Advice Request New Emsisoft Anti-Malware 2018.8 GUI feedback

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fabian Wosar

From Emsisoft
Thread author
Verified
Developer
Well-known
Jun 29, 2014
Hello everyone,

I am sure that those who use the beta update tree of our software noticed that we just rolled out a new beta build of the upcoming 2018.8 version of Emsisoft Anti-Malware. The biggest visible change is the finished revamped of the UI. For those who don't want to venture into the beta tree, here is a first screenshot:

1535568019293.png

There are still some minor things that are going to change. To be more specific:
  • Localisation doesn't work properly in some cases, this will be fixed in the next beta
  • There are also some dead links to older websites like isthisfilesafe.com that have been discontinued
  • Dark mode isn't included yet and most likely will not make it into this months release unfortunately
But what do you think so far? Do you hate it? Do you like it? Would you preferred some stuff would be moved into different menus? Feel free to post your honest feedback. :)

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
What is the point in having a huge setting button on the main gui that offer nothing and you can access it from the left panel? I can accept the logs one that shows me the amount of malware detected (i wouldn't have it there either ideally) but if you are not trying to boost sales to old people houses then you can lose the huge setting button.
Rest seem fair and clean but nothing groundbreaking from old gui. Just someone using the metro style design with the left tab.

rsonic

Level 2
Verified
Jul 25, 2018
Yeah, it's certainly based on Windows 10, which is good, I like uniformity. Also agree on the "Settings", in two places, and a BIG button that just leads to the same menu. Perhaps instead of removing the button put some useful shortcuts to settings below it, like Protection and Scan tabs.

Harputlu

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Dec 26, 2016
Hello everyone,

I am sure that those who use the beta update tree of our software noticed that we just rolled out a new beta build of the upcoming 2018.8 version of Emsisoft Anti-Malware. The biggest visible change is the finished revamped of the UI. For those who don't want to venture into the beta tree, here is a first screenshot:

View attachment 196865

There are still some minor things that are going to change. To be more specific:
  • Localisation doesn't work properly in some cases, this will be fixed in the next beta
  • There are also some dead links to older websites like isthisfilesafe.com that have been discontinued
  • Dark mode isn't included yet and most likely will not make it into this months release unfortunately
But what do you think so far? Do you hate it? Do you like it? Would you preferred some stuff would be moved into different menus? Feel free to post your honest feedback. :)
Hi, fabian. My attention was drawn to the remaining license day :)))
If you want, you can send me the license. Thank you

D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

Honest opinion? It's becoming more like a Bitdefender with each UI update. Same story with the mobile application. Don't like it. Imo Emsisoft should drop Bitdefender engine and relay totally up on their own + BB to show if they can still compete. My expectations were just too high, I thought Emsisoft was unique company, not "rebrand" of other product. (5+ years paid customer)

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Honest opinion? It's becoming more like a Bitdefender with each UI update. Same story with the mobile application. Don't like it. Imo Emsisoft should drop Bitdefender engine and relay totally up on their own + BB to show if they can still compete. My expectations were just too high, I thought Emsisoft was unique company, not "rebrand" of other product. (5+ years paid customer)

Emsisoft mobile edition IS Bit Defender, it's literally the exact same product with just Emsisoft name tacked on.

As for their own engine, virtually impossible to keep it relevant with the resources they have so it's an adjunct probably forever. Emsisoft strengths IMO are it's BB and TLD blocking and it's seemingly lighter than Bit Defender.

But otherwise, it's 10 times more expensive as a boutique offering, and they do not offer any sort of 10 PC family pack, combo license packs (mobile+PC), or effective sales. All of which I think greatly hinder it. Even G-Data now offers a 5+5 pack (but still lacks a bulk family pack). I used to support and recommend Emsisoft - for many years - to friends/family. But those same people I recommended it to back in the day when most people had 1 PC/laptop, now have 2, 3, even 4 devices EACH. Emsisoft needs to step into 2018 in terms of licensing arranges and pricing - IMO

MeltdownEnemy

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2018
They have made such a radical change, and for the same reason in 2018 they made me flee leaving only the feathers.

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
You are trying to match Windows UI but the minimize, maximize and close buttons don't match at all.
I don't know why this UI change is necessary.

Reactions: ForgottenSeer 72227

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
Emsisoft mobile edition IS Bit Defender, it's literally the exact same product with just Emsisoft name tacked on.

As for their own engine, virtually impossible to keep it relevant with the resources they have so it's an adjunct probably forever. Emsisoft strengths IMO are it's BB and TLD blocking and it's seemingly lighter than Bit Defender.

