Mozilla lays off 70 employees to prepare for tough years ahead (Update: 250)

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
A Techcrunch report suggests that Mozilla laid off at least 70 employees to better prepare for the challenges that it is facing in the coming years.

Mozilla, which is bests known for its Firefox web browser, depends to a very large degree on a deal with Google. Google pays Mozilla more than 90% of its revenue for being the default search engine in the Firefox web browser in most regions.

The deal is problematic for a number of reasons: first, because Google operates Chrome, the main contender in the browser market and dominating force at the time of writing, and second, because Google's business model, advertising, clashes with Mozilla's mission to strengthen privacy on the Internet.

Mozilla started to implement Tracking functionality in Firefox but the efforts don't go far enough for many users; probably the main factor that is preventing Mozilla from implementing better controls in Firefox is the organization's reliance on Google.

Remove: Mozilla lays off 70 employees to prepare for tough years ahead - gHacks Tech News

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Google is a leviathan and can't even be anti-competed with at this time. Microsoft's jumping on the Chromium bandwagon probably put a nail or two in as well.

I wish Mozilla the best and applaud them for disclosing this information. But personally, it's gonna take some divine intervention to stop the gentle erosion of Mozilla Foundation.

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
It's also Mozilla's fault. They keep on doing dumb ##### and every time you question their stupid design decisions it's excuses like "muh telemetry says otherwise" and "file a Bugzilla report". No one seems to put any real effort into designing things well, everyone just churns out pretty much random changes and then observe stupid telemetry. Bugzilla really only serves for show stopping bugs and hasn't ever done anything to functionality or design reports. It's a total waste of time to report usability issues.

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
That's too bad.

I'm rooting for Firefox.

I was disappointed when Netscape got pushed out. I was disappointed when Edge capitulated and went chromium..

After reading this article a few days ago, I decided to give Firefox a go... one more time. I haven’t done it yet.. but I will soon.

1579198842193.png

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
It's highly unlikely I will ever install Firefox again, there are good reasons for supporting it but on this large display it looks dreadful, the icons are truly dire as is the interface, I find it clunky & it takes real effort to use it - As I spend many hours looking at a browser I like it to look pleasant - For me New Edge ticks all the boxes where Opera, Vivaldi & Chrome doesn't - I've never believed in protectionism & using Firefox is what it starting to feel like - Firefox's privacy settings as default are set to share a fair bit & for a casual user not noticeable - I've tried Firefox heaps of times since it came out & for me I've done, it feels like a browser from the past.

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
It's highly unlikely I will ever install Firefox again, there are good reasons for supporting it but on this large display it looks dreadful, the icons are truly dire as is the interface, I find it clunky & it takes real effort to use it - As I spend many hours looking at a browser I like it to look pleasant - For me New Edge ticks all the boxes where Opera, Vivaldi & Chrome doesn't - I've never believed in protectionism & using Firefox is what it starting to feel like - Firefox's privacy settings as default are set to share a fair bit & for a casual user not noticeable - I've tried Firefox heaps of times since it came out & for me I've done, it feels like a browser from the past.

Yeah, unfortunately, that's my experience too with Firefox.

But, I'm still hopeful.

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
Looks like Mozilla is a secret BDSM circle - they really like to hurt themselves with their dumb ass decisions :D
I would like to say that I am really sorry for the QA employees who lost their positions but it wouldn't be true as it will only do them good - finally they have a chance to find a job at companies focused on their products rather than "diversity and inclusion".
Die Mozilla! Die!

Peter247

Level 1
Jan 3, 2020
I really feel bad for them:(, most especially the 70 employees that where laid off. But that doesn't mean they have given up. We don't really know what this new decade have in store for anyone, but we have our fingers crossed.

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

You can't do a successful business and at same time rooting to some ideals.

Mozilla tested advertisements/datamining in Germany, the backfire was so heavy they had to renounce, fault of those privacy freaks.
Those people are just users, they invest nothing in Mozilla but are the first one to "burn the witch", their attitude is probably what will kill Mozilla.

I bet those employees rather see Mozilla advertising or data mining to keep their jobs...

Chrome was excellent, ChromEdge seems even better, Firefox keep going down the hill.
I have installed it and I barely use it, with the same extension as Chrome or ChromEdge, FF is still slower than them. ChromEdge being the fastest surprisingly.
To be honest, ChromEdge will be soon the only browser on my system.

Aggravatorx

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jan 30, 2013
I do not see firefox in the near future unless they come out with something amazing . seems every other browser google world
is teaming up against them i do like them but they are missing something

Dhruv2193

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Nov 7, 2016
You can't do a successful business and at same time rooting to some ideals.

Mozilla tested advertisements/datamining in Germany, the backfire was so heavy they had to renounce, fault of those privacy freaks.
Those people are just users, they invest nothing in Mozilla but are the first one to "burn the witch", their attitude is probably what will kill Mozilla.

I bet those employees rather see Mozilla advertising or data mining to keep their jobs...

Chrome was excellent, ChromEdge seems even better, Firefox keep going down the hill.
I have installed it and I barely use it, with the same extension as Chrome or ChromEdge, FF is still slower than them. ChromEdge being the fastest surprisingly.
To be honest, ChromEdge will be soon the only browser on my system.
Just hope Microsoft updates it on a regular basis so that it stays on users' systems. MS did not update IE often and this led to its downfall.

xSploit

Level 1
Jul 7, 2012
The only reason I switched to Mozilla Firefox was because Firefox's bookmark customization is better with the ability to add descriptions and especially for making it much easier to add a keyword shortcut for the website (Chrome's method with editing bookmarks is annoying and unorganized).

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
I was a chromium user before Firefox 57 nightly came out. I was impressed with the speed then stayed because of Containers and probably gonna stay with it if Chromium doesn't introduce something similar. Personally I've no problem with the browser, I love it but Mozilla made many wrong decisions along the way. The worst being Firefox OS. They wasted more than 3 years in that project and Firefox didn't innovate at all in that period while Chrome took over the world. If they didn't invest their time and money in that project they would've been in a better position now.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Firefox the privacy browser, leaking webrtc by default = (y)

Firefox is nice on android, as it supports extensions...but on desktop its lacking badly. They need miracle to catch up , but they aint dying anytime soon

Currently theyre just trying to keep up to date with chromium fellow, if manifest v3 is breaking firefox aswell its even worse tho

Well i have moved to edge on my android/desktop.. .but looking forward their new update schedule that includes 10 patches/ year

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.