Natty Narwhal: the First Linux for Newbies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

win7holic

Thread author
Apr 20, 2011
Natty Narwhal: the First Linux for Newbies?

Whenever a new version of an operating system is released, it's common to see a wave of reviews following on its heels, assessing how the software compares with what came before it and weighing its new pros and cons.

Read more

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
I once read an article that Linux mint is the best start if you're new with Linux.

Regards,
Valentin N

Tweak

Jan 8, 2011
Mint I must say is probably one of the easier to start with but if you are new to Linux the Chinese did bring an interesting option to the table with YLMF (Based on Ubuntu 10.04)

http://www.ylmf.org/en/

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
Tweak said:
Mint I must say is probably one of the easier to start with but if you are new to Linux the Chinese did bring an interesting option to the table with YLMF (Based on Ubuntu 10.04)

http://www.ylmf.org/en/

YLMF has XP's design. Looks like that at least

Comment (maybe abit Offtopic)

When I used ubuntu I did the same operation when I installed something as I do when I install something on Win, so I have hard dealt with therminal so it's almost like windows.

If someone want to play windows games and other windows application (no security application though; WineHQ doesn't contain the necessary system files.).

Regards,
Valentin N

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well even before I'm not use Linux the only I know the OS was ubuntu.

win7holic

Thread author
Apr 20, 2011
hmm..
for me..
1. windows OS (win 7 not vista, vista not better than XP)
2. ubuntu OS
3. mac OSX

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
Tweak said:
Mint I must say is probably one of the easier to start with

I don't really know that I would say it's any easier than any other flavor of Linux, but since what they call the main version (therefore probably the most often downloaded version) comes with the GNOME desktop, GNOME has always felt like a more Windows based organization of features to me, it could feel more familiar to Windows users. But then so would any GNOME desktop builds. Although KDE is nice, sometimes it seems like things aren't were they should be, so it could seem a little more difficult to navigate initially.

Mints panels can also be a bit glitchy. Sometimes panel applets just detach/remove themselves from the panel. I've had the applet to show open windows on the panel remove itself, so attempts to minimize application windows appears to close the application because it just vanishes when you minimize something. Unless you know to look for this, this can be frustrating. I've never experienced this with any other Linux builds that I've tried, and looking on the Mint forums, it isn't just me that has this issue.

Plus some of the applets themselves are a bit buggy, and it's not an easy task to remove a buggy applet from the panel.

new user

Jun 18, 2011
HeffeD said:
Tweak said:
Mint I must say is probably one of the easier to start with

I don't really know that I would say it's any easier than any other flavor of Linux, but since what they call the main version (therefore probably the most often downloaded version) comes with the GNOME desktop, GNOME has always felt like a more Windows based organization of features to me, it could feel more familiar to Windows users. But then so would any GNOME desktop builds. Although KDE is nice, sometimes it seems like things aren't were they should be, so it could seem a little more difficult to navigate initially.

Mints panels can also be a bit glitchy. Sometimes panel applets just detach/remove themselves from the panel. I've had the applet to show open windows on the panel remove itself, so attempts to minimize application windows appears to close the application because it just vanishes when you minimize something. Unless you know to look for this, this can be frustrating. I've never experienced this with any other Linux builds that I've tried, and looking on the Mint forums, it isn't just me that has this issue.

Plus some of the applets themselves are a bit buggy, and it's not an easy task to remove a buggy applet from the panel.

Those so called "glitches" are not unique to mint. It affects all of gnome 2 since gnome-panel has been deprecated for some time.

Mint is no easier to use then ubuntu, BUT it has all the codecs and proprietary software like Java and flash set up for you, which Ubuntu can't do due to legal reasons.

Oh and all the "easy" Linux distros are easy at the expense of Linux power users like me. :(

Shadow Death

May 12, 2011
As a friend at college said... It's great to see Ubuntu gaining ground like this... but at the same time it's sad. While they're getting bigger and fancier I feel that the DEV crowd are leaving Ubuntu for other distros of linux now. With that being said, with out those dev users Ubuntu is turning into the Windows of linux.

"I have a problem with my computer, for some reason linux keeps giving me an error. Lots of people have the error and it dates back 3 months but no one has a fix for it yet." - Class Mate
"Ubuntu is the windows of linux, format and reinstall." - My friend.

new user

Jun 18, 2011
Shadow Death said:
As a friend at college said... It's great to see Ubuntu gaining ground like this... but at the same time it's sad. While they're getting bigger and fancier I feel that the DEV crowd are leaving Ubuntu for other distros of linux now. With that being said, with out those dev users Ubuntu is turning into the Windows of linux.

"I have a problem with my computer, for some reason linux keeps giving me an error. Lots of people have the error and it dates back 3 months but no one has a fix for it yet." - Class Mate
"Ubuntu is the windows of linux, format and reinstall." - My friend.

The dev crowd is not leaving Ubuntu. They may not be happy with Unity and despise it (like me). They may only use it as a secondary Distro, but they use it. If you want to develop an app on linux, you want to be able to reach as much users as you can. Your program must work on Ubuntu. Plus launchpad.net is pretty dev friendly. The fact the Ubuntu will Include QT has pleased a lot of developers.

TKFlight

May 19, 2011
Ubuntu is the main Linux distro, I don't think any dev is leaving. Ubuntu is pretty user friendly, I learned how to use Linux on Ubuntu. But you still need computer knowledge, you need more knowledge than knowing how to use Windows. Is Ubuntu user friendly? You can say that, but it still requires a lot of computer knowledge. Not a big fan of Unity either, that's the main reason why I switched to Kubuntu.

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
When you think about the "free as in free speech" community and what they are trying to achieve, a friendly linux distro helps allot.
I enjoyed reading this interview with Canonical founder Mark Shuttleworth.
Traditionally, Ubuntu has used the GNOME interface as a default, but shipped multiple versions so people could choose other options, such as KDE. Canonical is working to get GNOME 3 -- or whatever comes after -- into future releases of Ubuntu so that people will have that choice again, Shuttleworth said.

new user

Jun 18, 2011
Ubuntu 11.10 Alpha builds (which are in Alpha, and highly unstable) already have gnome 3 in the repositories.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.