But otherwise, it's 10 times more expensive as a boutique offering, and they do not offer any sort of 10 PC family pack, combo license packs (mobile+PC), or effective sales. All of which I think greatly hinder it. Even G-Data now offers a 5+5 pack (but still lacks a bulk family pack). I used to support and recommend Emsisoft - for many years - to friends/family. But those same people I recommended it to back in the day when most people had 1 PC/laptop, now have 2, 3, even 4 devices EACH. Emsisoft needs to step into 2018 in terms of licensing arranges and pricing - IMO
Yes as per the price it is ridicously high..rest i ECHO you
However they seem to be heavily dependent on Bit defender for signatures..as like F secure i see very very little detection from their own engine..HUGE PRICE is a heavy drop for its Sales which i echoed many times here..) Hope they will:giggle:

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
However they seem to be heavily dependent on Bit defender for signatures..as like F secure i see very very little detection from their own engine..HUGE PRICE is a heavy drop for its Sales which i echoed many times here..) Hope they will:giggle:
They try to prevent duplicate detections in their own engine.

Emsisoft AM Engine No: 1 dones't work

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
Does this mean if a high sophiscated malware slips BD eyes..then even Emsi engine leaves it ? Can we take it for granted ?
I know their PUP detection is quite good..is their own engine thorOughly focuses on PUP ?
If something happens that both engines can't detect, then the behavior blocker is there to detect it.

Reactions: Mahesh Sudula
D

Deleted member 178

However they seem to be heavily dependent on Bit defender for signatures..as like F secure i see very very little detection from their own engine..
Emsisoft's engine focuses against new threats (0-days) and PUPs. When Bit Defender update their signature database and duplicate a signature that Emsi engine has , Emsi remove it from their in-house engine to diminish the load.

So basically, new threats are handled by Emsisoft engine, older one by BD; unless BD get a signature that Emsi doesn't.

Terry Ganzi

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2014

I couldn't agree with you more and what frustrates me is that when i first bought Emsisoft which was more than six yr's ago, it was a lion beginners had controls to set they didn't care about, an advance users made the most of them but now in 2018 we have the same lion but it's teeth is gone, perfect example bitdefender free reminds me at the moment of emsisoft, hardly any controls, it make me feel like they are catering this product to children.
Bitdefender Internet Security give users more say or control than Emsisoft, then alone comes a person and say it's a small company, i've been hearing that for years, small companies grow so why is Emsisoft stagnant or have in miget, it baffles me, they say don't judge a book by its cover, but this book changes covers every yr but the content is getting sappy and I mean no disrespect, as a long time user i'm getting frustrated and tired, companies want money but aren't delivering and most people don't seem to care, I care so do something before it's to late. They got the rid of Online Amour then Emsisoft Internet Security, now they are saying modern windows users doesn't need a 3rd party firewall and any person that is observant knows that this comes at a price of dilution.
Look around you these times are changing fast any person that know the old Emsisoft & Online Amour wasn't
throwing it away to buy this, this diluted new product was force upon us, the gullible drank it and loyalist renewed
I'm a loyalist but my money over rewards is tell me time is short.
The pill that everyone wants but can't seem to swallow,(Truth)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 178

There was a simple reason why Emsisoft change its stance:

1- Security geeks are a niche.
2- geek tools doesn't afford good incomes, geeks tools can't even pay their own development.
3- complicated tools = rain of support tickets = more resources spent on employees = more expenses = less net incomes = ruined company.
4- Average Joe pay more than geeks.
5- Average Joe see geek tools, they want try them, and expect geek tools to be sentient and auto-configurable, so Average Joe can't handle geek tools, so they spam support team.
6- Average Joe want a set & forget security tool, they will pay for them as long as they don't have to scratch their head configuring it.
7- simplified tools = happy Average Joe = less support = less expenses for the company.

More and more companies simplify their softs, BD , kaspersky, etc... unlike Emsisoft they have a huge user-base and can afford to develop free simplified version and also more complicated one (like suites), not saying they have bigger support team and refunds won't give them headaches.

