Battle New challenge: 5 paid Internet Security Suites

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edward ST

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Jan 16, 2013
I launched a new challenge: 5 paid Internet Security Suites: Bitdefender Internet Security, Kaspersky Internet Security, Norton Internet Security, F-Secure Internet Security, G Data Internet Security and Avast Internet Security.

NOTE: All the suites are on the last version - 2013.
Thanks for all the votes and replies!

3link9

Level 5
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
I choose NIS and Kaspersky.
But Ill give my top IS Suites:
1. Norton IS
2. Kaspersky IS
3. Emsisoft IS
4. Comodo IS v5.12
5. Trend Micro TIS

Bitdefender, Avast, and Comodo V6 gave me to many Tech problems and I was never a fan of Eset.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I chose KIS 2013 because that is the only one listed that I use.

Is it just me or does it seem like we are beating a dead horse with another poll that is the same as 20 other ones just rearranged and reworded.Maybe change it up like who has the coolest interface or what's your favorite color or should exterminator20 shut up and stay out of the war room. :p

P

Plexx

exterminator20 said:
I chose KIS 2013 because that is the only one listed that I use.

Is it just me or does it seem like we are beating a dead horse with another poll that is the same as 20 other ones just rearranged and reworded.Maybe change it up like who has the coolest interface or what's your favorite color or should exterminator20 shut up and stay out of the war room. :p

This is what can be called Dejavu. Welcome to the club!

Get a bud from the fridge, sit down on the couch here at the war room lounge. There are more Dejavu's to come dude!

I

illumination

Heavy on systems with limited resources:
BitDefender Internet Security 2013
Kaspersky Internet Security 2013
G Data Internet Security 2013

Lighter on systems with limited resources:
Norton Internet Security 2013
Avast Internet Security 2013
Eset Smart Security

Said to be light but use a lot of ram on occasion:
Trend Micro Internet Security

Can be tweaked to the point of substantial benefits:
Kaspersky Internet Security 2013
Norton Internet Security 2013
Eset Smart Security

It really depends on your system, your uses, and your knowledge to which one would chose.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
I voted for none, since I hate security suites.

I would rather mix my own setup, but if I decided to use a security suite, I would not a a paid product. I believe it is non-sense paying for security products when there are so many freeware options available.

ZoneAlarm Free Antivirus + Firewall would be my first choice if I used a security suite because it has a very user friendly firewall with cloud protection, behavior blocking and Kaspersky AV engine which is really good. Also very light on the system response time.

Enjoy!!:D

bug_in_amber

Jan 21, 2013
My favorites (not arranged)

BitDefender Internet Security 2013
+ Great malware detection rates
+ Average tweaking power (except the disadvantage of missing interactive malware control)
+ Reasonably on system resources
+ Having fun with Intrusion Detection System
- A little bit buggy

Norton Internet Security
+ Remarkable SONAR, Cloud, Reputation detection systems
+ Pulse Updates
- False positives due to reputation scan
- Fully automatic
- Neglected firewall
- Useless HIPS

ESET Smart Security
+ Unique and accurate heuristics
+ Few false positives
+ Clean interface
+ Low on system resources
+ Tweakable options
- Accurate but sometimes not so good detection
- Immature HIPS - many questions, no white list
- Zero possibility to communicate with ESET about products construction

Kasperksy Internet Security
+ Massive malware detection
+ Fast responce to new samples
+ Kaspersky Network
+ Customizable
+ May be the best integrated HIPS
- a little bit heavy on system resources
- slow update process
- imperfect bug polishing of new versions released

Comodo Internet Security 6
+ Remarkable HIPS and Firewall
+ Auto-Sandbox
+ Less pop-ups
+ Customizable HIPS, Sandbox, Antivirus
+ Very light on system resources
+ Interesting and useful tools integrated - KillSwitch, Cleaning Essentials
+ New but sufficient Antivirus with cloud scanning
- Antivirus missing many samples
- Many false possitives
(-) I've experienced some troubles with this suite. My internet connection dramatically slowed down, tray icon did not appeared all times and update function did not working

Raul90

Level 14
Feb 5, 2012
I voted for KIS 2013. I had the chance to try out Eset Smart Security v5 / Avast Internet Security /Avira Internet Security(not inlcuded) and I'd always choose the one that has less issues with me(according to my use). Only thing that I don't like with KIS 2013 is the issue with the startup/shutdown which is still unresolved. Other than that it's okay.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Littlebits said:
House_maniac said:
comodo internet security suite :)

CIS is FREE, this thread is for paid security suites.

Thanks.:D
Also all those who post in this forum (and thread)... might want to give some good reasons why they have chosen product A over B....

PS. @Littlebits I do think Comodo has a paid suite, Internet Security 2013 (20$)....but I doubt they ever sold a single one!

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Mike M said:
I voted for Kaspersky internet security. Have been using for several years now and never had a problem.
I have used this product for 90 days (trial) ...and while it offers some good features, however it has an old and annoying issue.
On less powerful computers, on default settings, and when multi tasking.. Kaspersky Internet Security 2013 can have a noticable impact. CPU spikes and system slow down, while less visible, they are still present in KIS 2013.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
House_maniac said:
comodo internet security suite :)
A very good suite, however it has its cons... It's not very user-friendly, and can be a little overwhelming for a newbie.
Lets start with the user interface!
[attachment=3279]
1.Notice something missing??Well, I can tell you that when I first install a suite, I like to go into its settings... Do you see anywhere a Settings button? I surely didn't .... and it took me a few minutes before realizing that I should click on that green arrow, to get more options.
It's not something major, but it's not the most easy to use interface.

2. When you install a less known program, Comodo behavior blocker will prompt you with the following:
[attachment=3280]
In this case, I was trying to install Miro ( a less known software) , and for a newbie, this prompt can be a little too much.Please note that, if I want to install this program, I will need to click Run Unlimited , as running it with limited priviliges will not work.

3.When detecting an infection CIS will first display the following prompt:
[attachment=3281]
And only after you'll click on "No, I will try it to clean it myself", you'll get the detection window.
[attachment=3282]
I find it funny, that I never had to "clean it myself" ,and in fact COMODO removed the infection on it own, without any help.

All of the above are nothing major when compared with the possitive aspects, still just a few points on why COMODO might not be the best suite.

Attachments

• cis-1.jpg
    cis-1.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 410
  • cis-4.jpg
    cis-4.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 367
  • cis-2.jpg
    cis-2.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 422
  • cis-3.jpg
    cis-3.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 372

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
PauloXBR said:
Webroot SecureAnywhere + Malwarebytes Pró

If Webroot SecureAnywhere is a good paid suite, why do you need Malwarebytes?
If Malwarebytes PRO is such a good product, why do you need Webroot SecureAnywhere? :p

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
That Comodo GeekBuddy pop-up is very misleading and personally I consider it a scare-tactic.

Jack said:
And only after you'll click on "No, I will try it to clean it myself", you'll get the detection window.

I find it funny, that I never had to "clean it myself" ,and in fact COMODO removed the infection on it own, without any help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.