Advice Request My cablemodem it's being attacked by DDOS, how to know?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

MeltdownEnemy

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2018
Hello MalwareTips comunity, I come for your help with a network problem, I don't have the knowledge or the tools to discover how hackers are attacking me to brick my internet connection. I'm just behind a router, I don't use vpn nor proxy, despite being an advantage of privacy and security, because it makes the browsing and downloading experience very slow. Yesterday I visited hundreds of websites just to find a torrent file that I needed to university task, the files frustosely didn't have seeders nir lechers because they were old, the torrent pages had stranger appearance with Russian-korean-vietnamite languages, there where i've visited I suspect that one of those places came the attack. .
Im thinking that I was a victim of a DDOS attack because my connection was not protected by VPN and was the reason why my internet had hanging / falling completely yesterday, I immediately asked to my neighbor to confirm if he had problems with the internet and he have confirmed that Not from his laptop, we are a customer of the same company. So it was not the electrical laying nor company service, my cable modem it has turned off the "online" and "activity" led lights . but why? if the ISP service it's working and confirmed.
http://www.simplehelp.net/images/cable_modems/motorola_sb5100.gif
until 2 hours ago the internet returned, now the modem its fine,The proof is that I'm here right now. My question to MalwareTips users is: how to discover the evildoers that are attacking, or how get rid of the attack when this scenario occurs again.

Freki123

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
@MeltdownEnemy Dont't get me wrong but why ddos a private person when you could get realy money for ddosing firms?
And using torrent and looking for stuff on pirate seems not to be the best thing to do without atleast proper protection and knowing what you are doing. Hardend browser, sandbox or what ever.
If it's ddos maybe restarting the router would give you a new ip and the problem vanishes? *just guessing*
Otherwise maybe try a virusscan since i would rather believe in malware then ddos from torrentsites
To be sure better seek help in the "malwarhelp forum" here to find people with more knowledge.

Maybe just a temporary internet problem my intetnet get sluggish every month or so at random. unplugging the router and waiting fixes it.
Just my random thought. Better wait for some experts :)

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
For starters, there is no DDoS protection. The most common automatic solution is to temporarily block IPs trying to connect (usually the whole IP range) and that is probably, what your ISP did and as the result, you lost your internet connection. Then again, if you used a torrent client and did NOT limit the number of connections, it is recommended to use 50-200, it might appear that you are under DDoS or your ISP might had simply blocked you, because of thousands of connection trying to reach your IP. Even if you did not connect to any peers, DHT network still creates thousands of connections. You should check your ISP's TOS regarding torrenting/P2P.

MeltdownEnemy

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2018
@MeltdownEnemy Dont't get me wrong but why ddos a private person when you could get realy money for ddosing firms?
And using torrent and looking for stuff on pirate seems not to be the best thing to do without atleast proper protection and knowing what you are doing. Hardend browser, sandbox or what ever.
If it's ddos maybe restarting the router would give you a new ip and the problem vanishes? *just guessing*
Otherwise maybe try a virusscan since i would rather believe in malware then ddos from torrentsites
To be sure better seek help in the "malwarhelp forum" here to find people with more knowledge.

Maybe just a temporary internet problem my intetnet get sluggish every month or so at random. unplugging the router and waiting fixes it.
Just my random thought. Better wait for some experts :)

Thanks, you are very kind, I did everything testing about problem, turning off and unplugging the cables for one minute and again connecting to renew another ip, I even tried to reset the modem through its buttons.& factory reset on its own local address setup 192.xxx.xxx.xxx from the browser, and nothing to do. remember, the moden itself kept completely fallen (dhcp), not is an pc malware, because the two leds "activity and online" were off , without necessity to have connected one router or pc, only way directly to the coaxial cable.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.