New Fitbit Sense smartwatch could be ECG-capable by end of year

CyberPanther

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
Formally unveiled a couple of days ago and immediately put up for pre-order in the US, Fitbit's "most advanced health smartwatch" yet is only scheduled to begin shipping in late September. But early Fitbit Sense adopters may have to wait even longer for one of the product's main features to actually be enabled.

That's because the premium health-centric smartwatch follows in the footsteps of 2018's Apple Watch Series 4 and last year's Samsung Galaxy Watch Active 2 by debuting with dormant built-in ECG monitoring capabilities. For the life-saving technology to become active, Fitbit needs FDA clearance stateside, which can often take a really long time.

Obviously, one has to assume the wearable device manufacturer started the approval process way before officially announcing the Fitbit Sense, but the same could probably be said about the aforementioned Galaxy Watch Active 2, whose US owners remain unable of using the wrist-based ECG app.

While Fitbit initially kept things vague regarding ECG availability, the company quickly confirmed to the folks over at Wareable that the feature is expected to be authorized both in the United States and European Union "this side of the holidays."

Fitbit-Sense.jpg

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I have a Versa 2 - Not ready to lash out £300 on the sense yet - And then be nagged to death by FitBit to use their Premium software & be ordered around by my watch (I have a female to tell me to get up & do things) Probably inclined to look more at the Apple watch when the Versa 2 expires (maybe) :):)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Reactions: [correlate]

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.