New Edge: google browsing and microsoft smartscreen?

Protomartyr

Level 7
Sep 23, 2019
You bring up a good point and I've tried seeing if there's any documentation that states that Chromium Edge also includes Google's Safe Browsing, but the only thing I could find was a small mention in this gHacks article back in April:
Chrome and most Chromium-based browsers use Google's Safe Browsing security feature for security. Microsoft Edge will use Microsoft's Windows Defender SmartScreen security feature instead.

Bryan320

Level 8
Oct 11, 2019
Wait so we are actually getting less security with the new Edge browser? If that's the case Microsoft really should incorporate it's download protection into the actual product which they should have already done by now... I do believe this should have been done long ago....

bjm_

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 17, 2015
I would say that Chrome still offers better protection since you can use Safe Browsing along with the Windows Defender Browser Protection extension.
Microsoft Defender SmartScreen + Windows Defender Browser Protection extension....if ya' want.
png_3920.png

Last edited:

Tiamati

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
I found an article from ghacks that points what Edge removed from chromium and they removed safe browsing indeed (#7 here). I thought they would keep both.

Microsoft Defender SmartScreen + Windows Defender Browser Protection extension....if ya' want.

The problem with that "combo" is that Windows Defender Browser Protection extension is currently restricted to USA area. I could use it, but i guess it would only be effective if i kept visiting USA sites only.

1579237522995.png

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
If you want some form of Google Safe Browsing in the new Edge, use the AdGuard (extension or desktop):
Then you have both MS SmartScreen and Google Safe Browsing.

Peter247

Level 1
Jan 3, 2020
I just got a prompt to download the Microsoft Chromium Edge Browser which was released on January 15, this year 2020.

I downloaded it already and because I like trying out new things, I'm planning on installing it:)

But before that, has anyone here tried it yet? Is it better than Google Chrome? And most importantly, does it freeze from time to time and slow down my already "trying to be fast" PC?

Reactions: Tiamati

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I just got a prompt to download the Microsoft Chromium Edge Browser which was released on January 15, this year 2020.

I downloaded it already and because I like trying out new things, I'm planning on installing it:)

But before that, has anyone here tried it yet? Is it better than Google Chrome? And most importantly, does it freeze from time to time and slow down my already "trying to be fast" PC?
Personally loving it and using it since the first dev vesion.
More info here:
And here:

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

Better, Faster but lacks some sync options Chrome has (for now, but it is planned); if it wasn't for that i would remove Chrome long time ago.
Chrome never froze with me, and ChromEdge neither.
P.S: i use the dev version.

razorfancy

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Nov 27, 2016
The new chromium Edge is using both: google safe browsing and microsoft smartscreen at the same time?
If so, it seems we have a new champion in terms of pure browser security isn't?
Personally I really dont care if Edge Chromium has both google safe browsing and microsoft smartscreen or just the microsoft smartscreen because most of the AVs in the market have their own web protection module but if you are using Windows Defender as your AV and you want additional web protection, I recommend you to install(via Google Chrome Store) the Avira Browser Safety extension in your Edge Chromium.

Last edited:

Peter247

Level 1
Jan 3, 2020
Personally loving it and using it since the first dev vesion.
More info here:
And here:
I just downloaded it not long ago, and finally, I get to uninstall Chrome from my PC 😇

bjm_

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 17, 2015
The problem with that "combo" is that Windows Defender Browser Protection extension is currently restricted to USA area. I could use it, but i guess it would only be effective if i kept visiting USA sites only.

View attachment 232324
Oh. Okay. I hadn't noticed supported regions.
So, supported regions refers to web filter scope ....not region where extension is offered?
Thanks

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.