Mozilla Firefox Version 57 Released with Security Updates (and support end for legacy add-ons)

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Local Host

Windows 10 Pro 64x

No, no too much. v. 56 run very fast, but v.57 doesn´t. This example is with 3 tabs and 5 extensions. I think it will be solved in a few days, it will be solved in a few days, or I will continue very happy with Yandex and Opera. Thanks @amico81

Greetings
I don't wanna mislead you, but I believe that may be caused by an extension. Try enabling the extensions one by one in normal usage, and see if the CPU spikes.

Wordward

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2011
I may well change from Opera to the new Firefox. I like it and I have been setting it up today. However, please move this question if needed. Did anyone notice the Manage saved passwords in Opera is now, Show all passwords since the latest update? It also asks for a user name now along with your PC password, to see what ever password you want to show. The thing is that my correct user name and password doesn't work. It reads 'the user name or password is incorrect.' My password worked before the recent update though. Not sure why the change or why the trouble. Hopefully someone can help with this. Thank you.

Last edited:

shukla44

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 14, 2016
Just switched to Quantum. Have to agree, too much RAM usage but doesn't matter as it is much faster than chrome. I have more than enough RAM just need a faster browser, & over the years chrome got slower, now firefox has picked-up the pace.
Loving it so far.

EDIT: Patiently waiting for NoScript 10.

insanity

Level 5
Verified
Oct 9, 2016
So I just updated to FF 57. I must say it does start faster on launch and the browser seems much more responsive when I open new tabs, switch tabs, click on the menu etc. However, I think there's a bunch of hype regarding FF 57. It's probably on par with Chrome, but when I see some addons like Downthemall or Flashgot not working in this new version, I don't feel compelled to switch from Chrome.

Transhumana

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
Love the new Firefox, but I can't wait till NoScript 10 is here. I'm so used to it that running the browser without it now feels like being all naked and barefoot on the street while there's a thunderstorm with heavy rain going on. oh, and killer bees are flying all over the place. :D

browneylad

Level 2
Verified
Sep 27, 2017
My experience on Windows 7 is not different to above. Roughly 70% ram usage with 5+ tabs & 4 ext. Have to click ram booster from utility software frequently to keep it down. Very smooth browsing but during streaming froze once when it was loading, for good 4-5 sec. Noticed improvement on my d/l speed. Old FF would slow it down often & won't ever get to max speed d/l. In Quantum d/l speed is very stable & no lagging.
Downside is one legacy video grab addon stopped working so huge panic to find suitable replacement!

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
hi
there is also an so called "ESR release" of Firefox that still supports (old) lagacy add-ons. A portable version of Firefox ESR is also available for download. Mozilla officialy supports/develops the ESR release.

source (bleepingcomputer.com): POST #08
You don't want to revert to the older version, ie 56, because of security. You can download the ESR version which currently is at v52.5.0 and work with legacy add-ons. ESR will be at v52 until Firefox 60 when it will be 52.8.0. This will be the last version before upgrading to Quantum on ESR 59.1.0 which will be June 2018

release-overview.6ada2b83ca80.png

source (bleepingcomputer.com): POST #10
52.5-59.1 will work in Windows 10 and should work in Vista. Remember to backup your bookmarks. You can confirm if it works before installing by using the portable version of Firefox ESR. This is what I use with Legacy addons as my main browser is Chrome and did not want to install another browser so I am using the portable version.

Mozilla Firefox ESR, Portable Edition | PortableApps.com - Portable software for USB, portable and cloud drives

source (bleepingcomputer.com): POST #11
Personally I've gone to ESR for the moment, that's the only way to keep Noscript working for now. Once NoScript has been released for the web extensions format of firefox 57 I'll go back to a release channel firefox within a week or so.

Esr is 52 based, a 59 based ESR doesn't exist yet and won't for months. ESR should work on any OS that a release version can work on, and ESR MIGHT support some OS's which can't run release but it's not certain to.

____EDIT:____________
.. i guess i also will install the portable ESR release of firefox and will start using it as my main browser for a while...

Last edited:

insanity

Level 5
Verified
Oct 9, 2016
But for how long?

According to the developer of Waterfox:
  • 56 will remain as ESR version for the foreseeable future, keeping updated with security patches.
  • In parallel, development of a “new” browser will be happening which will carry on with the XUL/XPCOM mantle or equivalent. This could mean having low-level WebExtension APIs, meaning the same level of customisation as is possible with older Firefox extensions.

