Security News MRG Effitas 360 Assessment & Certification Programme Q1 2018

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
I also recommend Dell to my family, but I would never buy a Dell. The reason is simple, Trend works, and wouldn't give them hassles, popups or an overabundance of false positives and it has a 'friendly' interface for simple people. Everything that would suit them fine and when it suits them it means less complaints to me. They can readily get support from Trend which keeps them from reaching out to me.

I have a lot of reasons I wouldn't run Trend myself though. Some of which I've already pointed out here and in other threads and don't care to rehash.
Strange but oke.

Reactions: Vasudev

Eh, I am grateful that G Data doesn't participate into every rigmarole test by independent AV labs, but I sometimes miss those charts by G Data, just for my own information. Based on this MRG Effitas test, I like that F-Secure been solid for a long time, but it would fail almost every VB100 test because most likely they will atleast flag 1 FP and that's already a failed test, well, at least in consumer versions it's not hard to exclude FP's, so it shouldn't be a problem for those running F-Secure and new 17.3 version is great. (y) There's not many F-Secure users in MalwareTips though, maybe because of it's simplicity? :unsure: I still consider F-Secure to be better than WD in all aspects. As long as you have backups/system image stored, it doesn't matter which reputable AV you are using if you are fine with companies privacy policy/price of the products, at the end of the day, as @Umbra said, it's just a "seat belt".

Check AVLab.pl. G DATA is participating in their tests (and it has not been placing very well).

Reactions: Gandalf_The_Grey
D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

Check AVLab.pl. G DATA is participating in their tests (and it has not been placing very well).
Yes, and wonder why Arcabit Internet Security is always at the top in their tests? Marketing their own home country product, nothing wrong with that, but after looking at it uninstalled after 20mins, it's more trash than it's marketed as and what is that interface lmao Arcabit - Arcabit Internet Security - Ekrany All it has is BD engine and nothing else. I trust AVLab.pl very much :emoji_ok_hand::emoji_ok_hand::emoji_ok_hand:

The best antivirus software in 2018 based on three security tests

Last edited by a moderator:

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
Just yesterday i installed ARCABIT IS..its trash
Bit defender along side its crap engine2..Allowed to takeover my network by the worms and ramnit virus

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Yes, and wonder why Arcabit Internet Security is always at the top in their tests? Marketing their own home country product, nothing wrong with that, but after looking at it uninstalled after 20mins, it's more trash than it's marketed as and what is that interface lmao Arcabit - Arcabit Internet Security - Ekrany All it has is BD engine and nothing else. I trust AVLab.pl very much :emoji_ok_hand::emoji_ok_hand::emoji_ok_hand:

they have good test but somehow always bias towards arcabit. Perhaps because they use samples originated in poland
it's not that good

D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

Perhaps because they use samples originated in poland
And that's a very good reason to recommend Arcabit because it's a pl product and malware originated from poland, so it better handles that malware unlike other suites? All Spain users should then use Panda and German users Avira/G Data... this is bias. I don't really care about Arcabit, I wonder how about brainwashed people in pl who actually believe that and buys Arcabit instead of other more matured security suites, if that marketing strategy works, good for them! $$$$$ :D(y)

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
It's like the best car of the year. The company that pays the most money in ads, he gets the prize

Reactions: JB007
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Just yesterday i installed ARCABIT IS..its trash
Bit defender along side its crap engine2..Allowed to takeover my network by the worms and ramnit virus

Arcabit is the runoff or Arcavir which is the runoff from the very good Mks_Vir, a few people left and went there with whatever was left of Mks and took the old Mks engine over there to supplement Bit Defender. That secondary engine probably hasn't been updated in years. Arcabit IMO is a bit heavy, and lacks proactive protection. Rather than protecting they elect to automatically 'backup' your data to the recovery folder as their method to protect against ransomware and such.

I used to work for Mks_Vir back in the day and helped localize it for US release. Mks_Vir was very lightweight and protective. It was actually a strong performer early on before the team split up and they never invested enough for penetration into the local US Market in an age when Norton/McAfee totally dominated the US Market.

Off-Topic - Old, lesser known AV boxes! (Pictures)

Fun times.. But Mks will come back eventually. A lot of the team is being rebuilt. (y)

Reactions: Mahesh Sudula

So does Kaspersky, Bitdefender always place at top.

Arcabit is always going to place at the top of AVLab.pl tests because Arcabit has protections that most of the other internet security suites do not - its protection is more than just Bitdefender signatures. In local testing the product does well, but on non-Polish Windows the GUIs have problems.

Accept reality for what it is... G DATA just isn't that great in some areas. People have been reporting weaknesses to G DATA for years and they will not fix the issues. I know I documented and reported numerous items that have never been fixed. Just look at G DATA's ridiculous beta testing. It's a waste of effort to report anything to G DATA - and I'm not just talking about annoying bugs.

