New Kaspersky 2020 English available

AntiTrust

Jun 10, 2019
Anyone around here with networking experience can run LST on their networks and see products like Kaspersky and Bit Defender tank them. That's locally, within the network infrastructure, and the situation becomes much worse when outside of the WAN is measured. In gaming, an 8 fold increase in pings is the difference between life and death. In day to day use, without such products then when they are added, it becomes extremely noticeable.

As speed and reliability increase, the net performance hit from these products becomes extremely noticeable due to the finer tolerances. When you play with 15ms pings to the major game servers with <1% buffer bloat and <2ms Jitter, you can't be bloating it up with suites that try to pull an 8-20 fold increase in TCP/UDP overhead.

Everyone goes insane over the 'weight' or 'ram' use of these products, but almost totally neglect the fact they are tanking their network and internet performance.

I installed BitDefender Total Security on 2 home computers. OMG, it tanked my Gigabit internet speed! 250Mbps down / 950Mbps upload. I had to get rid of it after spending hours trying to troubleshoot the issue. I even followed their support article talking about turning off the firewall to see if that fixes the slow internet speed. It did not. Support was no help either.

I'm quite impressed with KIS. I haven't installed 2020 yet since I just got KIS19 installed. However, I have run countless speed tests over the last 5+ days, and I have yet to notice any slowness with KIS. I always get 950Mbps down / 950Mbps up with KIS installed.

KIS is much ligher too on RAM. It's using roughly around 100MB between the two running services. Bitdefender would use between 425MB - 600MB during IDLE time. Wow!

I hear nothing but good reviews about Bitdefender, but their software has always run horribly on my computers. This is the 2nd year in a row I've tried Bitdefender (I like to review from year to year) and I got the same symptoms as last year. High RAM usage and it slowed down my Internet. I guess we'll see how 2020 runs later this year! Until then, I'm sticking with KIS!

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Everyone goes insane over the 'weight' or 'ram' use of these products, but almost totally neglect the fact they are tanking their network and internet performance
If the impact on internet performance was noticeable with Kaspersky, I think people would be complaining about it. If no one notices, it must be too minor to make a difference, or maybe people have found workarounds, such as disabling scanning for encrypted connections?

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
Kaspersky seem to just constantly refine their products instead of adding extra features don't they. They've got great products and they know it so gentle refinement is all that's really needed from version to version. Plus compatibility fixes for new Windows 10 releases.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Kaspersky seem to just constantly refine their products instead of adding extra features don't they. They've got great products and they know it so gentle refinement is all that's really needed from version to version. Plus compatibility fixes for new Windows 10 releases.
They have a new feature called Safe Kids, it is similar in many ways to Norton Family.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I can t figure out how to get the en-GB version of KFA ( apparently GDPR ready) :mad:
No Dutch (nl) version yet?
Can anybody help me with that?
Unfortunately it seems that the KFA versions are not there yet.
I can find the SAAS version. Kaspersky Security Cloud 2020.
Can that be installed as free version (Kaspersky Security Cloud Free)?

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Unfortunately it seems that the KFA versions are not there yet.
You can install KIS20, activate it with the trial license, and then when you uninstall it will nag you to give it another chance, and when you decline, it will offer you a downgrade to KFA. But you will only get the downgrade offer after you activated the trial license. That's the way it worked for me, anyway...

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.