Need GlassWire Firewall Info

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hjlbx

Thread author
Hello,

I'm probably going to give GlassWire a try on my system, but right now I'm testing BiniSoft's Windows Firewall Control and submitting found bugs to the developer. Consequently, I just don't feel like uninstalling it at this moment and replacing it with GlassWire.

Can anyone give me a general impression of GlassWire?

Does it alert to outbound connections?

When you respond to the alert can you specify the protocol, remote port and remote address?

Thanks

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Very simple tool where the main aspects is for monitoring any network changes by applications connected in the internet, you can turn on and off the applications to be blocked or allow.

The alerts interface posted in the website is a straightforward concept, like an automatic response action already.

Reactions: Kent

marzametal

Level 7
Verified
Jun 10, 2014
Threat protection also covers - ARP spoofing, DNS changes... am interested in the ARP spoofing...

EDIT: it's difficult to contemplate uninstalling WFC.... but I don't want anyone spoofing my ARP, mightaswell (LOL @ spell check wanting me to replace this word with "might swell") hand over the keys to the house.

okap1

Level 1
Verified
Mar 12, 2014
Question:
Fairly noobish. currently using KIS with MBAM Pro ( permissions for each). However, I like what Glasswire has to offer, especially pro version (cost not an issue).
Considering switching to KAV/MBAM Pro/GW Pro while using MS FW.

To a large degree after initial setup KIS is set it and forget it.... GW is not.... gives amazing info and options, but worried, as a relative novice, that I may not know what call to make on unfamiliar request..

Adding to my concern about messing up (especially with outbounds) are the the "cons" mentioned in this sites otherwise positive review:

--Can be a bit rough on resources (approximately 17.5 % CPU\40 MB RAM) on my moderately busy W8.1 AMD system; cycles from 0 to 20+ % CPU with short periods above 17.5 %. (Not a real issue due to short intervals of elevated CPU usage).
-Cannot create permanent firewall rules.
  • Does not alert to individual remote IP address connects; cannot block individual IP addresses.
  • No WHOIS or IP address verification query available in current version.
    -Cannot save activity log.
    -Currently no means to remove an app from the firewall list.
  • Currently no means to re-organize or search the firewall list.
  • The lack of repeat notifications for apps...after an app makes it very first outbound connect, there will be no additional notifications when it makes subsequent connects...
Any suggestions?

Thanks

H

hjlbx

Thread author
Question:
Fairly noobish. currently using KIS with MBAM Pro ( permissions for each). However, I like what Glasswire has to offer, especially pro version (cost not an issue).
Considering switching to KAV/MBAM Pro/GW Pro while using MS FW.

To a large degree after initial setup KIS is set it and forget it.... GW is not.... gives amazing info and options, but worried, as a relative novice, that I may not know what call to make on unfamiliar request..

Adding to my concern about messing up (especially with outbounds) are the the "cons" mentioned in this sites otherwise positive review:

--Can be a bit rough on resources (approximately 17.5 % CPU\40 MB RAM) on my moderately busy W8.1 AMD system; cycles from 0 to 20+ % CPU with short periods above 17.5 %. (Not a real issue due to short intervals of elevated CPU usage).
-Cannot create permanent firewall rules.
  • Does not alert to individual remote IP address connects; cannot block individual IP addresses.
  • No WHOIS or IP address verification query available in current version.
    -Cannot save activity log.
    -Currently no means to remove an app from the firewall list.
  • Currently no means to re-organize or search the firewall list.
  • The lack of repeat notifications for apps...after an app makes it very first outbound connect, there will be no additional notifications when it makes subsequent connects...
Any suggestions?

Thanks

@okap1

I wrote the review. Since then GlassWire released their Pro version. I have not tried it... due 100% to cost.

Why don't you try the trial and see how well it works for you on your specific system?

For best security using Windows Firewall I would suggest BiniSoft's Windows Firewall Control - it provides outbound notifications - and it is quite a piece of itty-bitty software. Only costing $10 for Lifetime License\Unlimited Installs it may very well be the best security related soft available. Although it has none of the nice GlassWire graphics.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
@hjlbx : How are the Bini's pop-up notifications? I regret that there was no way to trial them.

@okap1 : GlassWire really isn't a firewall but more of a HIDS and its meant to be used with Windows Firewall, which can do all the other stuff you mentioned (GlassWire handles lookups). Why would you want to know every outbound connection? You only care about the first--especially if it is unexpected--otherwise, suspicious activity would just get lost in the noise.
GlassWire manages the built in Windows firewall to block or unblock applications so your operating system stays stable, secure, and reliable.
cf. https://www.glasswire.com/userguide/#Firewall_Tab

H

hjlbx

Thread author
@hjlbx : How are the Bini's pop-up notifications? I regret that there was no way to trial them.

Bini's alerts are damn good. It's a slick app. You can look up remote addresses using various built-in look-up services... a nice touch that is absent in every AV firewall that I have tried.

However, when first installed, it will keep you busy for a while creating rules for various apps as they update, you install new softs, etc. It can be quite a rigmarole.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Glasswire seems to be a cool piece of software

Reactions: Kent
H

hjlbx

Thread author
Glasswire seems to be a cool piece of software

Pretty graphics - but - alerts user only on app's very 1st outbound connection. After 1st connect, then no additional alerts.

At least that is how free version was...

Do not know about paid version. Didn't even try it because Pro version is $100 (US) - or thereabouts.

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
Paid version unlocks the "Ask to connect" option.

Why would you ever want to be asked beyond the first outbound connection? Are you a sadomasochist who enjoys micromanagement?

Reactions: Deleted member 178
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Why would you ever want to be asked beyond the first outbound connection? Are you a sadomasochist who enjoys micromanagement?

i was going to ask that too , maybe he used to play Warcraft 3 :D

H

hjlbx

Thread author
Paid version unlocks the "Ask to connect" option.

@Umbra

Sometimes it is useful when testing malwares... delayed IP connects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.