My PC Specs

I

illumination

Thread author
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home SP1 64-bit
CPU: AMD V120 Champlain 45nm Technology 2.20GHz
RAM: 4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 540MHz
Motherboard: Acer Aspire 5251 (Socket S1G4)
Graphics: Generic PnP Monitor (1366x768@60Hz)
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200 Series
HDD: 244GB Hitachi
Optical Drives: Matshita DVD-Ram
Audio: Realtek High Definition Audio

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Looks good. How much did you pay for this setup ?

I

illumination

Thread author
Jack said:

Actually it is just a cheap laptop that came stock with this other then the ram. It originally had 2 gig of ram instead of 4.
This model will run you a little over $300, and when times are tight like they are now, not a bad deal considering.
I wiped all the bloatware that comes pre-installed, and made this system light, and fast.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
thewolfsmith72 said:
Jack said:

This model will run you a little over $300, and when times are tight like they are now, not a bad deal considering.

Very true. It's more than enough for most activities.Do you play any games on it?

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
if this is your office and surf laptop then it will be enough but I strongly suggest strong laptop (500-700 is a good price). if you ever want to buy more powerful then tell and I will help :) I can say that tigerdirect.com and neweggs.com are good places.

I

illumination

Thread author
Jack said:
thewolfsmith72 said:
Jack said:

Very true. It's more than enough for most activities.Do you play any games on it?

I do not mess with games or apps at all actually.. I mostly do research with it, occasionally I watch videos, and a movie.. For which this is more then enough to do all that on! :D

Valentin N said:
if this is your office and surf laptop then it will be enough but I strongly suggest strong laptop (500-700 is a good price). if you ever want to buy more powerful then tell and I will help :) I can say that tigerdirect.com and neweggs.com are good places.

Thank you for the offer, will keep it in mind, as i am always looking to move up and beyond! This one wont last forever..;)

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
jamescv7 said:
From your specification, its very good indeed.

for what use? office and surfing? then yes but nothing less; the cpu is a single core and the ATI 4250 is a IGP, in otherwords an onboard gpu.

I

illumination

Thread author
Valentin N said:
jamescv7 said:
From your specification, its very good indeed.

for what use? office and surfing? then yes but nothing less; the cpu is a single core and the ATI 4250 is a IGP, in otherwords an onboard gpu.

This is true to a point! although not intended for high end gaming, it can hold its own with the single core, and the ATI 4250, is upgradeable, the ATI Catalyst Software Suite, has had numerous upgrades since buying this a year ago. So it can be used for more then just office and surfing...

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
Acer won't let you come to the gpu or the cpu that easy :(. I have read somewhere that some gpu are not upgradeable.

how do you mean that the ATI 4250 is upgradeable?

I

illumination

Thread author
The ATI Catalyst Software Suite through AMD's website , contains the driver and controls for the graphics.
I have upgraded the Software Suite 3 times since I have had this laptop in the last year, and each time the graphics have greatly improved.. Take a look at latest fix's on AMD's website.. ATI Catalyst Software Suite 11.6

I

illumination

Thread author
For those that can not afford an expensive laptop, this is a good way to go! ;) Add a little Ram and update the Software, wipe all the Bloatware, and away you go! :D

I

illumination

Thread author
Agree 100% with both.. Do wish I had a dual core, but that will be another day and another dollar! ;)

I

illumination

Thread author
Yesterday, I just reset my laptop to factory settings after doing some testing. I upgraded my graphics (ATI) from (HD4250) to
(HD4200 series).. It is the Catalyst Software Suite 11.6

Shadow Death

May 12, 2011
Keep in mind Intel will start to release new i series processors and AMD has already begun releasing their APU's for laptops... some of which are beastly laptops for 700-800 range.

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
Shadow Death said:
Keep in mind Intel will start to release new i series processors and AMD has already begun releasing their APU's for laptops... some of which are beastly laptops for 700-800 range.

APU's are not worth it untill the drivers are better; the the dedicated card only boosts 15% which not that good... for that price you can a good intel quadcore cpu and graphic card.

I would like to see the FX cpu come out and see what prices they land on.

Regards,
Valentin N

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.