New in 2018.9: Improved Surf Protection and New Dark Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Thread author
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Over the last couple of months, our research and development team has created a new technical foundation for Emsisoft Anti-Malware’s Surf Protection to make it more robust and compatible with the latest changes in common web browsers.

Microsoft Edge is now fully supported and we also made some changes to stop Chrome incorrectly flagging our software as incompatible – without making any compromises on the level of protection provided to you.

The latest software release also adds a brand new and long-awaited Dark Mode, which changes the whole software to a dark color theme. You might find this new screen contrast gentler on your eyes, particularly if you mostly use your computer at night. It also helps slightly reduce the drain on laptop batteries.

To switch to Dark Mode, open the Settings panel and go to the “Advanced” section where you will find “Appearance” which you can change from “Bright” to “Dark”.

All 2018.9 improvements in a nutshell

Emsisoft Anti-Malware

• New Dark Mode.
  • Improved Surf Protection compatibility.
  • Several minor tweaks and fixes.
Emsisoft Enterprise Console

• Several minor tweaks and fixes.
How to obtain the new version

As always, so long as you have auto-updates enabled in the software, you will receive the latest version automatically during your regularly scheduled updates, which are hourly by default. New users, please download the full installer from our product pages.

Note to Enterprise users: If you have chosen to receive “Delayed” updates in the Update settings for your clients, they will receive the new software version no earlier than 30 days after the regular “Stable” availability. This gives you time to perform internal compatibility tests before a new version gets rolled out to your clients automatically.

Have a great and well-protected day!

The post New in 2018.9: Improved Surf Protection and New Dark Mode appeared first on Emsisoft | Security Blog.

Source: New in 2018.9: Improved Surf Protection and New Dark Mode

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
I hope those Surf Protection tweaks are the tweaks to address Google Chrome. EAM just crashed my Chrome browser once again and I have begun to realize that all the strange freezes and bugs I encounter in Chrome recently are actually due to EAM. I was fortunate that this happened when I wasn't working on something important. This can't continue to happen. You guys need to turn off Surf Protection for Chrome entirely.

Fabian Wosar

From Emsisoft
Verified
Developer
Well-known
Jun 29, 2014
Did you install an EAM beta version before? There was a bug in the IOAV/AMSI component that triggered processes to crash when they scan files downloaded from very long URLs (> 260 characters). That has been fixed in the release version. If you are using the release version and still encounter crashes, a crash dump would be helpful:

How do I configure automatic crash dumps in case of application failures?

A mini dump would probably be sufficient. Feel free to send it to me directly: fw@emsisoft.com. I am currently moving to a different country, so my reply may be a bit delayed but I will look into it as soon as I can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.