Advice Request Need Help to Get Apps to Run in Avast Manual Sandbox (Virtualised)

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I want to run some applications including web browser in the Manual Sandbox provided in Avast Premier (inc. Suite and Pro).

However I run into some sort of issue from unable to locate Profile for Chrome, apps/extensions/addons crashing, and Spotify being unable to play any songs (continuously skipping).

I would be grateful if any users of Avast Pro, Suite or Premier know how to get things working. I have provided screenshots below, click on them to enlarge images.

Here is a list of software that I want to run in the Sandbox:
  • Microsoft Edge
  • Spotify
  • Apps/Installers downloaded into the Downloads folder
  • If possible, Chrome browser

Avast Sandbox Settings

Parameters
upload_2016-10-7_21-33-30.png

Sandbox Storage

upload_2016-10-7_21-33-48.png

Web browsers

upload_2016-10-7_21-35-19.png

Virtualised processes (files/folders)

upload_2016-10-7_21-36-11.png

Privacy

upload_2016-10-7_21-37-29.png upload_2016-10-7_21-37-45.png

Internet Access

upload_2016-10-7_21-36-42.png

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I think you will find most legit/malicious applications are not going to fair well because of the restrictions implemented into the sandbox itself.
Are there any settings I could change to allow some apps to work in the Sandbox?

Reactions: Deleted member 2913
H

hjlbx

Chrome run in sandbox (COMODO, Sandboxie) or isolated (ReHIPS) is problematic for a lot of users.

If you are trying to run Edge, it might not be supported. It isn't supported in Sandboxie or ReHIPS. I'd guess the same for COMODO.

In Browsers I would tick "All..."

You might have to close Chrome and reboot system after ticking it for it to solve problem.

If that don't work, then I got no ideas.

@Spawn

Did you ever get a definitive answer to your initial question ?

I have a client that says our product broke sandboxing. That is most definitely not the case.

I asked what they recently did on their system. They stated that they installed AIS with Chrome and MicrosoftEdge auto-sandboxed.

Online I can only find a reference on the Avast forum in Sept that some users cannot run Chrome sandboxed. Edge very likely isn't supported so I'm not surprised it cannot run sandboxed.

Anyone got infos on Avast's sandbox and browsers ?

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
No solution found. Avast Sandbox is broken or breaks other software. I don't recommend using it unless they make major changes.

For the meantime I have removed Avast Premier for Bitdefender Antivirus Free on Windows 10, otherwise may revert to Defender.

Last edited:

No solution found. Avast Sandbox is broken or breaks other software. I don't recommend using it unless they make major changes.

For the meantime I have removed Avast Premier for Bitdefender Antivirus Free on Windows 10, otherwise may revert to Defender.

Avast Sandbox is kinda useless.

Comodo Sandbox - Most of the programs run fine.
Avast Sandbox - Most of the programs dont run.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Reactions: Deleted member 2913
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.