Solved My Chrome and IE browsers have been infected with www.apusx.com hijack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newguru

Thread author
Dec 4, 2017
Good evening

I'm having trouble with www.apusx.com. It set itself as my homepage in IE, Chrome and Firefox (Edge is not hijacked curiously), although my hamepage is set to www.bing.com. The first page that opens is always www.apusx.com. If I then press the homepage button, the correct page opens.

I've tried everything I can think of and I can't remove it. I've gone through the steps posted on malwaretips.com (How to remove Apusx.com redirect (Virus Removal Guide)): uninstall suspicious programs - though I didn't find any. I ran windows Defender, Malware-Bytes, Zemana Antimalware, Hitman Pro (also Unhackme and Emsisoft Emergency Kit). They identified some tracking cookies which I deleted.

I also reset both Chrome and IE, uninstalled Chrome multiple times, deactivated and reactivated my Chrome extensions, which are tied to my Google account, as is my PC at work (that one has no problems).

I even deleted every registry entry I found related to "apusx".

At this point in time, every scan I make with the above mentioned AV software, shows nothing wrong, and the registry is clean from apusx entries.

The problem maintains though...

I've even checked my IE / Chrome shortcuts, but the path points to the correct locations.

I can't think of anything else to do..

Please help if you can.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Addition.txt
    73 KB · Views: 0
  • FRST.txt
    77.4 KB · Views: 0

Newguru

Thread author
Dec 4, 2017
Good evening

I'm uploading new FRST and Addition files.
As soon as you can look into my case, I'd appreciate it.

Thank you

Attachments

• Addition.txt
    66.2 KB · Views: 4
  • FRST.txt
    76.1 KB · Views: 3

Newguru

Thread author
Dec 4, 2017
Hello

I've reset Windows 10 - solved the problem the hard way ;)

Thank you

Ryuno

Dec 9, 2017
Hello everyone,
I had the same problem, tried all the recipes given here and at other websites, to no avail. And I finally gave up, realizing that this time the malware creators had won. Or I would have to reinstall Windows like Newguru.
But guess what, when I switched the computer on this morning, the apusx.com start screen was gone and I had my own start up page back. Don't ask me what happened, but finally the nightmare is gone, apparently all by itself. Or was it one of the various anti malware programmes I had installed working in the background, which killed the virus off? Who knows? Anyway, just don't give up hope! It can happen!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.