Mops21

Level 28
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
Hi all

New Avast version 20.4.2406.0

Hi everyone,

I`m glad to announce that new beta version is ready - 20.4.2406 (build 20.4.5226).

What's new
Smart Scan - new updated library for scanning performance issues
internal improvements
Improved logging of license operations so we know what triggers specific operations.
new features will come in next betas

What was fixed
Rescue Disk: unable to install CRT
couple of minor crashes

Known issues
After clicking on update button in some cases UI is not showing the progress
After edition upgrade UI toaster might not disappear sometimes
Global exception not working for websites upon installation, restart is required

Download links
Avast free https://bits.avcdn.net/productfamily_ANTIVIRUS/insttype_FREE/platform_WIN/installertype_ONLINE/build_BETA
Avast premium https://bits.avcdn.net/productfamily_ANTIVIRUS/insttype_APR/platform_WIN/installertype_ONLINE/build_BETA

Enjoy this beta!
Modify message

With best Regards
Mops21

Bryan320

Level 4
Considering they are the same product....... I just don't get why avast continues to have 2 products they should have killed AVG long ago and just focused on one product...

DSD27

Level 5
Considering they are the same product....... I just don't get why avast continues to have 2 products they should have killed AVG long ago and just focused on one product...
That has already been discussed several times around here. The product is the same, they just copy it so it doesn't really affect their focus.
It's all about market strategy, AVG has a huge userbase and a name is big as Avast, very well known, they can take advantage of that.
Then, considering the average person isn't aware that they're owned by the same company or any of that stuff, when a person gets issues with one, they can migrate to the other ;) And idk, they probably have more reasons.
The free versions aren't the same though... AVG Free has a File Shredder, which is premium on Avast. But Avast has the others, like Password Manager and the Network Inspector.

Last edited:

Eggnog

Level 1
At the time I think one of them, maybe AVG, had a bigger userbase and name recognition in North America, where the other one, probably Avast, had a bigger userbase and name recognition in Europe. I remember being a bit surprised at how many AVG users there were. They didn't want to alienate anyone. It was something along those lines, anyway. It was posted by the company right after the acquisition when people were asking about it. I don't remember where, though.

DSD27

Level 5
At the time I think one of them, maybe AVG, had a bigger userbase and name recognition in North America, where the other one, probably Avast, had a bigger userbase and name recognition in Europe. I remember being a bit surprised at how many AVG users there were. They didn't want to alienate anyone. It was something along those lines, anyway. It was posted by the company right after the acquisition when people were asking about it. I don't remember where, though.
They are very known, looking at their Facebook likes, not much difference. I had AVG back in 2008 on my first rig... good memories.

geminis3

Level 11
Verified
Malware Tester
I miss those old times when you went to a cibercafé and that female voice saying the virus database has been updated popped up from all the PCs at the same time. BTW Avast still has a large userbase in South America, unironically many people used to download a crack instead of registering with your email to access the free version.