Not open for further replies.

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Google engineers have added a new feature to the Chrome browser that automatically warns users when browsing settings have been altered by malicious software.

The new protection was unveiled in a blog post published Friday by Linus Upson, Google's vice president of engineering. It is designed to augment a feature introduced in October that allows users to return Chrome settings to a factory-fresh state with the click of a single button.

Malicious code frequently included with screensavers and other free software can surreptitiously make any number of changes to Chrome settings. Injecting ads into webpages and blocking the ability to revert settings to those previously chosen by the user are two of the more common ways unscrupulous developers tamper with browser options. The hijackings were among the top issue users reported in Chrome help forums when the reset button was introduced in October. Upson explained:

Despite this, settings hijacking remains our number one user complaint. To make sure the reset option reaches everyone who might need it, Chrome will be prompting Windows users whose settings appear to have been changed if they’d like to restore their browser settings back to factory default. If you’ve been affected by settings hijacking and would like to restore your settings, just click “Reset” on the prompt below when it appears.

Reset-Prompt-v1.png

Note that this will disable any extensions, apps, and themes you have installed. If you’d like to reactivate any of your extensions after the reset, you can find and re-enable them by looking in the Chrome menu under “More tools > Extensions.” Apps are automatically re-enabled the next time you use them.

Read more: http://arstechnica.com/security/201...e-warns-users-when-browser-has-been-hijacked/

I

illumination

Will this become an aggravating loop when the malware is imbedded into the registry causing this above prompt every time you start Chrome? The users will already be at wit's end, but then having to reset every time and re-enable their other extensions each time on top of it. Just a thought, has to be a better way to keep them from installing in the first place.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I had this pop-up the other day, I just opened my laptop from sleep mode to see this message in Chrome. Searched on Google (co-incidentally) and found no relevant results. At the time, AdBlock and LastPass were active, all other extensions were disabled. So wasn't sure what triggered this alert, so I ignored the warning - I'm sure it was a false alert.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
As illumination's question illustrates, :eek:"..an aggravating loop when the malware is imbedded into the registry...has to be a better way to keep them from installing in the first place.", I am also wondering whether Firefox is vulnerable to this type of hijacking, what extensions can prevent this, & since I use Comodo Dragon (now) rather than it's Big Chrome Brother, is this a feature Comodo may eventually include "Enter(-ing) The Dragon"?:D

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
As illumination's question illustrates, :eek:"..an aggravating loop when the malware is imbedded into the registry...", I am also wondering whether Firefox is vulnerable to this type of hijacking, what can extensions can prevent this, & since I use Comodo Dragon (now) rather than it's Big Chrome Brother, is this a feature Comodo may eventually include "Enter(-ing) The Dragon"?:D

+1 ur comment :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.