My Opinion: Lifetime licenses are not good value

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
From On Sale! - Windscribe VPN: Lifetime Pro Subscription (ending in: 6 days)

Original value of $900? Oh please.

According to Windscribe's website (Pricing), the most popular subscription is the Yearly Plan of $49 USD per year.

Most Free tier users won't have thought about parting with $49 for a VPN, especially if they are satisfied with the current service.

In my opinion - these Lifetime offers are quick grab for cash. Not good value. And it's also safe to assume Neowin earn a commission from selling astronomical mega-saving deals.

"Why sell for $49, when you can make a quick $59".

Disclaimer: I'm not saying Windscribe is a bad product. It's your money, spend it how you like. This is my view/opinion on lifetime licenses offers.

*Let's say prices are fixed for that long.

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
I feel that companies can only provides an certain amount of years of good service before they start losing money from lifetime licenses. Not sure how they are earning money through the lifetime licenses especially if the service requires a server to be up 24/7 365 days a year. Maybe after a certain amount of time they'd just close shop and revoke all the lifetime licenses?

Reactions: Weebarra

3e6-16hn

Level 2
Verified
Nov 27, 2013
I feel that companies can only provides an certain amount of years of good service before they start losing money from lifetime licenses. Not sure how they are earning money through the lifetime licenses especially if the service requires a server to be up 24/7 365 days a year. Maybe after a certain amount of time they'd just close shop and revoke all the lifetime licenses?
You can read their explanation about lifetime here Lifetime Subscription FUD – Windscribe

D

Deleted member 178

Lifetime licenses are short business/marketing plan, they are made to create and consolidate a user base for a newly/not-so-known company, then once set; lifetime licenses are abandoned in profit of monthly/yearly ones.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Im too paranoid to buy anything online anyways, so im always just sticking to free products

People buy games to play them
term is buy to play
so isnt game a license aswell

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
The only software which lifetime licenses are worth it for are software that don't require any server usage or regular updates. Something like mail clients are a good example of lifetime licenses because they don't require constant updates and don't require connection to a server 24/7.

Other products like VPNs and cloud storage which rely heavily on servers and use a ton of bandwidth on them are not great for lifetime licenses because over the long run the company is sure to lose money no matter how many licenses they sell.

From On Sale! - Windscribe VPN: Lifetime Pro Subscription (ending in: 6 days)

Original value of $900? Oh please.

According to Windscribe's website (Pricing), the most popular subscription is the Yearly Plan of $49 USD per year.

Most Free tier users won't have thought about parting with $49 for a VPN, especially if they are satisfied with the current service.

In my opinion - these Lifetime offers are quick grab for cash. Not good value. And it's also safe to assume Neowin earn a commission from selling astronomical mega-saving deals.

"Why sell for $49, when you can make a quick $59".

Disclaimer: I'm not saying Windscribe is a bad product. It's your money, spend it how you like. This is my view/opinion on lifetime licenses offers.

*Let's say prices are fixed for that long.

Read the terms. I'd bet that in the terms they can cancel a license at any time (for price refactoring).

Weebarra

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2017
I don't trust them. When i see lifetime, i expect it to be MY lifetime not what they deem to be a lifetime. I don't have much money so i can't afford to lose my money should that business fold or decide to move on to another project and abandon what i paid good money for.

Weebarra

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2017
hahahaha it is Your misconception, "lifetime" was never about yours, it is the one of the product/version.

That as maybe but recently i had the need to contact a big company regarding a product i bought 3½ years ago and out of warranty (not IT or software related) which broke down on it's 3rd use. On the companies home page it states "***** - invented for life" (i starred that because it seems unfair to name them) and i asked them what life meant to them as i don't constitute life to be 3 uses or even 3½ years, after some emailing back and forward, they sent me a new product as they are the ones who said it was invented for life ... not me. ;)

Maybe i'll try it again with some lifetime license (JOKE) :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

F

ForgottenSeer 69673

I been using Windscribe for along time. I use the free version. You get 1 gig of data but if you give them your e-mail address, you get ten gig of which I have never used because I don't run the VPN full time. I could see paying for it if I lived in one of the countries the free version doesn't support.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

I've had amazingly good luck with Lifetime Licenses..

1) Malwarebytes - yup, I still have 8 of those lifetimes, all work fine.
2) Stickypassword - multiple ones, still working great.
3) Zemana - still have that one, works great!
4) Adguard - still have a stack of those, working nicely.
5) Password Generator (undisclosed name) - working great.
6) Encryption tool - working great, I use it almost daily.
7) Revo Uninstaller Pro - working great, still updating fine.
8) STAMP (for moving from music service to music service - working great, years later.

That's just off the top of my head.. The only ones I have been burned on was PasswordBox who was bought out by Intel, which offered a paltry 1 year free for their stupid Truekey, which I declined. Admuncher, Murray Hurps is a felon that hosed everyone. Otherwise, everything else has gone fine.

I've recently added 8 lifetime Heimdal licenses and 2 Windscribe Licenses. Windscribe is very nice, speedy, I'm pulling 300-400Mbps sustained on their VPN when I need it. I bought extras for when we're all on the go. It's as good as PIA for the most part but PIA won't offer lifetime so I switched away. Heimdal is going nowhere, and I have that on good authority, their business is BOOMING right now.

Also note. Windscribe lifetime only lasts 10 years and your account is closed UNLESS you notify their customer service in advance. At which point they will extend it another decade. That process must be repeated every 10 years. But really, at $59? It's a no brainer to buy into it because they offer a very nice, speedy service.

F

ForgottenSeer 69673

I've had amazingly good luck with Lifetime Licenses..

1) Malwarebytes - yup, I still have 8 of those lifetimes, all work fine.
2) Stickypassword - multiple ones, still working great.
3) Zemana - still have that one, works great!
4) Adguard - still have a stack of those, working nicely.
5) Password Generator (undisclosed name) - working great.
6) Encryption tool - working great, I use it almost daily.
7) Revo Uninstaller Pro - working great, still updating fine.
8) STAMP (for moving from music service to music service - working great, years later.

That's just off the top of my head.. The only ones I have been burned on was PasswordBox who was bought out by Intel, which offered a paltry 1 year free for their stupid Truekey, which I declined. Admuncher, Murray Hurps is a felon that hosed everyone. Otherwise, everything else has gone fine.

I've recently added 8 lifetime Heimdal licenses and 2 Windscribe Licenses. Windscribe is very nice, speedy, I'm pulling 300-400Mbps sustained on their VPN when I need it. I bought extras for when we're all on the go. It's as good as PIA for the most part but PIA won't offer lifetime so I switched away. Heimdal is going nowhere, and I have that on good authority, their business is BOOMING right now.

Also note. Windscribe lifetime only lasts 10 years and your account is closed UNLESS you notify their customer service in advance. At which point they will extend it another decade. That process must be repeated every 10 years. But really, at $59? It's a no brainer to buy into it because they offer a very nice, speedy service.

are you using the free version of Heimdal or the pro version? I used it for a while but found I did not need it with my current config.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.