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
So does Kaspersky, Bitdefender always place at top.

Arcabit is always going to place at the top of AVLab.pl tests because Arcabit has protections that most of the other internet security suites do not - its protection is more than just Bitdefender signatures. In local testing the product does well, but on non-Polish Windows the GUIs have problems.

Accept reality for what it is... G DATA just isn't that great in some areas. People have been reporting weaknesses to G DATA for years and they will not fix the issues. I know I documented and reported numerous items that have never been fixed. Just look at G DATA's ridiculous beta testing. It's a waste of effort to report anything to G DATA - and I'm not just talking about annoying bugs.
I know very little abut ARCABIT..but my first impression is worse than IKARUS
Coming to G DATA..i know Beta testing is a kind ok but they itself are Beta Testers
since i sent a sample that uses Process hollowing (Injects itself to svchost.exe) ..G data dynamically failed in this area
so i sent all the data i have after repeated follow up for 4 weeks they finally added that particular behavior module dynamically
BB triggered for the same sample after 1 month..Good!!

I know very little abut ARCABIT..but my first impression is worse than IKARUS
Coming to G DATA..i know Beta testing is a kind ok but they itself are Beta Testers
since i sent a sample that uses Process hollowing (Injects itself to svchost.exe) ..G data dynamically failed in this area
so i sent all the data i have after repeated follow up for 4 weeks they finally added that particular behavior module dynamically
BB triggered for the same sample after 1 month..Good!!

Arcabit overall protections are better than G DATA's.

The vast majority of people that report stuff to G DATA have a poor experience. A user cannot even block an IP address in G DATA... report that one and support will give stupid answers like local DNS is bypassing G DATA.

D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

Arcabit overall protections are better than G DATA's.
How would you feel if, after reading your statement, out of regular +/- 600 MalwareTips guests, 5 people bought Arcabit instead of G Data and end up in Malware Removal Assistance subforum or any other section requesting to solve PC problems after installing an AV after a couple of days? G Data is more matured security product even with it's other "non-affecting-protection" bugs. I am not protecting G Data nor using it myself right now, but I wouldn't use Arcabit even if it was given free nor I recommend anyone to use it, and I don't care about its history and mks_vir, it doesn't matter who and how good they were back in the days. It matters how good they are now, if they can improve sales and show off malware detection technologies for the global market, sure, if they are staying in their local PL market, that's also fine, they can do whatever they want, but right now I don't see them worthy to be among other top security vendors. My personal opinion is that Arcabit is below-average security product. :emoji_neutral_face:

How would you feel if, after reading your statement, out of regular +/- 600 MalwareTips guests, 5 people bought Arcabit instead of G Data and end up in Malware Removal Assistance subforum or any other section requesting to solve PC problems after installing an AV after a couple of days? G Data is more matured security product even with it's other "non-affecting-protection" bugs. I am not protecting G Data nor using it myself right now, but I wouldn't use Arcabit even if it was given free nor I recommend anyone to use it, and I don't care about its history and mks_vir, it doesn't matter who and how good they were back in the days. It matters how good they are now, if they can improve sales and show off malware detection technologies for the global market, sure, if they are staying in their local PL market, that's also fine, they can do whatever they want, but right now I don't see them worthy to be among other top security vendors. My personal opinion is that Arcabit is below-average security product. :emoji_neutral_face:

In my experience Arcabit is a better product than G DATA. It stops or remediates more attacks than G DATA.

did you do testing with arcabit / gdata?

Yes. But if you are using non-Polish Windows, then there will be multiple bugs\annoyances. For English Windows you are better off with G DATA.

Reactions: Brie

Yellowing

Level 5
Verified
Jun 7, 2018

Hm... Windows Defender doesn't look very good there. :emoji_sob:
Should I switch? I'm not sure...
they have good test but somehow always bias towards arcabit. Perhaps because they use samples originated in poland
it's not that good
If you look in the PDF it clearly states the samples are collected world-wide through honeypots. It even has a good looking graphic for that. :p
And that's a very good reason to recommend Arcabit because it's a pl product and malware originated from poland, so it better handles that malware unlike other suites? All Spain users should then use Panda and German users Avira/G Data... this is bias. I don't really care about Arcabit, I wonder how about brainwashed people in pl who actually believe that and buys Arcabit instead of other more matured security suites, if that marketing strategy works, good for them! $$$$$ :D(y)
Yeah. These who won the wars make history. :D
------------

Windows Defender never detects thing in "Early State". What does that mean and is there a way to mitigate this by settings? :(

Reactions: Brie

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.