Honorary Member
Content Creator
Oct 25, 2014
Hi all

New Avast version 20.3.2405

Hi, new Avast version 20.3 is here
(20.3.2405)

These are the official program release notes:
✓ New alerts - Get alerted when new devices join your network (Useful for catching both hackers and freeloading neighbors)
✓ More privacy - You now have the option to be protected from shady websites even in browsers that use the DoH protocol to encrypt the Domain Name System (DNS). Premium Security users can turn this on in their Real Site settings
✓ Improved Wi-Fi Inspector - We've updated your Wi-Fi Inspector so that it's a lot more stable

How to install:

1. Update from your existing Avast version via Settings -> Update -> Update program

2. Or you can download and install from here:

Online installers (recommended):
Free: https://bits.avcdn.net/insttype_FREE
Premium Security (formerly Premier): https://bits.avcdn.net/insttype_APR

Offline installers:
Free: http://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avast_free_antivirus_setup_offline.exe
Premium Security (formerly Premier): http://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avast_premier_antivirus_setup_offline.exe

We hope you enjoy the new version!
AVAST Team

With best Regards
Mops21

Mops21

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Content Creator
Oct 25, 2014
Hi all

New Avast version 20.4.2406.0

Hi everyone,

I`m glad to announce that new beta version is ready - 20.4.2406 (build 20.4.5226).

What's new
Smart Scan - new updated library for scanning performance issues
internal improvements
Improved logging of license operations so we know what triggers specific operations.
new features will come in next betas

What was fixed
Rescue Disk: unable to install CRT
couple of minor crashes

Known issues
After clicking on update button in some cases UI is not showing the progress
After edition upgrade UI toaster might not disappear sometimes
Global exception not working for websites upon installation, restart is required

Download links
Avast free https://bits.avcdn.net/productfamily_ANTIVIRUS/insttype_FREE/platform_WIN/installertype_ONLINE/build_BETA
Avast premium https://bits.avcdn.net/productfamily_ANTIVIRUS/insttype_APR/platform_WIN/installertype_ONLINE/build_BETA

Enjoy this beta!
Modify message

With best Regards
Mops21

Bryan320

Level 8
Oct 11, 2019
Considering they are the same product....... I just don't get why avast continues to have 2 products they should have killed AVG long ago and just focused on one product...

Reactions: Gandalf_The_Grey

DSD27

Level 5
Well-known
Apr 15, 2020
Considering they are the same product....... I just don't get why avast continues to have 2 products they should have killed AVG long ago and just focused on one product...
That has already been discussed several times around here. The product is the same, they just copy it so it doesn't really affect their focus.
It's all about market strategy, AVG has a huge userbase and a name is big as Avast, very well known, they can take advantage of that.
Then, considering the average person isn't aware that they're owned by the same company or any of that stuff, when a person gets issues with one, they can migrate to the other ;) And idk, they probably have more reasons.
The free versions aren't the same though... AVG Free has a File Shredder, which is premium on Avast. But Avast has the others, like Password Manager and the Network Inspector.

Last edited:

Eggnog

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Mar 21, 2018
At the time I think one of them, maybe AVG, had a bigger userbase and name recognition in North America, where the other one, probably Avast, had a bigger userbase and name recognition in Europe. I remember being a bit surprised at how many AVG users there were. They didn't want to alienate anyone. It was something along those lines, anyway. It was posted by the company right after the acquisition when people were asking about it. I don't remember where, though.

Reactions: DSD27

DSD27

Level 5
Well-known
Apr 15, 2020
At the time I think one of them, maybe AVG, had a bigger userbase and name recognition in North America, where the other one, probably Avast, had a bigger userbase and name recognition in Europe. I remember being a bit surprised at how many AVG users there were. They didn't want to alienate anyone. It was something along those lines, anyway. It was posted by the company right after the acquisition when people were asking about it. I don't remember where, though.
They are very known, looking at their Facebook likes, not much difference. I had AVG back in 2008 on my first rig... good memories.

bayasdev

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 10, 2015
I miss those old times when you went to a cibercafé and that female voice saying the virus database has been updated popped up from all the PCs at the same time. BTW Avast still has a large userbase in South America, unironically many people used to download a crack instead of registering with your email to access the free version.

Mops21

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Content Creator
Oct 25, 2014
Hi all

New Avast version 20.4.2410

Hi all, please welcome Avast 20.4, hope you'd like it.

Here's what new officially:

Safer web browsing - Web Shield can now block malicious sites based on their site certificates
  • Improved support - Our support team can now help you send them logs to diagnose problems.

One teaser for our dedicated forum users: Botnet protection - Web Shield can also block all connectiions to malicious servers. Functionality is in test mode for this release, expected to be full-scaled by the upcoming release.

Some other fixes:
  • Avast Firewall is now compatible with Microsoft Wireless Display adapter
  • Sleep mode works with the latest Windows Spring 2020 Update
  • Behavioral shield improvements
  • Better internal tracking of license activation errors in order to improve the activation process
  • Switching Free to Paid (and back) is now smoother
  • URL exclusions security improvements
  • ...and dozens of the usual minor crashes and internal stability improvements

How to install:

1. Update from your existing Avast version via Settings -> Update -> Update program
2. Or you can download and install files:

Online installers (recommended):
Offline installers:
AVAST Team

With best Regards
Mops21

tipo

Level 8
Well-known
Jul 26, 2012
AVAST Team

With best Regards
Mops21

i would enjoy the software if they wouldn`t ad scareware (your system needs attention, your system is not protected, your system is exposed), it they wouldn`t add the whole protection suits in the free version- i want the free version. PERIOD! i don`t want to see in the UI all the options/shields that are in the security suite, i would like to see a cleaner UI etc. i really miss the `15-`16 avast, even the earlier versions. my 2 cents.

Reactions: plat and Nagisa

blueblackwow65

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Dec 19, 2012
Hi in the free version can we install only file detection and web modules? If so does anyone know the ram usage?Thks

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Hi in the free version can we install only file detection and web modules? If so does anyone know the ram usage?Thks
Yes. Overall RAM and resource usage may vary based on your own hardware and software configuration.

Choose Minimal Protection during set-up - these include the File, Behaviour and Web Shield. Components can also be add/remove via Menu > Settings > General > Troubleshooting.
1591720831874.png

Placeholder icons with a padlock are visible but cannot be activated without a valid license.
1591721203192.png

If you are concerned by sharing personal data, you can turn these off. Menu > Settings > General > Personal Privacy.
1591721404245.png

Task Manager for VM running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit V2004, 4GB RAM, 50GB VHD.
1591721756766.png

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.