Latest version
Version 1.14.0
Released Aug 2, 2019 - 707.62 KB

Adds protection against malicious JavaScript
Netcraft.jpg

oldschool

Level 38
Verified
But I don't think uBlock Origin does the same thing. I have been using uBlock Origin for a long time, and it blocks ads and bad sites, but as far as I can tell, it does not block 3rd party javascript on good sites.
I believe it’s all or none js blocking in uBO. Sorry, I’m posting from iPad till Monday or Tues. so I can’t check. NoScript does it. I’d go with Netcraft.

Last edited:
Reactions: shmu26 and venustus

Azure

Level 24
Verified
Content Creator
But I don't think uBlock Origin does the same thing. I have been using uBlock Origin for a long time, and it blocks ads and bad sites, but as far as I can tell, it does not block 3rd party javascript on good sites.
You need to enable dynamic filtering by checking that you are an advanced user.

shmu26

Level 83
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
Netcraft v.1.14.0 now available in Chrome-Web-Store:

What's new in version 1.14.0?
• Adds protection against malicious JavaScript

View attachment 218314
So now we don't need NoScript or its alternatives?
This seems like a much more user-friendly way to protect against scripts. But I wonder how effective it is?

TairikuOkami

Level 24
Verified
Content Creator
NoScript is better for sure. Netcraft seems to act like AV with signatures, though the description sounds confident: Blocking "ALL" malicious scripts.

Protection against known malicious JavaScript.

The extension detects JavaScript that we have identified as being malicious, blocks pages that use it from loading, and automatically reports them to Netcraft to protect the rest of the community. This helps prevent your credit card details from being stolen by shopping site skimmers or your computer's processing power being harvested by web miners.
The description suggests, that it acts as a cloud, but I can not image, how exactly would it be able to analyze the malicious script?
Unless there is a filter list, which could be used in other extensions, I guess they simply block scripts, that contain phishing urls?

silversurfer

Level 53
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
This seems like a much more user-friendly way to protect against scripts. But I wonder how effective it is?
Netcraft probably scans for malicious scripts like AVs, but uBlock-Origin & uMatrix are able to block all scripts or even only 3rd-party scripts,
that offers better protection but isn't user-friendly like you said...