Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Bing Desktop can be installed on PC’s running the U.S. English version of Windows 7. After installation, a Bing taskbar icon can be used to bring up a search bar on the desktop. Searches will open results in the computer’s default browser. The search bar can alternatively be pinned to the top of the screen, where it will slide out of view until a mouse-click at the top of the screen brings it back out. Also, the desktop image may not always match the Bing homepage image due to licensing issues.

If you use the Bing search engine and are a fan of their undeniably beautiful homepage images, Bing Desktop might be perfect for you. On the other hand, it doesn’t do much except put a search bar on your desktop and rotate your wallpaper. Google decided late last year that their Google Desktop application was no longer relevant, and promptly killed it. Google Desktop was similar to the Bing Desktop, with the addition of local file search.

Source

Bing Desktop

Bing Desktop delivers the beauty of the Bing homepage to your Windows desktop each day. Plus, get easy access to the Bing search box right from your desktop. Turn your searching into doing with Bing.

Download

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
RE: New 'Bing Desktop' for Windows 7 US

I got the update and I'm in the UK. :S

qWLSI.png

It's nothing great.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well there is no more a big deal since its in a optional update unless you are willing to install it. ;)

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
I could skip on this as for I use Google. Thanks.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
WinAndLinuxTutorials said:
Very soon we may see different search engines delivering these features :D

Not really.

"Google decided late last year that their Google Desktop application was no longer relevant, and promptly killed it. Google Desktop was similar to the Bing Desktop, with the addition of local file search"

I think this is for the unsuspecting Windows user (and others), who install all optional updates.

It'll change your IE settings to Bing/MSN pages, as well as change your Desktop wallpaper. You can have the Bing Search in the centre on the screen, or at the top.

This reminded me of Launchy.

V

Vextor

DDG, FTW. Getting used to the bang syntax now. Bing Desktop is just another needless advert for the Bing Search Engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.