Status
Not open for further replies.

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)

Acer Aspire V3-771G

Product Page & Specifications

Managed to pick up a bonus 3 year warranty plus 1 year of AcerCare Protection Plus for accidental damages, not that I need it, I'm not a clumsy person.

This average tier laptop will be used for browsing Facebook and watching my favorite VEVO channels on Youtube and nothing else, No watching Blu-ray movies, No intensive video editing or rendering, no proper gaming (besides Farmville), no testing malware against security software in Virtual Machines, no RAM disks and no multi-tasking can or will be done on this laptop.

I hope that one day I can actually get a decent high performance laptop so I can do everything I said above! :D

Please don't be harsh when you judge. I have to make do with this for another year. Thanks.​

Nico@FMA

Level 27
So this is what you call average? I7 CPU and 16GB DDR3.
Right...you drinking again? lmao.

Just kidding, nice laptop enjoy.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Trusted
Well if you don't want to use anything task for Windows then use a live USB/CD for Linux. :lol: (For browsing matters)

Actually my laptop does running under of Linux OS. ;)

MrXidus

n.nvt said:
So this is what you call average? I7 CPU and 16GB DDR3.
Right...you drinking again? lmao.
I might have downed a little too much SC.

jamescv7 said:
Well if you don't want to use anything task for Windows then use a live USB/CD for Linux. :lol: (For browsing matters)

Actually my laptop does running under of Linux OS. ;)
I'm happy with Windows 8.

WinAndLinuxTutorials said:
Congratulations! :D

If I was you I would have got an Intel atom for that use. :D
I'll be more interested in keeping you far away from my new laptop.

Side Note:

For an average tier laptop I was surprised too see it came with the best security software one can have!

It also came with tons of free and great pre-installed software that doesn't in any way what so ever slow down performance!

Acer sure knows how to please a customer! ;)

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Verified
Trusted
MrXidus said:
Managed to pick up a bonus 3 year warranty plus 1 year of AcerCare Protection Plus for accidental damages, not that I need it, I'm not a clumsy person.
My guess about the redirection page of the hyperlink was right even before clicking on it. :p :D

-----------------------

Are you planning to do a clean Windows install or you want the wonderful software to stay? :p

MrXidus

WinAndLinuxTutorials said:
Are you planning to do a clean Windows install or you want the wonderful software to stay? :p
As much as the pre-installed software is wonderful, I simply don't deserve it.

I have indeed formatted and clean installed Windows 8.

Now I just got to install required hardware drivers and get the wifi working.

First software to get installed is RollbackRX and a baseline snapshot created.

Thanks. :)

MrXidus

Imran said:
Have you ever tried Driver Pack Solution?
In case if your Wifi and LAN drivers aren't installed and you don't have backup :D

DriverPack Solution
No I have never tried that, I did make sure I downloaded important hardware drivers / wifi drivers before formatting and copied them to a USB.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
Your laptop is very similar to mine except mine is touch screen and has Intel Core i3, Intel HD Graphics 4000, only 4GB of RAM, 500GB HD. Of coarse I paid much less for it.

http://malwaretips.com/Thread-Littebits-New-Laptop

Mine came with the exact same pre-installed crapware. Acer sure knows how to add a bunch of useless pre-installed crap to their laptops.

Thanks.:D

MrXidus

Littlebits said:
Your laptop is very similar to mine except mine is touch screen and has Intel Core i3, Intel HD Graphics 4000, only 4GB of RAM, 500GB HD. Of coarse I paid much less for it.

http://malwaretips.com/Thread-Littebits-New-Laptop

Mine came with the exact same pre-installed crapware. Acer sure knows how to add a bunch of useless pre-installed crap to their laptops.

Thanks.:D
Yes I've played around with the display model of that laptop, I like the design, I'm not much for touch but I did like the illuminated keyboard.

I ended up choosing the V3-771G for its raw power and bigger screen size.

Pre-installed crapware indeed, The only Acer software that I actually found handy was the Acer Updater, everything else got wiped and a fresh Windows 8 installation gives this laptop its real performance without the added bloat.

n.nvt said:
Yeah acer does one thing good:
And thats filling your HDD up for free.
They did do something good and that is include this, Useless to me but is a life saver for someone such as my parents and grand parents who are computer illiterate.

