Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
I happened to come across a new Security software called the MalwareFox.
It has been promoted in many answers and comments at Quora by a few folks.
Here's what the product looks like:
Screenshot (51).png
And what their claims are:
Screenshot (50).png

Absolutely! A clone of Zemana Antimalware having the same components and design.
The differences and notable points being
  1. Made to appear unique, providing a digital signature 'Wolf of Webstreet OPC Private Limited' TM o_O
  2. F-secure Deepguard blocked it (aka-suspicious) just like it had blocked Zemana
  3. I tried installing MF on my Win 8.1, and it said "a newer version is already installed.." (you know WHO!)
  4. Same no of trial days as dear Zemana gives
  5. These guys have recently added, or can I say, copied some famous Ransomware decryptors to their site to add some honor and credibility
The website reviews are not less fun.
It reminds me of the promotion of Protegent antivirus just based on the fact that it provided backup features.
How unfortunate of me, I didn't get to test this new piece of software.
Could someone give it a try?

Parsh

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
I've used it before, and it is just a rebrand of Zemana.
I wonder about the risk have they undertaken.
Though it looks like a cunningly intelligent business method and they've got it signed (that's always costly but helpful), they are bound to suffer if their product gets challenged in a hard way.

I've seen such cloning earlier too, and in some cases, the original company doesn't care much until the clone product reaches some level of fame and appears as a threat. The latter is bound to doom otherwise. Promotion of the clone by the dummy is mainly viewed as elevating the image of the original brand and product to an extent, hence the original co. doesn't interfere at surface level.

Btw, any notable difference or it's the same Pandora baby?

Last edited:

Aura

Level 20
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
They are linking decrypters from Emsisoft and BleepingComputer. I'll drop a PM to Grinler and Fabian to see if they are aware of it.

Reactions: Wave and Parsh
W

Wave

They are linking decrypters from Emsisoft and BleepingComputer. I'll drop a PM to Grinler and Fabian to see if they are aware of it.
They re-branded Zemana for a reason... They aren't capable. :D

And good idea btw :)

Reactions: Parsh

Parsh

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
Yes, and they've included links to decryptors from Kaspersky too. Linking them shouldn't be an issue since the links are redirecting the user to the respective websites first.
The product itself is the real hijack I believe.

Aura

Level 20
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
The way they present that page is the thing I have a problem with. It's almost as if they were claiming the decrypters are their, and that using their product would protect the user against them so.

Parsh

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
Well well, found another aspirant. It's a bit old though (2015): Watchdog Online Security
We have years of specialized experience in removing sophisticated threats that have silently embedded themselves on systems that were deemed safe. With millions of users globally, it's the Watchdog product family that includes content filtering and security solutions for computers and network devices, including home routers.
Watchdog-Online-Security-Pro_2.png
With the same set of features, same UI and it has mentions of Pandora technology.
There's also no mention of Zemana on their site, though the packaging of the app and the context details shout Zemana! It also accepts my ZAM license key, indicating that they do not have their own model.

Parsh

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
Wasnt there another clone of zemana called watchdog antimalware or something?
They have it on their site. The differences according to the two's descriptions are that "Online Security Pro" version has additions like: Keystroke logging protection, Intrusion protection, Ransomware protection. This is enough already :|

insanity

Level 5
Verified
Oct 9, 2016
Does Zemana license their software to be used by these companies or are they simply copycats?

Parsh

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
Does Zemana license their software to be used by these companies or are they simply copycats?
You can find a partial answer to this in post #3.
I do not think these have a license from Zemana in anyway. There are no official mentions by either of them, the (apparently) clones exaggerate their presence by stating that they've been experts in researching malware and system protection and the fact that Zemana's licenses directly work in these indicate either bad revenue modelling or just crap, copycat-ing!
They have not even replaced the word 'Zemana' at places like the Explorer context menu entry. They've made unprofessional editing of strings at different places in the UI and clubbed their digital signatures for some credibility. Who knows, they might not even have the infra or the skills to modify the licensing system and period. Or doing that could break their app connectivity due to verification process.

A question remains that how or why does Zemana cloud allow requests from modified clients (in case they validate). Again, what if Zemana is indirectly benefiting by all this by name (they won't be ignorant all these years, would they be)?

Reactions: insanity
P

PEllis

Watchdog still offer lifetime licenses, whereas Zemana doesn't. Just bought one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.