King Alpha

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 21, 2013
Hello! Earlier today I bought a brand new 2TB Seagate Internal HDD to replace my temporary 300GB HDD. The first thing I did was connect it to my PC (and other laptops) using USB-to-SATA Adapter. I opened the disk management and the HDD wasn't there, only the drive letter showing up and it says that there's "No Media". After that I connected it to the SATA cable to see if the PC will detect it. Unfortunately, it's still not detected (It says "PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable, PXE-MOF: Exiting PXE ROM, No bootable device - insert boot disk and press any key". I reinserted the HDD to see if this fix the issue, still no-go. :( But when I inserted the 300GB HDD the PC detected it as usual.

I don't know what to do now! Need help!

NikolayfromRussia

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Jul 3, 2014
You should check if you have purchased a good hard drive but not the defected one. Sometimes it may happen. I assume that because you have connected it to your PC (and other laptops) but the hard drive is not detected.

Reactions: King Alpha
Upvote 0

King Alpha

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 21, 2013
You should check if you have purchased a good hard drive but not the defected one. Sometimes it may happen. I assume that because you have connected it to your PC (and other laptops) but the hard drive is not detected.
Thanks! Do you think changing the mode (AHCI, Raid, IDE) of SATA ports will fix the problem?

Upvote 0

NikolayfromRussia

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Jul 3, 2014
Thanks! Do you think changing the mode (AHCI, Raid, IDE) of SATA ports will fix the problem?

You see it is difficult to understand what really wrong with it. About 5 years ago I was the active registered member on the Toshiba European Laptop forum. I am like other members tried to help the Toshiba users solving problems with hardware/software. Very often it was hard to understand what was the wrong with laptops. Because me like other forum members can't see/touch your hard drive to figure out the problem. You should check it by changing the modes...

Upvote 0

King Alpha

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 21, 2013
You see it is difficult to understand what really wrong with it. About 5 years ago I was the active registered member on the Toshiba European Laptop forum. I am like other members tried to help the Toshiba users solving problems with hardware/software. You should check it by changing the modes...
Good news is the SATA cable isn't the culprit. I think it's either the mode or the hard drive itself. Thanks buddy!

Reactions: Logethica
Upvote 0

King Alpha

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 21, 2013
I re-inserted the HDD and the BIOS detected it. It is also detected when I ran Windows 10 bootable usb, it's says that the HDD has "unallocated disk space" size: 1862.64TB. When I connected it to the PC with SATA-to-USB adapter it couldn't detect the HDD, even in the disk management. :( What should I do now? I don't want to start from zero again, it's a hassle to reinstall Windows 10. I really want to migrate my current OS and files to the new HDD.

Reactions: Logethica
Upvote 0

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
Just putting in my 2 cents. Usually for me whenever I stick my 1 tb drive into the computer it doesn't open because it always removes the drive letter. Have you checked to see if it has one or is it just say disk or something?

Reactions: King Alpha
Upvote 0

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
I re-inserted the HDD and the BIOS detected it. It is also detected when I ran Windows 10 bootable usb, it's says that the HDD has "unallocated disk space" size: 1862.64TB. When I connected it to the PC with SATA-to-USB adapter it couldn't detect the HDD, even in the disk management. :( What should I do now? I don't want to start from zero again, it's a hassle to reinstall Windows 10. I really want to migrate my current OS and files to the new HDD.
- Did you try to allocate all the space and format it, when it is inserted and the bios detect it ?
=> When running windows 10 bootable usb, you may have the advanced option to do it.
If it doesn't resolve the problem, try to make 2 partitions (1 TB max - using windows 10 bootable usb or another tool).
I remember that some "old" PC can have problem with detecting more than 1TB (bios problem).
- About "No bootable device - insert boot disk and press any key" : that's the message shown when trying to boot on a disk that isn't bootable, what is normal with a new HDD without system on it or a bootable part => you can't boot on a drive not "prepared" to be bootable.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 2913

His laptop originally had 300GB HDD, now he is trying 2TB HDD.
Can any size HDD be installed on laptop?

One of my laptop had 250GB HDD. When I was looking for new HDD, I checked the manuals of my laptop And few compatible HDD were mentioned with size 250-500GB. So I thought bigger size HDD cannot be installed.

Upvote 0

King Alpha

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 21, 2013
I figured it out guys! I used AOMEI Bootable USB. In the restore tab I selected the system backup image (recent backup of 300GB HDD) from my external HDD. After 30 mins I got my old system back. :) Sweet! lol.

Thanks guys for all the help! I appreciate it! @BoraMurdar, @NikolayfromRussia, @J Gamez065, @DardiM @yesnoo

Upvote 0

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
Upvote 0

King Alpha

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 21, 2013
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.