New in 2020.3: Redesigned Emsisoft Emergency Kit

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Thread author
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Emsisoft Emergency Kit is one of very few truly portable apps that come with a fully-featured dual-engine scanner and comprehensive cleaning abilities.

All 2020.3 improvements in a nutshell Emsisoft Anti-Malware
  • Redesigned Emergency Kit to go in line with the design of Emsisoft Anti-Malware.
  • New dark mode in Emsisoft Emergency Kit.
  • Several minor tweaks and fixes.

Source: New in 2020.3: Redesigned Emsisoft Emergency Kit | Emsisoft | Security Blog

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I'd like to try the new version but I've had problems with its driver.

I can't tell you how many times I've been unable to delete EEK when it was unable to update or to get the new release. So for anyone who has had this problem, here's the fix:

To quickly open an elevated Command Prompt on Windows 10 x64 simply right-click on the Start button, select Power Shell (Admin) from the menu, type cmd into Power Shell, and then press Enter on your keyboard. The window will remain blue, however it will execute the Command Prompt inside the Power Shell window, which will allow you to see normal feedback from commandline tools.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Emsisoft Emergency Kit is one of very few truly portable apps
ROFL, .sys can create BSOD and other problems. It requires you to buy a licence to update? Am I missing any other cool new feature?! 😣
While I understand, that a driver can help to remove a persistent malware, if a portable app is unable to remove itself, it becomes PUP itself.

Attachments

• capture_03032020_113202.jpg
    capture_03032020_113202.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 361

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
ROFL, .sys can create BSOD and other problems. It requires you to buy a licence to update? Am I missing any other cool new feature?! 😣
While I understand, that a driver can help to remove a persistent malware, if a portable app is unable to remove itself, it becomes PUP itself.
A similar report has been posted on the official forum. Although it did not seem to be confirmed on the emisi side. Probably a simple bug. The paid version of EEK is for companies. No license should be required for personal use.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
The EEK will be updated at about the same time as the EAM version upgrade. We don't expect EAM to evolve dramatically as we release a version with minor changes every month. Basically, such a version upgrade has been continued for several years. It is a security software like 'Water'. There is no irritation like carbonated water.

Outpost

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 11, 2020
The EEK will be updated at about the same time as the EAM version upgrade. We don't expect EAM to evolve dramatically as we release a version with minor changes every month. Basically, such a version upgrade has been continued for several years. It is a security software like 'Water'. There is no irritation like carbonated water.

I understand and agree with the fact that EEK is a product that does not present big innovations from one version to another. For this reason, it would have been enough to publish a release note stating that 2/3 minor bugs had been fixed. But "waving" the introduction of Dark mode by talking about redesign ... it seems a bit excessive.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
I understand and agree with the fact that EEK is a product that does not present big innovations from one version to another. For this reason, it would have been enough to publish a release note stating that 2/3 minor bugs had been fixed. But "waving" the introduction of Dark mode by talking about redesign ... it seems a bit excessive.
It's definitely not a feature update, so it may not be as appealing. I think it's a greeting to users who have requested dark mode support.🏳:)🏴

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
it seems a bit excessive.
Marketing/advertise normally always is. I can understand why they sort of " Flash " this update as it also involved a fresh/new " re-design " and not only the dark theme.
go in line with the design of Emsisoft Anti-Malware
Also as what @show-Zi mentioned, this software rarely gets major updates, but I disagree it didn't get any new features. The HaveIBeenPwned implementation is for sure a new feature.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
@Digmor Crusher
If you click OK in the ss dialog where @TairikuOkami is up, you will be taken to the pro version purchase screen.
@upnorth
Is there a free version button that cannot be selected because it is grayed out?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.