He's going to support XUL as long as it is viable. At this point in time, the drop of support for legacy addons was more of a political decision.

Last edited:
Reactions: AtlBo and Vasudev

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
According to the developer of Waterfox:

He's going to support XUL as long as it is viable. At this point in time, the drop of support for legacy addons was more of political decision.
Please explain more about why it was political.
Regardless of legacy add-on support, isn't the new firefox multi-process with sandboxing a major security improvement?

Reactions: AtlBo and Vasudev

insanity

Level 5
Verified
Oct 9, 2016
Regardless of legacy add-on support, isn't the new firefox multi-process with sandboxing a major security improvement?

Most addons would work fine with the new Firefox; many of them could be made compatible with e10s, for example.
I agree with you in terms of security, but these improvements are things under the hood. Thinking as an average Joe, what appeals to me is what I see when I launch the browser and surf the Internet, so the new UI and the lack of support for my favourite addons have much more influence in my decision to use a browser or not.

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014

Most addons would work fine with the new Firefox; many of them could be made compatible with e10s, for example.
I agree with you in terms of security, but these improvements are things under the hood. Thinking as an average Joe, what appeals to me is what I see when I launch the browser and surf the Internet, so the new UI and the lack of support for my favourite addons have much more influence in my decision to use a browser or not.
I had their multi-process windows and Servo css running on FF56 with addons supporting it w/o any issues. FF56 with those tweaks was 10-30%faster than stock but still lagged behind Quantum by a 50%.

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
OK interesting notes on FF Quantum. RAM does rise and but didn't get a chance to break this system before I rebooted over other issues (installed WSUS Offline updates app). Need to continue using FF to see, but there was an interesting event last night I noticed. Left browser open all night accidently with PC on (1AM-7AM). The page had a video ad that was running over and over and when I noticed this AM FF memory had shot through to 7 GB on 8 GB system with one process at 6 GB! System memory was at 99%. I thought, "OK there goes Mozilla's claim to lower memory usage." It was an NFL football site on draft prospects. Well, I got FF closed and allowed it to finish over about 10 minutes, and when it finished system memory was all the way down to 20%. This was on a short boot of about 24 hrs.

This is unusual for a browser, and I never noticed it for FF. Usually system RAM will drop to around 40% or even up to 50% if the app was using 80% or higher when open. Also got a pop up from FF to send an error report to Moz which I did. I think Moz should cap RAM usage honestly at maybe 50% of system RAM or 5 GB or something depending on available RAM.

Quantum is fast and seems reliable. Gonna stick with FF and continue to study its responses. Its far (like light years) better than anything previous from Moz as long as the extension issues aren't a problem. Looks like it could be a good starting point for some kind of impressive improvements performance-wise...

BTW, dusted off an old XP PC and Chrome wasnt doing well. Tried FF legacy (52.0.5) for XP, but it wasn't working either. Laggy with the old app container freezes way too much. Streaming video wouldn't play. Downloaded SlimJet, and its working well on this old core 2 system here. So far only using 250 MB RAM but only one tab. Gonna start experimenting with more tabs soon.

russ0408

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jul 28, 2013
I've been keeping a eye on FF 57 while it was in beta, really liked it. Since it turned stable it's been my default browser, I really like it. To me it is what Chrome used to be a couple years ago, fast and stable, I have not had any problems with Firefox so far, loving it!!

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Raising this thread to see how you guys are liking the new FF after a month now. It uses crazy RAM on the two systems I have installed it on, but it is also very responsive (best yet). For me, the problem is I can't leave it open on video. I use a double PC setup where 2 PCs are actually on at the same time (using mouse without borders to control them both), and on one I leave Twitch.tv running a fair amount of time while I am typing or working etc. I suppose it's the video that is chewing up the RAM with one of the processes getting as high as 6 or 7 gigs. Chrome is better about this, and I am back to using it for now. Not going to uninstall FF though.

Hope FF can come up with some magic to keep the performance while trimming back the RAM usage...

zzz00m

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jun 10, 2017
Firefox 57.0.2 so far, so good, no crashes or other issues to report. Performance with CPU and memory is very good. Page load times are also good. I use uBlock Origin and Disconnect to minimize 3rd party connections as well, so that may enhance page loading times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.