New Update Netcraft Anti-Phishing Extension for Firefox Updated - Adds protection against malicious JavaScript

Stas

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 21, 2015
Netcraft Anti-Phishing Extension for Firefox updated today
Latest version
Version 1.14.0
Released Aug 2, 2019 - 707.62 KB

Adds protection against malicious JavaScript
Netcraft.jpg

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
Thanks that's interesting, XSS, skimmer and scripts protection, hope they will update the chrome extension soon.
The chrome version already states
"Protection against cross site scripting (XSS) — The extension optionally traps XSS and other suspicious URLs which contain characters highly likely to deceive. "

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
The chrome version already states
"Protection against cross site scripting (XSS) — The extension optionally traps XSS and other suspicious URLs which contain characters highly likely to deceive. "
Correct, it has XSS protection but no skimmer, miner and script protection. The last update for the chrome version was on januari the 15th 2019.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
What is the go-to Chrome extension for script protection? I am using uMatrix, but I don't think that is what most people are using.

Depending on how you use it you are well covered. I haven’t had success figuring out the matrix UI. It kind of boggles my mind, even though I understand the basic principle behind it.

Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Depending on how you use it you are well covered. I haven’t had success figuring out the matrix UI. It kind of boggles my mind, even though I understand the basic principal behind it.
It is not the easiest interface, to be sure.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
But I don't think uBlock Origin does the same thing. I have been using uBlock Origin for a long time, and it blocks ads and bad sites, but as far as I can tell, it does not block 3rd party javascript on good sites.

I believe it’s all or none js blocking in uBO. Sorry, I’m posting from iPad till Monday or Tues. so I can’t check. NoScript does it. I’d go with Netcraft.

Last edited:
Reactions: shmu26 and Venustus

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
But I don't think uBlock Origin does the same thing. I have been using uBlock Origin for a long time, and it blocks ads and bad sites, but as far as I can tell, it does not block 3rd party javascript on good sites.
uBlock Origin is able to block 3rd party-scripts, just enable "advanced-user-settings"

uBo#1.png

uBo.png

Last edited:

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
You need to enable dynamic filtering by checking that you are an advanced user.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Netcraft v.1.14.0 now available in Chrome-Web-Store:

What's new in version 1.14.0?
• Adds protection against malicious JavaScript

NC.png

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Netcraft v.1.14.0 now available in Chrome-Web-Store:

What's new in version 1.14.0?
• Adds protection against malicious JavaScript

View attachment 218314
So now we don't need NoScript or its alternatives?
This seems like a much more user-friendly way to protect against scripts. But I wonder how effective it is?

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
NoScript is better for sure. Netcraft seems to act like AV with signatures, though the description sounds confident: Blocking "ALL" malicious scripts.

Protection against known malicious JavaScript.

The extension detects JavaScript that we have identified as being malicious, blocks pages that use it from loading, and automatically reports them to Netcraft to protect the rest of the community. This helps prevent your credit card details from being stolen by shopping site skimmers or your computer's processing power being harvested by web miners.
The description suggests, that it acts as a cloud, but I can not image, how exactly would it be able to analyze the malicious script?
Unless there is a filter list, which could be used in other extensions, I guess they simply block scripts, that contain phishing urls?

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
This seems like a much more user-friendly way to protect against scripts. But I wonder how effective it is?
Netcraft probably scans for malicious scripts like AVs, but uBlock-Origin & uMatrix are able to block all scripts or even only 3rd-party scripts,
that offers better protection but isn't user-friendly like you said...

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.