Petrovic

Level 64
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 25, 2013
researchers have found and analyzed a new piece of crypto-ransomware: CryptVault encrypts files, makes them look like files quarantined by an AV solution, asks for ransom and, finally, downloads info-stealer malware.

It arrives on target computers after the user has been tricked into downloading and running a malicious attachment - a Javascript file - that downloads four files: the ransomware itself, SDelete (a MS Sysinternals tool that will be used to delete files), GnuPG (legitimate open source encryption tool), and a GnuPG library file.

Full Article

StriderHunterX

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 10, 2015
This is getting scary by the day.I wanted to create a topic about TeslaCrypt(I have not seen a topic about it here) and my experience with it...

It was not good at all.ECC files everywhere....with no hope of unlocking them.:(:eek:

Backups and Images are becoming more crucial than ever.

Reactions: tallorder

tallorder

Level 6
Verified
Jan 15, 2015
So are 'how to's' about exactly how to use the back up tools out there. As a novice, I was thwarted at option 1, and have yet to do any.

soccer97

Level 11
Verified
May 22, 2014
Have we thought about using Group Policy (gpedit.msc) to prevent installations in certain directories? This of course can have it's drawbacks as it may sometimes prevent legitimate software being installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.