Not open for further replies.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Microsoft’s Windows Self-Healing Tool Can Fix Critical Anniversary Update Issues

Users are experiencing several issues with the Windows 10 Anniversary Update, including random freezing that occurs when logging to the desktop after installing this new release.

And while Microsoft has already acknowledged the bug and said that a fix was being developed, a patch is not yet available for everyone, so users’ only options are workarounds that others have suggested online.

The software giant, however, has been hard at work on a tool that can help deal with those issues, and it turns out that an early version is already available for download.

Called “Windows Self-Healing Tool,” the new app can help repair system components and detect corrupt files, repair system corruption, and update system, according to the official description presented to users when launching it. And according to a post on the Community forums, it can also help repair the freezing issue that we’ve told you about, although this can’t be guaranteed right now.

App causing other issues too
Microsoft user and Windows insider MarkMazzetti explains on the forums that this solution helped fix the freezing issues, but on the other hand, it might have caused another problem on his computer running the Windows 10 Anniversary Update - this is probably one of the reasons Microsoft hasn’t released this app to everyone just yet.

“There is a new issue that I believe is a result of this Selfhealing patch. There is now random FLASHING of the screen - the same kind of flash you see when you reload the entire OS either via Recover from the cloud or using a USB stick recovery image. The flash I describe shows the rectangle box that you see in an instant when you reload the OS. MS is aware of this. This had never happened before (random flashing like it is reloading the OS) until I applied the Selfhealing patch,” the user explains.

Microsoft is already looking into all these bugs, and a fix should be provided in the coming weeks, and hopefully, the Windows Self-Healing Tool becomes available to all. In the meantime, you can download it here, but keep in mind that it’s kind of a risky solution since it could lead to other issues.

Download http://aka.ms/windowsselfhealing

*Be advised MS has not released this tool to everyone yet and although it seems to fix the freezing issues some have experienced other issues after using it such as screen flickering.

As always use at your own risk

Terry Ganzi

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2014
Several mainstream tech sites this week published details of a purported new Microsoft support tool designed to fix problems with the Windows 10 Anniversary Update. After some digging, I can report that it is no such thing. My advice: Stay far away from this "Windows Self Healing Tool."

If you want to be a Windows expert, one of the most important lessons to learn is skepticism. Whenever someone claims to have a magic fix-it tool or a MakeRocketShipGoFast registry tweak, you should keep it away from any system you care about until you can confirm it does what it says it does.

You can continue to read the rest here: Unauthorized, mislabeled Microsoft support tool leaks; could cause more trouble than it cures | ZDNet

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
As always you should use anything with caution and although it was released here New MS Tool to repair problems with Anniversary Update available
Most of the sites reporting this tool did however state that there were other issues that could occur from the use of this tool.
MS is working to fix the freezing issue and whether or not they fine tune this tool to accomplish that remains to be seen
It is however not officially released by MS.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well anything that are 3rd party should take with risk especially the factors of possible issues like hardware and software that can bind. It is a case to case basis.

Reactions: DardiM

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
Haven't had any computer destroying issues with the update. I would think it to be smarter to wait for an update then use "repair tools".

H

hjlbx

If you research how Windows Update and Upgrade process actually works, it becomes readily apparent as to why the push and update processes are so problem-prone.

For example, I think a lot of forced upgrades to W10 were the result of errors\poor implementation of W10 Upgrade within the larger Microsoft Update process - which is a massive, gargantuan, unbelievably complex procedure\process.

Not defending MS by any means... I think their Update process still sucks...

jadequest99

Level 3
Verified
Sep 15, 2014
Absolutely take precaution but that's why there are programs to scan before activating new software and VM ware, Shadow defender, SandBoxie and so on. Thank you for sharing with us.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.