Last edited by a moderator:

ichito

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
More and more companies simplify their softs, BD , kaspersky, etc... unlike Emsisoft they have a huge user-base and can afford to develop free simplified version and also more complicated one (like suites), not saying they have bigger support team and refunds won't give them headaches.
It means that lazy/unaware/inexperienced user will pay for everything what developer want to give him. It's enough show such people "armagedon of malwares", scary them and than...according to marketing art...show the solution..."tadah...our is the best on the world...you can do nothing but you have to pay"

Fabian Wosar

From Emsisoft
Thread author
Verified
Developer
Well-known
Jun 29, 2014
What is the point in having a huge setting button on the main gui that offer nothing and you can access it from the left panel? I can accept the logs one that shows me the amount of malware detected (i wouldn't have it there either ideally) but if you are not trying to boost sales to old people houses then you can lose the huge setting button.
The majority of our customers is over 60. That being said, I agree. What would you like to see in its place or how do you think the settings button could be made more useful? Would adding shortcuts to specific sections do the trick?

Same story with the mobile application. Don't like it.
The mobile version is literally a rebrand of the Bitdefender product. So that is kinda expected.

Imo Emsisoft should drop Bitdefender engine and relay totally up on their own + BB to show if they can still compete. My expectations were just too high, I thought Emsisoft was unique company, not "rebrand" of other product. (5+ years paid customer)
It's something worth considering. There are a few issues though. First of all, while we can discuss whether or not AV tests are useful, the economic reality is that they are important for sales. While the majority of AV tests do include a vast variety of real world scenarios these days, they unfortunately usually have at least one old "on-demand" test as part of their testing series which doesn't work well in a product that focuses on only real world scenarios. It's the reason why certain products simply refuse to be tested.
The other issue is that a lot of our users are very privacy conscious. Doubling down on our own technologies will mean that we ultimately have to become more invasive when it comes to telemetry and the data we collect on our users' systems, which would include reporting of files we haven't seen before, automated file submissions, collection of behaviour data of all the applications running as well as much more frequent cloud checks. While this isn't anything other products including Windows Defender already do, it may not jive particularly well with our current customer base.
That being said, there are some major things in the pipeline to restructure our product lineup and also some major technology changes of how EAM works.

As for their own engine, virtually impossible to keep it relevant with the resources they have so it's an adjunct probably forever.
The reason why it is an adjunct isn't lack of resources at all. It's because there is literally no point in doing it right now. Wasting the user's resources and increasing memory usage dramatically just so that there are more detections by our engine instead of Bitdefender's is kinda pointless. That doesn't mean that if we were to drop Bitdefender we couldn't keep up with samples.
Signature creation at any AV company is heavily automated. Essentially you throw a bunch of malicious files and a large amount of non-malicious files into a system and it spits out signatures that match the malicious files, but do not match the non-malicious files in most simplest terms. There is no manual labour involved and hasn't been in like the last 10 years at the very least.

I don't know why this UI change is necessary.
I went into the reasons before. Essentially we are moving to a different UI toolkit that allows for better performance, hardware acceleration and ultimately more flexibility like the implementation of alternate themes. You may have also noticed that the UI very much feels like a website now. There are reasons for that as well, which we will probably reveal within the next months.

The reason you don't see a lot of detections by our engine is because we go out of our way to disable any signatures that are already covered by Bitdefender in an attempt to improve resource usage of your system. There is no point to have two signature for the same malicious files. So essentially when we see a new malware or PUP sample, we create a signature for it and that is usually a bit quicker than Bitdefender creating a signature as well. However, once Bitdefender adds a detection for the same sample, we will disable our signature as it became redundant.

That being said, when we look at our telemetry, our engine is responsible for the majority of detections on our user's systems. We usually don't make a lot of our statistics public, but a few years ago, we released some of them. Essentially, this was the breakdown of detection types about 3 years ago:

150314_antipup_typesofinfections.png

I can tell you, that it shifted even more towards PUP detection in later years, but it may actually be a good idea to have an update to that article and provide some more recent statistics.

So by far the biggest chunk of all infections we see are related to PUPs, vastly outnumbering literally anything else. As a result, the vast majority of all detections are coming from our engine:

150314_antipup_emsisoftengines.png

This is due to the fact that PUPs are so much more prevalent than actual malware these days and while Bitdefender does a good job at detecting malware, they don't care much about PUPs. As a result, our engine is detecting and removing about 4 times more PUPs than Bitdefender's does.

Communities like this one are very malware-centric. So when you do your tests with your malware packages only, you will not see a lot of our detections. Once you turn towards PUPs though, that will change drastically.

I couldn't agree with you more and what frustrates me is that when i first bought Emsisoft which was more than six yr's ago, it was a lion beginners had controls to set they didn't care about, an advance users made the most of them but now in 2018 we have the same lion but it's teeth is gone, perfect example bitdefender free reminds me at the moment of emsisoft, hardly any controls, it make me feel like they are catering this product to children.
Which controls have been removed compared to 6 years ago that you miss dearly?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.