I am the Family Tech Support Guy in the family and since many family & friends are getting new laptops that come with Windows 8, They want me to teach them how to use it. :rolleyes:

Pic related and very true : Family Tech Support Guy

Valentin N

How much did you pay for it? From the link provided it did cost quite a lot. Next time I would look for a advice before purchasing one; and i3 or i5 would have been more than enough. An ultrabook would have been a better choice.

For what you are going to do, the i7-3612qm (very nice 35Watt quadcore).

MrXidus

Valentin N said:
How much did you pay for it? From the link provided it did cost quite a lot. Next time I would look for a advice before purchasing one; and i3 or i5 would have been more than enough. An ultrabook would have been a better choice.

For what you are going to do, the i7-3612qm (very nice 35Watt quadcore).
I paid a little more than I was expecting yes but I wanted to make sure I would be able to get 60 FPS in Farmville. :)

I heard that the i7 is better than i3 or i5 so I went for the best option.

Here is some performance benchmarking I did, Seems to be good enough?

Valentin N

I think HD 4000 will be able to give you 60FPS without a problem; this is no intensive game, besides you have 730 that can cope with it. I am almost sure that HD4000 is selected so that 60fps. Correct me if I am wrong by going to nvidias control panel, search for the browser you're using and tell me what gpu it uses.

I have heard of them however I haven't used them so their vault don't tell me that much. The cpu is a true horse power so no benchmark needs to tell me that. PassMark I believe is "all-in-one suit" so I will need to see what other devices have as the number doesn't say anything to me. I looked fast at what other had for score and you have a better overall performance than a desktop A10-5700K at 4458MHz in novabench that has 1049 as core.

If you would have waited a bit long then you could have had an ultrabook with Core i5-4350U

Could you return it? If I were that's what I would do. You can also tell the price what you paid for and I will see what I can find.

Intel will over i5/i7 R-series that has Iris Pro that will perform, according to intel, similar to the low-end cpu which will run the farmville at 60fps with no problems.

Tom172

Valentin N said:
I think HD 4000 will be able to give you 60FPS without a problem; this is no intensive games, besides you have 730 can product that. I am almost sure that HD4000 is selected so that 60fps. Correct me if I am wrong by going to nvidias control panel, search for the browser you're using and tell me what gpu it uses.

I have heard of them however I haven't used them so their vault don't tell me that much. The cpu is a true horse power so no benchmark needs to tell me that. PassMark I believe is "all-in-one suit" so I will need to see what other devices have as the number doesn't say anything to me. I looked fast at what other had for score and you have a better overall performance than a desktop A10-5700K at 4458MHz in novabench that has 1049 as core.

If you would have waited a bit long then you could have had an ultrabook with Core i5-4350U

Could you return it? If I were that's what I would do. You can also tell the price what you paid for and I will see what I can find.

Intel will over i5/i7 R-series that has Iris Pro that will perform, according to intel, similar to the low-end cpu which will run the farmville at 60fps with no problems.
Not sure if you're just playing along or actually giving real advice.

Valentin N

Tom172 said:
Valentin N said:
I think HD 4000 will be able to give you 60FPS without a problem; this is no intensive games, besides you have 730 can product that. I am almost sure that HD4000 is selected so that 60fps. Correct me if I am wrong by going to nvidias control panel, search for the browser you're using and tell me what gpu it uses.

Why should I play around; for the stuff he wants to do, the cpu is far too powerful and dedicated gpu won't be used. I also commented on his question regarding the benchmarks.

For his needs an ultrabook will do more than enough; especially the ones that are about to come out.

I pretty sure that he will use it as desktop replacement - a device that will be on the desktop most of the time if not the entire time; carrying a laptop that weights 3.1kg is not something you will carry around, for this reason I mentioned the incomming i5/i7 xxxxR series that give the performance of entry-level desktop gpu from nvidia/amd in BGA-package so the cpu will be found in AiO which are desktop-replacements.

BSOD

Level 2
Verified
Valentin N said:
Tom172 said:
Valentin N said:

Why should I play around; for the stuff he wants to do, the cpu is far too powerful and dedicated gpu won't be used. I also commented on his question regarding the benchmarks.

For his needs an ultrabook will do more than enough; especially the ones that are about to come out.

I pretty sure that he will use it as desktop replacement - a device that will be on the desktop most of the time if not the entire time; carrying a laptop that weights 3.1kg is not something you will carry around, for this reason I mentioned the incomming i5/i7 xxxxR series that give the performance of entry-level desktop gpu from nvidia/amd these BGA cpu will be found in AiO which are desktop-replacements.
Oh dear...

Status
Not open for further replies.