Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul123

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Dec 9, 2016
IGNORE THIS, THINK I HAVE RESOLVED THIS NOW - There's a task in the task scheduler, that's called Office Click to run monitor, which I disabled

Since installing Office 2016 Ive notice loads of log files being created in my Temp directory in the form

<machinename><date>Mnumber>.log

ie Thinkpad170120034.log where 170220 is the date

These contain entries like
Timestamp Process TID Area Category EventID Level Message Correlation
01/20/2017 06:46:17.138 OFFICECL (0x7bd) 0x7b8 Click-To-Run General Telemetry aqkhc Medium ::InitLogging {"MachineId": "4174aabecd8d2f64c78d0ef5a5c", "SessionID": "cb2eb28-f17-4ca2-b01-30db3f8c4d9f", "GeoID": 242, "Ver": "0.0.0.0", "C2RClientVer": "16.1.7573.1343", "ContextData": "{'ModulePath':'C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\Microsoft Shared\\ClickToRun\\OfficeClickToRun.exe','CommandLine':'/service','Bitness':'64','IntegrityLevel':'0x4000','SecuritySessionId':'0','ExeVer':'16.0.7561.1343', 'ProcessType':'OfficeClickToRun'}"}

There are literally hundreds of these, and seeing as I have an SSD and want to avoid extraneous writes I dont really want them. is there a way to turn off logging in Click-to-run. Also a lot seem to be to do with telemetry so I wonder what its up to. The service seems to be running continually.

Do I actually need click-to-run (reading about it there's mention about it being used in for office updates, but am not sure - i dont want to disable updates for Office) or can I disable it, if so how?

Last edited:

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Stopping MS CTR(Click to run) service will disable it, but I won't recommend it unless you're on corporate network. CTR ensures you've latest version of office 2016.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.