Troubleshoot Need to Recover My Win10 Password

bassspoo

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 21, 2018
I have attached MS account and local admin on my Windows PC. Everything goes smoothly until a recent update was taken into effect. I can't login with Microsoft account, which keeps saying incorrect password. The awkward thing is that I forgot the password of admin account.

I tried to reset the password via Microsoft account service but new password doesn't work either.

Ah try this:

Those bootable toolkit solutions present problems of their own many times. By the time a user creates that bootable USB toolkit and sorts out any problems, they could have just clean installed Windows.

Some users reported BIOS updates causing them not to be able to reset their winlogon passwords on Dell PCs. The BIOS update was to fix the Meltdown\Spectre vulnerability.

Other security updates could also have caused it - whether on Dell or other OEM systems.

The inability to reset the winlogon password is not one specific issue on Windows; it is connected to multiple issues.

@ItsReallyMe

It's common sense... if you keep experiencing the issue of being locked out of your Windows account over-and-over and cannot reset your password every single time, then don't set a winlogon password. A Windows security feature that is unreliable to the point of it not working - or worse - locking you out of the system - is pointless to use it. And jumping through hoops to use it or fix it is even worse.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

bassspoo

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 21, 2018
Those bootable toolkit solutions present problems of their own many times. By the time a user creates that bootable USB toolkit and sorts out any problems, they could have just clean installed Windows.

Some users reported BIOS updates causing them not to be able to reset their winlogon passwords on Dell PCs. The BIOS update was to fix the Meltdown\Spectre vulnerability.

Other security updates could also have caused it - whether on Dell or other OEM systems.

The inability to reset the winlogon password is not one specific issue on Windows; it is connected to multiple issues.

@ItsReallyMe

It's common sense... if you keep experiencing the issue of being locked out of your Windows account over-and-over and cannot reset your password every single time, then don't set a winlogon password. A Windows security feature that is unreliable to the point of it not working - or worse - locking you out of the system - is pointless to use it. And jumping through hoops to use it or fix it is even worse.

Thanks for the input. Actually, my first thought was to make a clean install. I have done this on XP. However, there are a few important files on the computer and that is the reason why I am seeking for a secure method.

Upvote 0

Silmaek

Level 1
Apr 10, 2018
Thanks for the input. Actually, my first thought was to make a clean install. I have done this on XP. However, there are a few important files on the computer and that is the reason why I am seeking for a secure method.
After reinstalling , some or all of the data saved on the computer will be deleted from your computer,It's dangerous, you can login your local account to access your computer , and you can change or delete the Microsoft account from your Windows 10 ,

Upvote 0

Silmaek

Level 1
Apr 10, 2018
After reinstalling , some or all of the data saved on the computer will be deleted from your computer,It's dangerous, you can login your local account to access your computer , and you can change or delete the Microsoft account from your Windows 10 ,
It's not as complicated as you might think. you don't need to reinstall for your computer or use other account , There is a very simple way to do this. that's what i got from my colleagues .

Upvote 0

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
And it takes only 5 mins. Boot WinUSB, open CMD, overwrite utilman with CMD, boot Windows, change password.

copy /y c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe c:\windows\system32\utilman.exe
net user username password

In case of MS account, enable admin account. * will trigger a password prompt, so you can choose your own.
Code:
net user Administrator /active:yes
net user Administrator *

Upvote 0

Silmaek

Level 1
Apr 10, 2018
The CMD is great , but it is only works for people who are familiar with computer technology.
My colleagues recommended this method to me, but because I have never encountered a similar problem with you, I don't know whether it is useful or not, I am looking forward to your reply.

Upvote 0

bassspoo

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 21, 2018
My colleagues recommended this method to me, but because I have never encountered a similar problem with you, I don't know whether it is useful or not, I am looking forward to your reply.

Thanks for the suggestion. I am checking it out

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.