My PC Always Faster without Windows firewall and Defender. Sooo I think this might be best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VeeekTor

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
May 16, 2017
I have noticed my PC is always faster if I install another AV, that disables Windows Defender.

This also applies to a lite firewall, that disables Windows Firewall.

This may have something to do with sloppy coding, I don't know. All I can share is my experience, since I spend more time with my PC, that with my wife.

I think I might try Comodo Firewall and a very lite AV, that simply has one function. But not Panda, or Comodo Cloud AV (at least not yet, until it matures more).

I'm thinking maybe McAfee Cloud AV McAfee® Cloud AV

What are your thoughts, and recommendations

F

ForgottenSeer 65219

I can't verify windows firewall part but about windows defender, It's really slow down my system.with a SATA III SSD, It takes 30 seconds to load all system and software but 3 minutes to windows defender high load ended :eek:

Reactions: Fritz and shmu26

Cch123

Level 7
Verified
May 6, 2014
Can't comment on your personal experience, but its highly unlikely for Windows Firewall to cause any noticeable slow down in your computer. Windows firewall from Windows 7 and up is actually very well designed. In fact, most Internet security suites use Windows firewall under the hood, but with outbound control and a nicer interface.

Also, I wouldn't consider them "sloppy coding". They're written by the same people who made the OS after all, and Microsoft Security Response team is pretty well respected.

VeeekTor

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
May 16, 2017
I can't verify windows firewall part but about windows defender, It's really slow down my system.with a SATA III SSD, It takes 30 seconds to load all system and software but 3 minutes to windows defender high load ended :eek:

I noticed this too.

VeeekTor

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
May 16, 2017
Can't comment on your personal experience, but its highly unlikely for Windows Firewall to cause any noticeable slow down in your computer. Windows firewall from Windows 7 and up is actually very well designed. In fact, most Internet security suites use Windows firewall under the hood, but with outbound control and a nicer interface.

Also, I wouldn't consider them "sloppy coding". They're written by the same people who made the OS after all, and Microsoft Security Response team is pretty well respected.

No disrespect toward MS.... Just saying it's possible.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
For a light AV, try Avast free, do a custom install without any other components, just the AV and that's it.
But if you want also the Avast cloud database, you have to install the web shield component as well.

VeeekTor

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
May 16, 2017
For a light AV, try Avast free, do a custom install without any other components, just the AV and that's it.
But if you want also the Avast cloud database, you have to install the web shield component as well.

Very Nice. Good Idea.

Reactions: shmu26

Dave Russo

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014
You can disable Windows defender,with "NO DEFENDER", Try no AV,with just voodoshield,I did it for awhile,way less resources never got a virus

Reactions: shmu26
D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

I think I might try Comodo Firewall and a very lite AV, that simply has one function. But not Panda, or Comodo Cloud AV (at least not yet, until it matures more).
You can try Zemana Anti-Malware as real-time protection together with Comodo Firewall. I have tryed it before without any noticable system impact on low-end laptop and it was very light combo. :)

F

ForgottenSeer 55474

I switched from McAfee Live Safe to Bitdefender Total Protection+Zemana Anti Malware Premium, and i got much more speed in every way.
I have Voodooshield (paid)+Hitman Pro as second opinion Malware scanner.:)

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
I have noticed my PC is always faster if I install another AV, that disables Windows Defender.
All I can share is my experience, since I spend more time with my PC, that with my wife.
What are your thoughts, and recommendations

I am sure, that this is your wife's conspiracy. My recomendation is: spend more time with your wife.:)

VeeekTor

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
May 16, 2017
OK So I have been testing all day... I have a "base" image backup, made with Macrium, and I have been restoring that Image every time I test a new security software.

I know you won't like this, but so far, as I have been opening applications, opening web pages, and counting the reboot seconds, the fastest security application is McAfee Internet Security.

So far I have tested Kaspersky IS, AVG IS, Avast IS, G-Data IS, Eset IS, and Bitdefender IS.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
OK So I have been testing all day... I have a "base" image backup, made with Macrium, and I have been restoring that Image every time I test a new security software.

I know you won't like this, but so far, as I have been opening applications, opening web pages, and counting the reboot seconds, the fastest security application is McAfee Internet Security.

So far I have tested Kaspersky IS, AVG IS, Avast IS, G-Data IS, Eset IS, and Bitdefender IS.
My guess is that Qihoo 360 at default settings would also be pretty fast. No comment on its effectiveness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.