NatsuruHaveALife Sec Config

NatsuruHaveALife :D

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
May 18, 2015
I was saved by KIS earlier with Google Images. Blocked a Malicious URL.
But main thing is to be cautious. Don't click on everything on FB. These AVs downfalls are the security of the machines weakest point. No offense, the user. Social engineering works wonders to get you to install malware on your machine. KIS is one of the best. Even detects Zbot executables i have found in wild.

FireShootSK

Level 17
Verified
Feb 17, 2015
Hello @NatsuruHaveALife :D
Your config is strong but i give you few suggestions:
  • Have you enabled UAC? UAC can safe your PC.
  • Combofix can destroy your PC. If you do not know how to write scripts do not use it.
  • I don't see any website ranking addon. I recommend use BitDefender TrafficLight or WoT(Yes i know Kaspersky have good webshield but protection is protection)
  • Try use uBlock, it's lighter and littler better AdBlock
  • Try use PrivaZer/CCleaner and LastPass
Thanks for share your config.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
With proper configuration which bundled in AV like Application Control, HIPS or BB, there instances can save you a lot when signatures/cloud bypass and KIS is packed of many features.

Glad you found a satisfaction with that product, anyway its already a good configuration. ;)

(You may add a backup browser in case of any problems occur)

L

LabZero

Definitely a good security setup.
You've saved your important data on an external and internal HDD.
But do you have a OS backup &recovery plan to save and restore your operating system in case of serious errors or malware? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
May 18, 2015
Definitely a good security setup.
You've saved your important data on an external and internal HDD.
But do you have a OS backup &recovery plan to save and restore your operating system in case of serious errors or malware? ;)
yeah have a usb stick with Win 7 AIO, and also OpenSUSE

Hello @NatsuruHaveALife :D
Your config is strong but i give you few suggestions:
  • Have you enabled UAC? UAC can safe your PC.
  • Combofix can destroy your PC. If you do not know how to write scripts do not use it.
  • I don't see any website ranking addon. I recommend use BitDefender TrafficLight or WoT(Yes i know Kaspersky have good webshield but protection is protection)
  • Try use uBlock, it's lighter and littler better AdBlock
  • Try use PrivaZer/CCleaner and LastPass
Thanks for share your config.
WoT usually, as well as Adblocks built in Malware domain blocker.

comfortablynumb15

Level 7
Verified
May 11, 2015
WOT is too often gamed or out of date on its rankings, don't bother. Having a "blacklist" of malware domains seems like a good idea, until you realize these domains are usually changed multiple times a day and "bad sites" change even more frequently. Blacklisting is for secondary defenses, but your NoScript is a great main defense. Make sure you keep Flash either blocked or set to "Click to Play", because "malvertising" is a huge source of infections these days. Get Combofix out of there, and you're well prepared. Having a backup image alone will solve 99% of any web-based problems you're ever going to see.

Reactions: jadequest99

DoxThis

Level 3
Verified
Apr 25, 2015
I recommend for security purposes to go to firefox and disable webrtc.
If you dont know its at
about:config (In search bar)
then media.peerconnection.enabled and make sure it is off

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
May 18, 2015
WOT is too often gamed or out of date on its rankings, don't bother. Having a "blacklist" of malware domains seems like a good idea, until you realize these domains are usually changed multiple times a day and "bad sites" change even more frequently. Blacklisting is for secondary defenses, but your NoScript is a great main defense. Make sure you keep Flash either blocked or set to "Click to Play", because "malvertising" is a huge source of infections these days. Get Combofix out of there, and you're well prepared. Having a backup image alone will solve 99% of any web-based problems you're ever going to see.
I also have a few Kaspersky Ransom decryption Software programs, As well as The back up, and my own knowledge of Networking And Packet sniffing through wireshark. can come in handy against ransom trojans.

also some fakeav botnets spam wot to boost their rep.

With proper configuration which bundled in AV like Application Control, HIPS or BB, there instances can save you a lot when signatures/cloud bypass and KIS is packed of many features.

Glad you found a satisfaction with that product, anyway its already a good configuration. ;)

(You may add a backup browser in case of any problems occur)
Added Opera and Chrome. Scriptsafe on Opera with Adblock plus, and chrome. Oh, and also the tor browser bundle. Also have a live cd of Ubuntu for banking and purchases online, and when i have to use credit cards, i use prepaid. if i have to access my bank account, I always do it from the ubuntu live. Also have VMware with Multiple OS's.

comfortablynumb15

Level 7
Verified
May 11, 2015
I could be wrong, but I believe ScriptSafe is/was a dead extension that stopped development some time ago. Chrome and Firefox (with NoScript ) are your two safest options. That all being said, I'm very confident in saying you're more prepared than the majority of people on this forum..and really more prepared than a good percentage of the professionals out there. I'd say if you manage to get hosed, someone was really after you or you did it intentionally, lol.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
May 18, 2015
I could be wrong, but I believe ScriptSafe is/was a dead extension that stopped development some time ago. Chrome and Firefox (with NoScript ) are your two safest options. That all being said, I'm very confident in saying you're more prepared than the majority of people on this forum..and really more prepared than a good percentage of the professionals out there. I'd say if you manage to get hosed, someone was really after you or you did it intentionally, lol.
Meant ScriptDefender.

Reactions: jadequest99

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Thank you for sharing your well thought out configuration NatsuruHaveALife :D. Yours is possibly the longest user name I've come across recently:D:cool:
Before allowing myself to suggest an encrypted password manager I'd scrolled back up to the top, & as sure as the sun rises in the East, @FireShootSK had (in fact) already mentioned LastPass www.lastpass.com which is one of our household's most thoroughly used apps/or free extensions. Both provides the same level of security for all your passwords & banking fields.

Are you familiar with utilizing a Sandbox? Sandboxie is a free program which prevents unwanted changes caused by ransom-ware or Trojans from spoiling your good day.
That banner below that resembles a yellow kite without a tail must allude to my enthusiasm.:rolleyes: The only reason Firefox is not in a sandbox nowo_O is mainly because (next best thing) I'm typing from Ubuntu recently installed on our Virtual Box.;)

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
May 18, 2015
I owe it to an old friend. he was the most paranoid guy with computers there was. Can't blame him though. With the type of malware now, you need to be. maybe not back then, but now you do. I have an XP setup i have been using for years and never gotten infected since 2012 with it. Thats how long i had XP on it. I have a basic config with Windows Defender for 8.1 too. I use different setups, but they generally use MSE, Windows defender, KIS or AVG. or Norton. I have used TM Housecall a time or two. good second opinion. and yeah i use sandboxie. and have ads in skype disabled

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
May 18, 2015
I remove viruses a whole lot. I infect machines with Rootkits on purpose to remove them. I am going to say better to be paranoid and it never get in than let it have a chance to get in. One gets in you get another one which downloads another and then another and then you are massively infected before you know it.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.