New malware bundle self-spreads through YouTube gaming videos

[correlate]

Level 18
Thread author
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2019
A new malware bundle uses victims' YouTube channels to upload malicious video tutorials advertising fake cheats and cracks for popular video games to spread the malicious package further.

The self-spreading malware bundle has been promoted in YouTube videos targeting fans playing FIFA, Final Fantasy, Forza Horizon, Lego Star Wars, and Spider-Man.

These uploaded videos contain links to download the fake cracks and cheats, but in reality, they install the same self-spreading malware bundle that infected the uploader.

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
And once again they are increasing the file size of the malicious exe by adding junk data without any function, so that some AVs and online malware analysis platforms can't scan the file because it exceeds the file size limit in order for them to scan the file. I already tried to explain it in another thread but I think it's worth sharing here again, so people don't fall for this.

artek

Level 5
Verified
May 23, 2014
And once again they are increasing the file size of the malicious exe by adding junk data without any function, so that some AVs and online malware analysis platforms can't scan the file because it exceeds the file size limit in order for them to scan the file. I already tried to explain it in another thread but I think it's worth sharing here again, so people don't fall for this.

Certain AV labs too. I had a malicious android .apk I sent around to a few vendors (with android offerings) filled with normal files and what I thought was a banking Trojan. I only received two replies from vendors. Only 1 confirmed it was malicious (F-Secure). Microsoft wouldn't analyze the file because it contained too many sub files when unpacked.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.