Need to get rid of weknow.ac. I ran Malwarebytes and it says "no threats"

Status
Not open for further replies.

raptekar

Thread author
Dec 15, 2018
Need to get rid of weknow.ac. I ran Malwarebytes and it says "no threats"
BUT the malware is still there on Chrome (but not Safari or Firefox)
I can't find profiles to remove it
Please help!

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Hello @raptekar,

Lets completely remove Google Chrome and all its data, then reinstall it. Before doing this be aware that this will delete all data for all Google apps you have installed, such as your bookmarks, so you will need to export them before doing this.

1. To completely remove Google Chrome, click the Finder icon, from the menu bar. Choose Go, click Go to Folder, then paste one of the below paths into the window that opens.

Code:
    /Applications/Chrome.app
    /Library/Application Support/Google/
    /Library/Google/
    ~/Library/Application Support/Google/
    ~/Library/Google/
    ~/Library/Preferences/com.google.Chrome.plist
  2. You will need to delete all of the above items. After deleting all of the above files, restart your device.
  3. You can now download and re-install Google Chrome on your device. You will need to import any exported bookmarks or other data, and may need to reinstall any other Google apps that you use.

Reactions: Nestor and upnorth
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.