Status
Not open for further replies.

Fritz

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 28, 2015
Thanks for the link @mlnevese, it really is an interesting read. I've been on the waggon since the Netscape days, it's sad to see where they're headed.

Reactions: mlnevese

Cohen

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 22, 2016
Overall, I'm glad this change is happening. The change to Web Extensions over Legacy add-ons will make Firefox more secure and faster. Comparing Firefox moving to Web Extensions to Chrome is not a fair equivalent; the developer of uBlock Origin (gorhill) put this well:
  • Chromium-based browsers do not support user styles
  • Chromium-based browsers can’t block data: URI-based requests through the webRequest API.
  • Chromium-based browsers are being “infested” by Instart Logic tech10.5k which works around blockers and worst, around browser privacy settings (they may start “infecting” Firefox eventually, but that is not happening now).
  • I am not aware of any anti-fingerprinting initiative taken up with Chromium, unlike with Firefox2.8k.
  • Etc.
There is much more I could list here. It baffles me that some people thinks Firefox is becoming a “Chrome clone”, it’s just not the case, it’s just plain silly to make such statement.

Here's a spreadsheet for Web Extension alternatives to some Legacy add-ons and also details on when/if add-ons will be moving to being a Web Extension.

JHomes

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2016
Firefox was my jam back in the mid-2000's but they haven't kept up with Chrome. I did a performance test on the two browsers and Firefox was much more resource intensive.

Reactions: Fritz
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.