. It will use that up too.

Chrome is not the only program showing this behavior (security programs like Zemana, Qihoo 360, Malwarebytes also), but it should be fixed whether it's a Windows fix or a program by program fix. That's what interested me the most about this Firefox update. Looking forward to seeing how it does over a long boot. If, when FF is closed at points over a long boot, it will continually restore the RAM to its state before it was opened, that would be a good indicator for me that there has been some serious work by Mozilla in the area of application memory management...

jetman

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 6, 2017
It's fast and that's nice. Too bad I went to Opera in between and fell in love with it. I don't think I'll be returning back to Firefox :(

Yes Opera is very good- I quite like the in-built "VPN" feature. There's no way of automatically deleting browsing history on exit as far as I can tell.
As its not a very common browser I also think that it might be less vulnerable to security attacks than the mainstream ones.
Opera will remain my default for a while- but I'm also going to give this new Firefox a try in the meantime. I like the sound of it.

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
i don't like the "pocket"- feature....i have made it invisible. Now i wanna try to uninstall this crap

Click on three dots button in the URL bar and right click on "Save page to Pocket" and select "Add to address bar". Pocket icon will appear in your URL address bar again. It's nice to see Firefox being so configurable again after going the path of Chrome which is as static and stiff as it can get. Which is why I hate it.

Reactions: AtlBo and amico81

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
I toyed with 57 for 2 hours and uninstalled, primarily due to extension availability. Page loading seemed pretty snappy, but otherwise, no compelling advantage to switch from Chrome for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: AtlBo and Garzaman

Garzaman

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Nov 14, 2017
It's fast, very fast, except when it stays frozen. :rolleyes:

Today I installed it and I hope to see it improving, sometimes it consumes 95% CPU. Is it a bug? or does this just happen to me? :(

8sVmCt3.png

Greetings

Last edited:
Reactions: mlnevese and AtlBo

amico81

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 10, 2017
Pls share your system specifications.I have an i7 3770 and no high usage with 4-5 open tabs.

Reactions: AtlBo

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Privacy issues aside, is there any compelling reason to switch from Chrome to Firefox?

This may sound silly, but if you can't get your custom extensions anyways, so why not just use Edge, which is really fast and really secure?

Garzaman

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Nov 14, 2017
[QUOTE="Today I installed it and I hope to see it improving, sometimes it consumes 95% CPU. Is it a bug? or does this just happen to me? :(

8sVmCt3.png

Greetings

Pls share your system specifications.I have an i7 3770 and no high usage with 4-5 open tabs.[/QUOTE]

Hi @amico81 :)

i5 2320 3 GH, 8 Gb RAM . It is not the best machine, but Yandex, Opera, Chrome ... anyone, they work perfectly and without problems.

Thanks for answer

Greetings

dCwNTLH.png

Reactions: mlnevese and AtlBo

Garzaman

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Nov 14, 2017
Windows 10 Pro 64x

No, no too much. v. 56 run very fast, but v.57 doesn´t. This example is with 3 tabs and 5 extensions. I think it will be solved in a few days, it will be solved in a few days, or I will continue very happy with Yandex and Opera. Thanks @amico81

Greetings

Reactions: AtlBo

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
Privacy issues aside, is there any compelling reason to switch from Chrome to Firefox?

This may sound silly, but if you can't get your custom extensions anyways, so why not just use Edge, which is really fast and really secure?
Edge doesn't have download video extensions yet and Chrome can't direct download on youtube

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.