Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaspion

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
[SOLVED!]
Pleas guys! Anyone with AVG installed can you please find avgboota.sys in Windows\system32\drivers and send it to me? It probably has to be a Win8 installation.

If anyone knows another way to solve this, I appreciate any help!

Last edited:

Jaspion

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
Yes, but I'm trying to see if anyone has it first. I'll have to install it on another laptop over TimeFreeze, and I'm worried it may cause some problem with this other computer too. system32

Jaspion

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
It's Win8, so should have 64 bit support, but the file was in system32.

Last edited:

Malware1

Level 76
Sep 28, 2011
When I click Next when it asks for the license, nothing happens so I'm unable to help you.

Jaspion

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
No worries anyways, problem solved by retrieving the files from another installation (shielded by TimeFreeze, thanks ToolWiz!) and copying them to the troubled laptop.

Details for those who love those dirty bits:

I once had AVG Free in this laptop. I did not like it, so I uninstalled it. No biggie. Then, yesterday, many moons later, I was rooting out unnecessary files, such as remaining Privatefirewall files, Panda's too, etc etc, and one product which had left files was AVG. So that's what I did, I deleted some files from system32. So was I asking for trouble? Let's see how AVG themselves suggest we solve an AVG-related Window boot problem:

Disabling AVG when Windows cannot start
Instructions
If your computer fails to start and you suspect that AVG may be causing the issue, take the following steps to disable loading of AVG during the computer startup.
  1. Download and install AVG Rescue CD on a CD or on a flash drive. Visit the AVG Rescue CD Video Tutorial on YouTube or Using AVG Rescue CD page for help with this step.
  2. Launch AVG Rescue CD.
  3. Select Utilities, and then select File Manager.
  4. Browse to /mnt/sda1/Windows/System32/drivers
    Note: If you have more hard drives in your computer, the Windows folder may be available in /sda2/, /sda3/, etc. instead of /sda1/.
  5. Scroll down to view files starting with "avg" in their name, such as avgldx86.sys,avgmfx86.sys, avgtdix.sys, etc.
  6. Select each file starting with "avg", and then press the keys SHIFT+F6 on your keyboard to open the file rename dialogue.
  7. Change the "sys" part of the name to "old" in the to: line, and then pressENTER to confirm the change. The name of the file will then be e.g. "avgmfx86.old".
  8. When all AVG files are renamed, remove the AVG Rescue CD CD or USB drive from the computer, and then restart the computer (press CTRL+ALT+DELETEkeys simultaneously).
  9. Once your computer starts, uninstall AVG by following the steps in the article Uninstall AVG.
from: http://support.avg.com/SupportArticleView?q=Disabling AVG when Windows cannot start&urlname=Disabling-AVG-when-Windows-cannot-start&l=en_US

Yeah...

So, now these ghost files are still here and still needed by my system for some reason... and I had to be working since yesterday when the doo-doo hit the fan, so back to work for now, thank god, and I'll get rid of the files permanently later.

EDIT:
Using AVG's standalone self-uninstaller, I was able to get rid of the files with no problems later on.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.