New investigations into the CCleaner incident point to a possible third stage that had keylogger cap

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Any better alternative for CCleaner?

Kerish Doctor, Glary, Bleachbit, Privacy Eraser Pro, Wise Cleaner, Privazer.

I have Kerish Doctor (Paid) installed real-time, use G Data's Tuneup (which actually works VERY well) running weekly. Then I do a manual Privazer run on each system once a month to clean up the deep stuff.

For Chromebooks, I just Powerwash them once a month.

Last edited by a moderator:

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
Before everyone start freaking out and dumping CCleaner, what AVAST's internal investigation uncovered is that the original compromised binary had more stages to it. Meaning, unless you are using that old compromised binary, this doesn't affect any of you. They also uncovered that CCleaner network was compromised. Gives that CCleaner wasn't security focused company, I'd say migrating their stuff to highly secure environment of avast! gives confidence that they've done it properly and ditched all the old stuff (and inspected it).

I frankly see no reason to dump CCleaner. It was highly targeted incident that could happen to any non-security focused company. Saying that's not true just means you're highly ignorant. Piriform was a small company, even if they kept security basics in check, they cannot possibly have the infrastructure, resources or competence that avast! has as a decades old security firm. That's just a fact.

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
I haven't had an easy time keeping up with this matter, but my understanding accords more with RejZoR 's post. I thought that only the one update of CCleaner (which I never downloaded) was compromised and there were no problems with the iterations before and after it. Anybody care to expound in more detail?

P

plat1098

If the brand name was changed, how would you perceive the product and Avast? If you had switched, would that motivate you to go back?

I took another look at this poll and Avast did the right thing with this disclosure. It's part of the same ominous global trend of state actors and exploitation of common software. It's news.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.